Premed 101 Forums

Making money in the summer

liverpool

All med school application boosting aspects aside, what summer job pays the most...I was thinking landscaping or construction or something? I was looking to make as much money as possible this summer and was wondering how to do so...

Other than starting your own business...also not selling drugs or becoming a prostitute or other like things...

Roofing is absolutely back breaking work for a summer job. I worked in landscaping and yard maintenance last summer, it has to depend on the company you work for. My boss was great and had it so we only worked 4 days a week, but it was incase we got rained out during the week. It was a fun job and paid enough to cover bills and some extra.

I did construction and it payed about the same as roofing was for my buddy. Arguably roofing might be harder work, since you can't as easily use large equipment up there and you don't get any relief from the sun/heat, but both are pretty hard work.

The roofing company my friend worked for definitely hired people without experience and actually cycled through guys who would be there for as little as a couple weeks. I live in an area where labour jobs are in large supply though, so it might not be the same in other places.

totally true! the reason jobs in alberta pay so well (and are even available) is because the cities have no staff because everyone goes to the oil patch, plus they feed you (well), provide internet, your own room, recreation, so your cost of living is 0. you have to be comfortable being sort of isolated though, as you may not get along with the oil patch crowd (or may wonderfully).

If your up for it, you can always go and work in the oil patch. They are begging for labourers out here all the time. Can net about $20K in a 4 months of work. Need no or little experience, just have to be physically fit.

Archived