Premed 101 Forums

Best Carribean Schools after the BIG 4?

So SGU, Ross, SABA and AUC are the big 4 and best accredited schools.

However, which are the best 4 or 5 options after those four schools?

1. American University of Antigua College of Medicine has NYSED accreditation (new york).

2. St. Matthews has ACCM accreditation.

3. Medical University of the Americas - Nevis has ACCM.

Are these the best carib schools after the big 4?

Are there any better options?

Thanks for the help guys.

So SGU, Ross, SABA and AUC are the big 4 and best accredited schools.

However, which are the best 4 or 5 options after those four schools?

1. American University of Antigua College of Medicine has NYSED accreditation (new york).

2. St. Matthews has ACCM accreditation.

3. Medical University of the Americas - Nevis has ACCM.

Are these the best carib schools after the big 4?

Are there any better options?

Thanks for the help guys.

Why are you considering schools other than the "big 4"?

If I were you, I would consider schools in Ireland, UK or Australia instead.

I don't think I'd get admission there. My gpa is too low... 2.9. There's personal reasons behind that gpa. But it is what it is now.

I agree with canuck.

My GPA is 3.31, used to be solid 4.00 after the first year, then same as you, due to a personal circumstance (parents divorce + financial disaster), it dropped down to 2.5 (basically failed all courses), 2.8, 2.9, 3.1, 3.3 (yes, six years in undergrad), almost gave up on med after 2nd and 3rd year, then changed my mind, got crazy, almost 4.00 every year afterwards, and now i'm here. I've applied to UBC, alberta, queens, western, mcmaster, some schools in US, and all 6 schools in ireland. Will apply to the big 4 and australia.

If I were you, I'd take a couple more of years in undergrad, kill your gpa with dazzling ECs + mcat and sound research practice+a few publications and posters.

How is your mcat? ECs, research?

I found some posts on other threads where people got into some decent australian, caribbean or even irish schools with gpa similar to yours.

If you think you can bring up your GPA, I don't see any harm giving it a try, but if you don't think you can, give up. It can't get any simpler.

One physician who I went to a medial volunteer trip to africa with told me, no matter who you are or what your gpa is like, there will always be door open for you, as long as you try your best.

Have you tried applying? Hows your mcat score? I wouldnt dismiss the mentioned countries just yet. Theres other things that can stand out on your application...eg. killer mcat, lots of ec's, good interview........all this is considered not just the gpa.

I agree with canuck.

My GPA is 3.31, used to be solid 4.00 after the first year, then same as you, due to a personal circumstance (parents divorce + financial disaster), it dropped down to 2.5 (basically failed all courses), 2.8, 2.9, 3.1, 3.3 (yes, six years in undergrad), almost gave up on med after 2nd and 3rd year, then changed my mind, got crazy, almost 4.00 every year afterwards, and now i'm here. I've applied to UBC, alberta, queens, western, mcmaster, some schools in US, and all 6 schools in ireland. Will apply to the big 4 and australia.

If I were you, I'd take a couple more of years in undergrad, kill your gpa with dazzling ECs + mcat and sound research practice+a few publications and posters.

How is your mcat? ECs, research?

I found some posts on other threads where people got into some decent australian, caribbean or even irish schools with gpa similar to yours.

If you think you can bring up your GPA, I don't see any harm giving it a try, but if you don't think you can, give up. It can't get any simpler.

One physician who I went to a medial volunteer trip to africa with told me, no matter who you are or what your gpa is like, there will always be door open for you, as long as you try your best.

I don't have an mcat score, I voided when I wrote it this year because I think my verbal would've been terrible.

My ECs are kind of average. (I stopped doing ECs when I realized my marks were dropping too low to for the ECs to even matter)

I think I can push up my GPA and get a few good ECs under my belt.

However, I'm in the position where I'm not really getting support to do extra years of undergrad. That's why my best option is to enroll in a caribbean or other international school and be ready to go in september.That's why my best choice right now is getting into the best international school I can with my GPA.

Anyhow, what is the advantage of going to Ireland or Aus over the Caribbean? Do they have better residency-matching rates into the US?

That's what it comes down to isn't it?

If you plan to end up in the US for residency, then the Carrib schools are a better bet for you. Especially the big 4. They have agreements with other American schools and hospitals, and your electives would be done in the US.

AFAIK...Canadian med schools do not accept applications for electives from Carribean schools. They do accept them from Aus, Uk and Ireland, and I think its crucial to do your electives in Canada if you plan on matching there.

Note that it's getting harder to match to US due to the increased number of local medical graduates. Once the ratio of med grad:residency becomes 1:1, IMGs and Carib grads are screwed. Having said that, Aus and Ireland are bloody expensive so if money is an issue, Carib would be your best bet. Like macstjo said, you can do extra undergrad years to apply to Canadian schools that look at your recent years' gpa only. With your gpa, you won't make it for Irish schools, but you might still have a chance for some Aus schools if your MCAT is decent.

No offense but if you can't even get into the top 4 schools then I would not go anywhere. Read the FAQ I made for reasons why. If your GPA is 2.9 you could probably still get in if you write the MCAT and get a decent score; at least a 30 or above. The step 1 pass rate at these shady schools is so low it boggles my mind as to 1) what kind of people they let into their school and 2) how disorganized the program must be.

AFAIK...Canadian med schools do not accept applications for electives from Carribean schools. They do accept them from Aus, Uk and Ireland, and I think its crucial to do your electives in Canada if you plan on matching there.

Most of them do, except BC and Alberta. I think there's also one school in Ontario that only allows commonwealth schools, but the rest are fair game.

No offense but if you can't even get into the top 4 schools then I would not go anywhere. Read the FAQ I made for reasons why. If your GPA is 2.9 you could probably still get in if you write the MCAT and get a decent score; at least a 30 or above. The step 1 pass rate at these shady schools is so low it boggles my mind as to 1) what kind of people they let into their school and 2) how disorganized the program must be.

Hey leviathan, I'm in the same boat as lomalinda is.

Have you heard of AUA and MUA?

They don't look like bad schools.

MUA is actually owned by same organization who own SABA I think. They're sister schools possibly.

Hey leviathan, I'm in the same boat as lomalinda is.

Have you heard of AUA and MUA?

They don't look like bad schools.

MUA is actually owned by same organization who own SABA I think. They're sister schools possibly.

AUA takes people who were expelled from Saba, and gives them full credit for all the semesters they have already completed, even though they were kicked out of another med school. Don't know what to think about a school that does that shady business.

I know people from MUA and it's probably a good school. They have the same infrastructure and curriculum as Saba although the professors might not be as good and their clinical sites might be pretty weak in comparison. Unfortunately it is not 50 state approved and that is a major problem with that school. Also if your GPA is so low that you can't get into Saba or SGU etc., how can you prove you have the ability to make it through? It seems like a huge risk. If you can score well on the MCAT it might give some proof that you have the potential, but then a good MCAT should help you get into one of the better schools anyway.

Archived