6- The Doctor

8- Patch Adams

10- And the Band Played On

11- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

13- The Race for the Double Helix

17- Sicko

27- Pathology

These are the ones I've seen.

Philadelphia is an excellent drama, though it's thankfully somewhat dated both in its presentation of popular acceptance of homosexuality and the prognosis of HIV-AIDS.

The Doctor holds up pretty well - about a cardiothoracic surgeon who discovers he has laryngeal ca. It's quiet and talky but worth it.

Patch Adams is an abysmal, manipulative schlock fest that should be avoided at all costs. One of Robin Williams' worst, to be sure, and the fact that it ends with an impassioned courtroom speech nails its particular coffin shut.

And the Band Played On is one of the finest dramatizations of the early years of HIV ever made - it's also an "outbreak" movie which is neither sensational (e.g. Outbreak) nor purposely drained of all human emotion in some sort of "clinical" endeavour (e.g. Contagion). Excellent, excellent film, brought down only a little bit by an excessive number of obvious celebrity cameos. And it has Ian MacKellen.

Cuckoo's Nest is certainly well worth it, but I feel that it does more a disservice to current psychiatric care (especially ECT!) than anything else. Not sure it holds up that well.

The Double Helix is another wonderful docudrama, though it definitely requires patience. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to find on video.

Sicko, well, I suppose it's a well put-together Michael Moore documentary, but don't expect anything profound.

As for Pathology, well, it was nothing more than a disgusting gross-out "thriller" that makes the Saw movies seem positively mature. It was nauseating and the characters were worse.

Patch Adams is an abysmal, manipulative schlock fest that should be avoided at all costs. One of Robin Williams' worst, to be sure, and the fact that it ends with an impassioned courtroom speech nails its particular coffin shut.

THANK YOU!!!

THANK YOU!!!

When I saw the thread title, I was thinking: "I hope Patch Adams is not on the list."

When I saw the list, I was in "locked and loaded" mode, ready to tear it, but you beat me to it.

I have issues with the "real" Patch Adams. I watched some of his speeches on youtube. In one, he talks about how he doesn't believe in medicating people, even those that are mentally ill. He relates how he rocked a hallucinating schizophrenic patient all night long. I agree that having a human side to medicine is a positive thing, but I just don't see how that type of treatment plan is sustainable or even ethical.

As part of its 4th year curriculum, UWO offers an elective in "Medicine and Film", taught by the inimitable Dr. Nisker. I kid you not.

It used to, the good Doctor I believe has moved on - he no longer teaches Ethics either.

I actually liked Wit by the way, but then again I really like Emma Thompson as an actor.

It used to, the good Doctor I believe has moved on - he no longer teaches Ethics either.

I actually liked Wit by the way, but then again I really like Emma Thompson as an actor.

Drs. Nisker, Madrenas, Potter all MIA; a Hippo logo that doesn't involve a cartoon H. amphibius with unkempt pubic hair; the Mustangs losing to Mac in the Yates Cup --- what has happened to my medical school!!! :eek:

Archived