Premed 101 Forums

The most irresponsible thing I did with my LOC is...

I didn't see a similar thread so I decide to start one, just because it could be fun.

I know most of us tend to be pretty responsible but I am sure some of us have done things with our med school LOC that the banks didn't intend (i.e. strippers in the largest suite at the Bellagio in Vegas :P)

Personally, I used a large chunk towards a deposit on a condo. Not exactly super irresponsible but not what the bank would recommend.

What did you guys do apart from pay school and living expenses?

So.. do you have a tip to stop feeling guilty about treating yourself that way? I'm all ears ;)

Ha, not really, I just think back to the time I spent working two jobs, or going to school full-time AND working full-time, or that time I got vicious food poisoning from food bank Christmas ham and spent the entire holidays laid out in bed vomiting on the floor and then any feelings of guilt disappear.:D

Heh. I probably have everybody on this board beat in this respect. I fund amateur racing ambitions with all the associated costs that come with modifying my car to be competitive. It costs more than I ever thought. But like jochi said I've worked more or less since I was 12 and I even came out of UG with some savings. Its about time to embrace the inevitability of debt that will be in all our lives! lol

Btw to the Quebecers, you really don't need a LOC. Your tuition is too low and your Quebec loans (comes soon enough for premeds too) too generous. I wouldn't have touched a loc if I knew there was a chance of graduating on government loans alone.

And as for feeling guilty...everyone has a threshold of debt IMO. At some point of debt you'll get the "eff it" attitude and be less frugal. I'm pretty sure I've passed mine a few months ago. An extra $100 no longer phases me. :rolleyes:

Btw to the Quebecers, you really don't need a LOC. Your tuition is too low and your Quebec loans (comes soon enough for premeds too) too generous. I wouldn't have touched a loc if I knew there was a chance of graduating on government loans alone.

Actually yeah you do need one if you live on your own. The Quebec loans covers my rent and tuition and that's it. Doesn't even start to cover food, clothes, utilities, books, material and the rest. And that's because my place is pretty cheap too compared to other places in town. I started the year with savings + the loan, so I might possibly make it without touching my LOC this year, but definitely not next year.

^ I'm not sure about UdeM's tuition. But if its like McGill's it should be easily manageable. I'd say at least 30% of my class that live on their own hasn't touched a LOC or gotten a LOC. Depends on your standard of living I guess. For reference they're getting 12k in bursaries plus 6k in loans and usually some amount from McGill bursaries. And then of course you can make more with summer/fall research bursaries, anatomy dissection program, etc. Or go to Gatineau and get another $10k/yr. Lots of options.

I get 12K from Quebec in bursaries and loans (max I can get since no revenue). Rent alone is just over 7K. That leaves 5K for tuition and everything else. Say tuition is around 2K per semester. That leaves $1000 for food, utilities, books, etc. No way that's enough even if I still live pretty cheaply. I won't have to dig deep into my LOC, but I couldn't do it without, and I refuse to not eat for the next x years.

I get 12K from Quebec in bursaries and loans (max I can get since no revenue). Rent alone is just over 7K. That leaves 5K for tuition and everything else. Say tuition is around 2K per semester. That leaves $1000 for food, utilities, books, etc. No way that's enough even if I still live pretty cheaply. I won't have to dig deep into my LOC, but I couldn't do it without, and I refuse to not eat for the next x years.

I didn't get bursaries and loans this year. Didn't apply since I'm only taking 12 credits per semester and the amount you get is based on credits but I'll apply next year. I could use 12k.

Hey guys,

Just so I know how irresponsible to be with my OSAP and current savings and such....

How much of your tuition/living expenses will loans cover when you're in med school?

Depends on if the med school program is considered 2 semester long or 3 semester (including summer). If its full year then you'll probably get something around 18k assuming no savings, car, or other income (parents excluded). 10,950 is in loan, the rest is bursaries. All that will more or less cover tuition. The rest you have to manage with LOC and bursaries/scholarships if any. If its a 2 semester program then you'll get less OSAP aid, dunno how much less though.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived