Premed 101 Forums

What's it with all the "rape" comments?

JB.

Where are you from? I find that hard to believe (not calling you a liar or anything).

I'm from Southern Ontario. I go to school across the border, but I seriously have never heard "rape" used in that context and I have not heard "gay" used in slang form since high school.

A serious question for all of you who say "it's just a word, get over it"

Do you feel the same way about the "N" word? How about the "C" word?

Think about it.

I just about can guarantee any of you, if you have a close friend, or a sister, or a child who is raped someday, you will feel differently about using that word flippantly.

why is rape such an offensive term whereas murder is not, when murder is unquestionably a worse outcome?

Unless of course the victim never gets over the rape incident(s) and is subject to deep psychological trauma that they'll have to live with for the rest of their life. Could possibly lead them to suicide too.

Is it because murder is required to bask in the glory of a victorious war?

Murder and fighting in war are generally thought of as two different things. In a war both sides understand that they could die, but they're fighting each other to protect something they believe in. Murder is killing someone for your own personal gain. Keep in mind you can also have murder during war in the case of genocide or concentration camps.

Rape, a terrible crime perpretrated upon one individual, is not as socially offensive a term as racial slurs, which are words used to dehumanize and homogenize people of a certain race. Rape as a word has multiple different meanings and uses and can be used figuratively and literally. Racial slurs cannot be used without refering to the marginalization of a particular race.

You may not find it offensive yourself but I bet if you start using it liberally around a rape victim they're not gonna congratulate you for finding their new favorite word. Racial slurs are actually used by people (not white people of course) to joke around and bring them closer together. Like in the case of black people. You know what I'm talking about. But especially in that particular case, there's no way a white guy could go around saying that.

People should be able to say what they want, and it should be up to the listener to judge. We should not censor what we say because we may offend someone. I certainly do not.

To an extent that's true, but there are laws against hate speech because some people take what others say to the next level.

Think about it.

I just about can guarantee any of you, if you have a close friend, or a sister, or a child who is raped someday, you will feel differently about using that word flippantly.

With the frequency at which it's included in mainstream music to the public on a daily basis, this word is becoming increasingly desensitized. And in my opinion, rightly so. Now, I'm not an advocate of this word at all, but I feel it's a blatant double standard that one person can be offended when called a N****R, but turn around to his/her friend and call them the same word in a casual way

but I feel it's a blatant double standard that one person can be offended when called a N****R, but turn around to his/her friend and call them the same word in a casual way

It's kinda the same as if you're making a derogatory joke about your own race. You can do that and nobody will care because it's acceptable coming from you. But if you make a derogatory joke about someone else's race then people get on your case. That's just how the world works.

Think about it.

Are you talking about the word c*nt, as in female genitalia?

As for word usage, people should try to be sensitive about P's and Q's. However, freedom of speech wins out over not offending people, so I am not a big fan of making formal rules or laws restricting a fundamental human right.

i hear raped like 5 times a day, actually often in terms of a joke with regard to gay rape (looks like nabokov is getting anal raped (as in dropping the soap) again, must suck playing goal for the islanders)

Sounds like a local colloquialism. Can't say I approve of it, but I haven't really the word in reference to an exam.

Think about it.

It's all about context. My friend calling me a P*ki even though I'm Indian is totally different from some random calling me one to try to belittle me. My close circle of friends consists almost entirely of Africans and Hispanics and none of them really care about racial terms or stereotypes either.

There's always the possibility of offending someone with whatever you say. When people are getting offended over words like "rape" we might as well stop saying stuff like "killed" too.

i hear raped like 5 times a day, actually often in terms of a joke with regard to gay rape (looks like nabokov is getting anal raped (as in dropping the soap) again, must suck playing goal for the islanders)

I think you said you lived out west (or went to school there) in one of your earlier posts. I live all the way in Ontario. So maybe people who've never heard the term are from small towns or something? I dunno. If it's being said on the other side of the country too then it can't just be a local thing.

i dated a girl that would occassionally start shaking and convulsing a few minutes after sex because of ptsd from forced sex at 15, that's how she lost her virginity, not pleasant. i get really upset when people trivialize the experience of being sexually assaulted, say it's womens faults for dressing a certain way or that they act too slutty, that we should cut funding for support services for people who go through these kind of experiences, or downplay the sever nature of the experience. the colloquial use of a word, however, doesn't offend me as much.

i've heard raped in edmonton, calgary, vancouver, and toronto just in the last few months. i think the expression's sort of integrated itself into the canadian youth's vernacular.

Sounds like a local colloquialism. Can't say I approve of it, but I haven't really the word in reference to an exam.

the ex i mentioned above, that had been sexually assaulted, use to use the term rape in joking terms, does that mean she has permission to use the term because she's been assaulted... you're view is self contradictory, if each person is an individual, a black person saying nigger is to be held accountable because he may be offending other black people who think of the term as derogatory, not every black person is walking off of the set of a snoop dogg music video.

It's kinda the same as if you're making a derogatory joke about your own race. You can do that and nobody will care because it's acceptable coming from you. But if you make a derogatory joke about someone else's race then people get on your case. That's just how the world works.

the ex i mentioned above, that had been sexually assaulted, use to use the term rape in joking terms, does that mean she has permission to use the term because she's been assaulted... you're view is self contradictory, if each person is an individual, a black person saying nigger is to be held accountable because he may be offending other black people who think of the term as derogatory, not every black person is walking off of the set of a snoop dogg music video.

ROFL

10char

EDIT: It was the last part that made me laugh

I'm from southern Ontario too' date=' and I've been hearing that word used in that context since I was in elementary school.[/quote']

I bet most of us are from Southern Ontario- the area is large enough for to see trends in local colloquaillisms not seen in other areas.

i've heard raped in edmonton, calgary, vancouver, and toronto just in the last few months. i think the expression's sort of integrated itself into the canadian youth's vernacular.

Never heard it in Vancouver. I heard "I got fucked" quite a bit, though.

Think about it.

At work, I get called a Frog and a Chug all the time. Doesn't bother me. It just looks bad on them. One of my co-workers got called a N-word a few times. He looked at them with a smile and said, "is that all you got?" The offenders would then deflate and walk away while everyone just laughed at them.

You're right about having a family member or friend who was raped; it would probably wake a lot of people up. The N word is completely different from rape and isn't a good example. Rape is an action that most people are familiar with by watching movies and hearing about it. This term has not been used against a group of people for centuries as a form of repression. The N word, on the other hand, is a term that an entire race has been labelled with and it was used against them for a long, long time.

I feel differently about the C word though. I've never used it but its no different than someone calling a man a dick. I've seen plenty of women call men dicks and no one ever gets offended over that. The C word is completely the same thing for women as far as I am concerned. Its just a word and mostly used as a joke or express anger.

There! Now it's more readable.

Dino... Bringing you more dicks.

you're view is self contradictory, if each person is an individual, a black person saying nigger is to be held accountable because he may be offending other black people who think of the term as derogatory, not every black person is walking off of the set of a snoop dogg music video.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that it's acceptable for people to use certain terms within certain groups. For instance I can call myself yellow around my friends, but I wouldn't go around calling other Asians yellow at random.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant that it's acceptable for people to use certain terms within certain groups. For instance I can call myself yellow around my friends, but I wouldn't go around calling other Asians yellow at random.

Do you call yourself a twinkie or a banana? My niece does all the time. And her name is Anna.

Honestly, I don't think anyone is thinking that much when using this word, lol. I doubt the choice of words, especially over the internet, reflects one's character and ability to be an empathetic doctor when put into that situation.

"I got raped by an exam"

"If you didn't do well this semester, make sure you rape next semester"

Seriously?

I get that it's just a word, a loaded one at that, but don't you think that it's fairly insensitive to throw that word around? It bothers me that a community of people who hope to one day work closely with the public and will see the after effects of rape in many fields i.e. children born from rape, STDs or other physical issues, psychological problems etc, could so carelessly throw around a word that can have such devastating and life changing effects.

I myself find this word to be little disturbing, but I agree that people aren't really thinking [at least not visually] when using this type of word, as it is 'content-dependent' word...saying that the midterm was f***** hard is different from saying stop f***** me etc. I am not saying that it is okay to use these terms, but what I am saying is to not get too offended by these words as people usually say it without realizing, probably because it makes them feel cool, and/or they want to fit in. I do think people need to be careful on what type of language they use, and to make sure it is not necessary offensive, given that there are huge selection of 'appropriate' words that can convey similar meaning.

Archived