Premed 101 Forums

What's it with all the "rape" comments?

JB.

"I got raped by an exam"

"If you didn't do well this semester, make sure you rape next semester"

Seriously?

I get that it's just a word, a loaded one at that, but don't you think that it's fairly insensitive to throw that word around? It bothers me that a community of people who hope to one day work closely with the public and will see the after effects of rape in many fields i.e. children born from rape, STDs or other physical issues, psychological problems etc, could so carelessly throw around a word that can have such devastating and life changing effects.

"I got raped by an exam"

Seriously?

I get that it's just a word, a loaded one at that, but don't you think that it's fairly insensitive to throw that word around? It bothers me that a community of people who hope to one day work closely with the public and will see the after effects of rape in many fields i.e. children born from rape, STDs or other physical issues, psychological problems etc, could so carelessly throw around a word that can have such devastating and life changing effects.

Maybe because rape is some common that it's becoming banal (because Humans are becoming so evil).

"I got raped by an exam"

Seriously?

Honestly, I don't think anyone is thinking that much when using this word, lol. I doubt the choice of words, especially over the internet, reflects one's character and ability to be an empathetic doctor when put into that situation.

It is just like the word 'gay', it doesn't have a meaning any more because some people use it in every sentence..Some words just lose meaning over time no matter what they are.

Strongly disagree. Gay most definitely has meaning. I have heard numerous people use the word gay in a sentence that denotes a negative connotation (ie. this party is gay etc...), when the origins of the word have nothing do to with that at all. Also, being the father to a step-son, I hear children using this word all the time, always with a negative connotation attached as well (this homework assignment is gay etc...).

I agree with the OP, in that people should be a little more careful with the words they throw around. If you wouldn't use the word speaking 1:1 with someone why would you use the word on an internet forum (my best guess would be that people don't care because it is an anonymous forum, which is a very poor reason).

what's with all the gay or fag comments, or camparing everyone to nazis... i'm not sure jewish survivors would be too happy... idioms are hard to pin down, especially when pop culture also projects a humorized version of these events (dropping the soap, jokingly poking fun at gay culture, all those hitler youtube videos where people superimpose subtitles on crazy hitler in the bunker)

http://www.fightscameraaction.com/videos/315/funny-gay-fight-mad-tv

even hitler's so long gong that no one makes a big deal out of him, these are all over the place:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1723d21611/the-white-house-bunker-election-night-2009

"I got raped by an exam"

Seriously?

Strongly disagree. Gay most definitely has meaning. I have heard numerous people use the word gay in a sentence that denotes a negative connotation (ie. this party is gay etc...), when the origins of the word have nothing do to with that at all. Also, being the father to a step-son, I hear children using this word all the time, always with a negative connotation attached as well (this homework assignment is gay etc...).

I agree with the OP, in that people should be a little more careful with the words they throw around. If you wouldn't use the word speaking 1:1 with someone why would you use the word on an internet forum (my best guess would be that people don't care because it is an anonymous forum, which is a very poor reason).

'Gay' might have a meaning, but the meaning is so corrupted that it means nothing any more. Although people use gay in a negative manner, it usually means 'stupid' (ie. this homework assignment is stupid/gay) The more the word is used, the more meaning less it gets, just like the f-word.

The word "rape"

You never know who is listening when you use that word colloquially. Please don't use it. If you ever meet someone who has been raped, it's a very traumatic experience and many, many things can trigger a deep depression, shame, other terrible feelings. Just don't use it. It's not quite like the other words in that you can't necessarily identify someone who has been raped just by looking at them.

If you are ever able to have a friendship and a conversation with a person who has been raped, and you're able to talk to them about how the casual usage of the word makes them feel, I guarantee you will never use it that way again.

I've never really seen the word "rape" used, but that might be because most people around me are French speaking.

As for the word "gay", I don't like it but it's oh so common now in both languages. One of my very best friends is a lesbian and it doesn't bother her or her girlfriend anymore as they're very comfortable with themselves.. I can see how it might make some people uncomfortable though and wish people put more thoughts into their words..

Well, I disagree with the OP. Rape is definitely a traumatic event but would anyone be crying if someone said "I murdered that test"? It just is a metaphor to show emphasis on how much domination happened. They aren't promoting rape nor are they joking that rape actually occurred. I remember the saying a few years back, "X raped me of my dignity."

People need to stop being so sensitive. Otherwise, we will live in a society where we duck and dodge every other word or statement. The reality is that these words are just words and most mean nothing by it. Rape and similar terms are not words that can be assigned to a specific group unless one openly identifies themselves as a rape victim. Only then should one refrain from saying it. The same goes for words like "gay" and "f*g" and "retarded", etc. When friends get together, they joke around and throw these words around for comedic effect (or any other effect). It then slips into their lingo and they accidentally use it around members of the identified group. All that needs to be done is an apology at that point.

I don't think you understand the psychological trauma that can occur with events like this. OK- within your group of friends, yes, you use it and it seems OK. But then you say that word with your friends while waiting for the bus and someone overhears... you will never know to apologize to that person. Get it?

Same on a forum like this. I can just about gurantee you there is a rape survivor on this forum, but posters here will never know and will never be able to apologize.

As far as using violent, modern-day slang terms like "raped", we can use one of these less offensive expressions instead:

creamed

beaten to a pulp

decapitated

stabbed

crucified

pistol-wipped

tarred and feathered

gerbiled

drawn and quartered

milked

thrown over board

amputated

lobotomised

hot-buttered

shoved in the meat-grinder

flogged

skinned alive

iron-maidened

stretch-racked

discombobulated

flogged

whipped

dismembered

crippled

run over

shanked

cooked

crushed

sodomised

etc.

It would probably generate less adverse comments.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Love!

As far as using violent, modern-day slang terms like "raped", we can use one of these less offensive expressions instead:

creamed

beaten to a pulp

decapitated

stabbed

crucified

tarred and feathered

drawn and quartered

milked

thrown over board

amputated

lobotomised

hot-buttered

flogged

skinned alive

iron-maidened

stretch-racked

discombobulated

flogged

whipped

dismembered

crippled

run over

shanked

cooked

crushed

sodomised

etc.

Love!

Funny. I'll be sure to watch out for people I might offend next time I'm saying I got "skinned alive" instead of "raped". I'll try to stop saying "beaten" out in public too, since you never know whether the person standing beside you was beaten up in a fight at one point or another during their life.

It's just silly. Never realized people would read into the words used by someone online to judge whether or not they'd be good at working with people, lol.

yea i think if anyone is offended by the word rape they need to develop a thicker skin no offense. people are too soft these days... ive been through an excruciating emotionally traumatic physical experience that people often make offhand comments about and they used to pass through me like hot knives and would make me feel depressed for hours, in fact sometimes i would abandon what i was doing to go home and cry in the basement, but i realized that i was the one who needed to toughen the f*ck up, you cant control what comes out of peoples mouths but you can certainly control yourself.

creamed

beaten to a pulp

decapitated

stabbed

crucified

tarred and feathered

drawn and quartered

milked

thrown over board

amputated

lobotomised

hot-buttered

flogged

skinned alive

iron-maidened

stretch-racked

discombobulated

flogged

whipped

dismembered

crippled

run over

shanked

cooked

crushed

sodomised

etc.

Love!

Lmao.... some funny ones here. hopefully i'll be using them to refer to me doing well on the exam, not the exam "hot-buttering" me instead

I think it's important to remember that the English language isn't stagnant and over time culture will change the meaning of words. So, I don't think it's proper to say that word 'X' only means meaning 'A'. Over time, culture impacts language a great deal, so word 'X' can also be interpreted as meaning 'B'. Each word has a denotation and many connotations

Lmao.... some funny ones here. hopefully i'll be using them to refer to me doing well on the exam, not the exam "hot-buttering" me instead

"Hot-buttering" is actually a type of assault where someones heats up a sticky food like butter or jam, until it boils, then tosses it in someone's face. It's becoming more and more common in correctional institutions. I have seen faces that are now scarred for life.

"Hot-buttering" is actually a type of assault where someones heats up a sticky food like butter or jam, until it boils, then toss it in someone's face. It's becoming more and more common in correctional institutions. I have seen faces that are now scarred for life.

I thought you were full of crap, but then I googled it and now stand corrected.

I made the thread not only because I find the term offensive, but because it was shocking to me that despite all the forums I frequent, and all the students and general public I come into contact with or have a chance to over-hear their conversation, this is the only place I have heard "rape" used in that way.

I used the first word once in a crowd saying how the exam "raped" me. Then I felt soo bad for like 2 weeks because one girl gave me a bad look making me realize how inappropriate it was.

Never going to use it again. Never used "gay" as an adjective before but have heard many people use it particularly kids. I do not think people have bad intentions when using these words.

I made the thread not only because I find the term offensive, but because it was shocking to me that despite all the forums I frequent, and all the students and general public I come into contact with or have a chance to over-hear their conversation, this is the only place I have heard "rape" used in that way.

Where are you from? I find that hard to believe (not calling you a liar or anything).

i hear raped like 5 times a day, actually often in terms of a joke with regard to gay rape (looks like nabokov is getting anal raped (as in dropping the soap) again, must suck playing goal for the islanders)

Where are you from? I find that hard to believe (not calling you a liar or anything).

Archived