Premed 101 Forums

there is this girl..

h3jk5h

I have a crush on this girl on my university campus. I don't know what to do. I am hesitating to ask her out because I am afraid my grades will suffer if I get into a relationship. After all, gpa is most important to get into med school right? My gpa is in the low 3.0's as of now after I received my December marks, I'm in arts and science and it seems impossible to get a 3.9 (my original goal).

What should I do?

I have a crush on this girl on my university campus. I don't know what to do. I am hesitating to ask her out because I am afraid my grades will suffer if I get into a relationship. After all, gpa is most important to get into med school right? My gpa is in the low 3.0's as of now after I received my December marks, I'm in arts and science and it seems impossible to get a 3.9 (my original goal).

What should I do?

I think I understand how you feel :) before I started to date my boyfriend, I was so scared I would not stay focused and that my marks would drop. At that point my GPA was in the mid 3.0 range. Luckily for me, the grade drop did not happen. Rather, the oppsite through time. Though, at first you tend to spend a lot of time together -- that's a special time because you start to get a feel for the other person. If you feel that you are spending too much time together, tell her how you feel since communication is vital.

Looking back, I can't imagine what it would have been like if I had not started dating my boyfriend. We have now been together 5 years, after all :)

If you really like this girl, I say go for it.

If grades are important be open about that with her but first you need to even see if something exists between you two. Just ask her out. See how it goes from there.

If you two hit it off and end up spending more time together then that's where the comversation comes up:

Look, i like you and love spending time with you and want to spend more time with you but am afraid of doing so because gpa is very important to my future career goals yet i think you're worth seeing if is going anywhere.

So with approach you've made it known that you enjoy spending time with her, that you like her and that grades are important to you but that you think its worth trying to see if there's more between you and where it can go. From here you suggest a certain day or night as date night and maybe if you're both in school you can also find a day during the week to each lunch together.

With this approach and by setting aside specific time each week to see each other you may find it enhances your studies so that you make 100% sure all your study time is accounted for.

Just an idea.

I agree with Cerena. Same thing happened to me as well. I met my girlfriend at the end of second year and really got to know her in summer. And I don't know when and how but I grew very affectionate towards her. But I went through the same state of mind as you are in right now. I did not want it to move any further and get in a relationship cause I assumed it will jeopardize my GPA. So I told myself it was just a crush and soon it will go away. But that was not the case. I could not stop thinking about what would happen if I told her and she felt the same way. And this went on for a year. One day I was very frustrated with how I was performing in school (my GPA was all time low) and decided to just confront her. Maybe just telling her would take the load off my shoulder and I can focus better in school. I was not expecting any answer from her. Just wanted to let it out. So I did. And little did I knew, she felt the same way. We have been together for a little over 1.5 years now and i am more focused and happier than ever. I don't wake up every morning thinking 'what if...'. We help each other in getting closer to our goals. I soo wish I had told her sooner. My third year GPA would have been a different story.

Bottom line, Just go for it. If you know that thinking about it will bother, just let it out. Do your part and leave the rest to fate. Don't expect anything from her.

I hope it works out for you.

Goodluck

it's weird, i've dated people where it caused my grades to tank, but when i was dating my longest term ex-gf (most of undergrad), my marks were always above 3.8 at the least, i found that when you have a longer term partner it's more of a consistent support... some days you can just chill, relax and study, other days you can go on a crazy adventure, you become more of a unit or team in a way. when you first start going out with someone there's a lot more "work" involved, but this really depends on the person, so i say go for it and try, you know the old saying, you never know unless you try, lol.

What should I do?

What should I do?

You don't need a relationship. You need sex, though. Just go out with her a couple times, no strings attached. Don't become boyfriend/girlfriend. You should wait until you finish your residency, or at least med school before you have a serious relationship. In the meantime, keep her in your bullpen, along with a vew others. This is the best way to be succesful. By the time you finish school, you may have lost interest in her, but your grades will already have suffered by then. Relationships require time you don't have. Casual sex with no commitment and keeping your options open until you are at least 25 is your best route to success. And for goodness' sake, no kids before you establish a practice. Nowadays, we live longer than ever. No need to rush. BTW, alway, Always, ALWAYS use.

protection.

You don't need a relationship. You need sex, though. Just go out with her a couple times, no strings attached. Don't become boyfriend/girlfriend. You should wait until you finish your residency, or at least med school before you have a serious relationship. In the meantime, keep her in your bullpen, along with a vew others. This is the best way to be succesful. By the time you finish school, you may have lost interest in her, but your grades will already have suffered by then. Relationships require time you don't have. Casual sex with no commitment and keeping your options open until you are at least 25 is your best route to success. And for goodness' sake, no kids before you establish a practice. Nowadays, we live longer than ever. No need to rush. BTW, alway, Always, ALWAYS use.

protection.

*slow clap*

protection.

How do I have sex with her without being her boyfriend first? It does sound like a cool idea, but how do I execute?

How do I have sex with her without being her boyfriend first? It does sound like a cool idea, but how do I execute?

Develop some game. Tell them you'll be a doctor, be self-confident, attract them by giving the impression you are / will be rich and / or powerful. Don't commit, don't call any of them your girlfriend, let them know they are competing with others, don't ever compliment them. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it works. Many, mostly hot, young women are attracted to self-confident a-holes and will do almost anything for their attention. Be nice to them and they run. How many times have you said: "what is that hot chick doing with such an a-hole? He doesn't even look good!" That's why. You are no longer in high school and don't need to be boyfriend / girlfriend first. This is where it goes the other way. 30+ women are even easier. They don't play games and are usually not looking for a boyfriend. They will think they still "got it" if a youger guy takes advantage of their availability.

It's a new world out there. You're finally an adult.

Develop some game. Tell them you'll be a doctor, be self-confident, attract them by giving the impression you are / will be rich and / or powerful. Don't commit, don't call any of them your girlfriend, let them know they are competing with others, don't ever compliment them. This may seem counter-intuitive, but it works. Many, mostly hot, young women are attracted to self-confident a-holes and will do almost anything for their attention. Be nice to them and they run. How many times have you said: "what is that hot chick doing with such an a-hole? He doesn't even look good!" That's why. You are no longer in high school and don't need to be boyfriend / girlfriend first. This is where it goes the other way. 30+ women are even easier. They don't play games and are usually not looking for a boyfriend. They will think they still "got it" if a youger guy takes advantage of their availability.

It's a new world out there. You're finally an adult.

:eek:

Ouch!

Of course it's a generalisation, but generalisations are generally true. You will notice I don't use "all" or "always". The suggestions I gave "generally" apply to "hot" chicks, because they are more insecure and are really hard on themselves. There are many possible explanations as to why they are attracted to self-confident jerk, but it is not of any big concern to a man who just wants one thing without too many inconveniences.

The best course of action for these men is to just act the part and reap the benefits, without slowing down your path to professional success. As far as ethics go, in the game of sex, we ALL play a game, even the ladies. It's a jungle.

Of course it's a generalisation, but generalisations are generally true. You will notice I don't use "all" or "always". The suggestions I gave "generally" apply to "hot" chicks, because they are more insecure and are really hard on themselves. There are many possible explanations as to why they are attracted to self-confident jerk, but it is not of any big concern to a man who just wants one thing without too many inconveniences.

The best course of action for these men is to just act the part and reap the benefits, without slowing down your path to professional success. As far as ethics go, in the game of sex, we ALL play a game, even the ladies. It's a jungle.

What is the definition of "hot"? :P

9 or 10.

8.5 in a pinch.

9 or 10 of what? Looks, intelligence, clothes, prestige, reputation? What if this hot chick is also an intelligent chick? :P

What if... what if she's a freakin' Angelina Jolie?! lol

Ask medigeek. He's got a whole algorithmic system worked out to determine hotness.

I'll be sure to ask. ;)

Archived