Premed 101 Forums

Confused OOP

Hey,

For OOPs do they want more than 90% average in MCAT or GPA? I read in the website that OOPs apply through the MCAT only option. Even though I'm not applying this year, I guess it's better to clear the confusion.

GPA I believe - it was 92.4% the year I was accepted there as the cut off.

Thanks for the reply. But do you know why it is called MCAT only option?

My understanding is that the "MCAT only" option means that you are free to apply without the extensive list of prerequisite courses that are otherwise listed for people who haven't written the MCAT. This allows you to apply with any number of different courses but you will still have to make the GPA cutoff that is applied to everyone, MCAT and prerequisite options alike. The MCAT only option is applied to all OOP applicants because it makes the process easier than trying to determine if everyone's courses are equivalent to the prerequisites required.

My understanding is that the "MCAT only" option means that you are free to apply without the extensive list of prerequisite courses that are otherwise listed for people who haven't written the MCAT. This allows you to apply with any number of different courses but you will still have to make the GPA cutoff that is applied to everyone, MCAT and prerequisite options alike. The MCAT only option is applied to all OOP applicants because it makes the process easier than trying to determine if everyone's courses are equivalent to the prerequisites required.

Thanks for making it clear.

Thats right! In that Dr. Ziola once said that it was too much work for Heather (from Admission Committee) to determine whether certain prerequisites were equivalent or not, and then at the end, those out of province students don't even accept Usask offer because they have high enough marks to be admitted to their home university. So they just made out of province take MCAT instead just to ease the process. j

Thats right! In that Dr. Ziola once said that it was too much work for Heather (from Admission Committee) to determine whether certain prerequisites were equivalent or not, and then at the end, those out of province students don't even accept Usask offer because they have high enough marks to be admitted to their home university. So they just made out of province take MCAT instead just to ease the process. j

Even though they try to make it equal for OOP students (100% MMI for all OOP) It's still unfair for IP; any IP can follow any degree of their choosing... whether it be Physio/Pharma, Micro/Immu, Economics, Psychology... some degrees are easier than others allowing for certain students to get better marks than others...

Even though they try to make it equal for OOP students (100% MMI for all OOP) It's still unfair for IP; any IP can follow any degree of their choosing... whether it be Physio/Pharma, Micro/Immu, Economics, Psychology... some degrees are easier than others allowing for certain students to get better marks than others...

Sorry? I don't it get it... you mean the admission criteria for IP is not fair or the other way around? It does not matter, I believe, what degree OOP choose, they have to have 92%+ in order to get interview invitation. And after interview, their acceptance is 100% based on MMI.

Well I'm trying to say, its easy to get high marks in some degrees than others:D Does U of S med care about that?... not really :( But, could it screw people when they are in med?... quite possibly ;)

Ummmm OK. Quite the keen eye you got. Better go tell all the med schools across NA what thou hast stumbled upon.

LoL .......

I don't want to try and fight you Simpsons, but you are quite the hypocrite aren't you... judging by your past posts, I would say you fall into my criteria perfectly... Are you even in the BMSC core platform or are you following another degree for higher marks? ;)

Again, I hate fighting so lets leave it at that...

Well I'm trying to say, its easy to get high marks in some degrees than others:D Does U of S med care about that?... not really :(But, could it screw people when they are in med?... quite possibly ;)

Whether you are an OOP student or an IP, it does not matter what program/degree you follow since College of Medicine at Usask do not care about what degree you have pursued. While it is true that a Physiology degree might be more helpful in med school, others degrees such as a BA, or Bcom will not necessarily "screw" future med students. I read somewhere in the College of Medicine website that students who have studied physiology/anatomy might be at benefit in phase A, but this difference tends to decrease in later years.

Honestly, I don't how much do I agree with you on certain degrees being "easy". A matter of fact is whichever degree you pursue, you will HAVE to do some work to get high marks...you cannot expect to get 90% and not do any work.

P.S. Please keep the level of insult down, and respect each other opinionS.

I don't want to try and fight you Simpsons, but you are quite the hypocrite aren't you... judging by your past posts, I would say you fall into my criteria perfectly... Are you even in the BMSC core platform or are you following another degree for higher marks? ;)

Again, I hate fighting so lets leave it at that...

I am beginning to think that you dont consider us to be best friends

LoL .......

But seriously, sorry if that was too harsh. However you must consider that the "unfair flaw" is more like an axiom across med schools in NA and has been for a while. Technically med schools would prefer everyone do the same program but they ALL waived the requirement. Why do you think that is? Yes, because having that requirement was "unfair" to more people than it was "fair." Simple matter of pros vs. cons. Hence warranting my reaction to your bigotry.

Better go tell all the music majors in 4th year CoM (Dean mentioned there are quite a few) that they will fail.... oh wait im doing it again.. scratch that!

P.S: You have had this similar discussion with yazir? in your electives/encouragement thread.

Did David say that all students who took 'easy' degrees will fail in med school? No. Did he say that non-BMSC students, who would have been successful had they taken BMSC, will fail in med school because they chose an 'easy' major? Doesn't seem like it.

He seems to be arguing that weak students who were admitted on the basis of their high marks in 'easy' programs may struggle in med school if they do not have the academic skills required to get through a rigorous med curriculum, yet slipped through the admissions screening for those skills. There is no indication that David would assume music majors in med school would fail only on the basis that they were music majors.

The Boss comprehended the logic perfectly :D I just wanted to make a note of it, that is all, not start a major argument with simpsons.

Oh btw,

"I am beginning to think that you dont consider us to be best friends"

I'm not sure if I can recall building a relationship with you?!:confused: lololololol... you are extremely vengeful

Did David say that all students who took 'easy' degrees will fail in med school? No. Did he say that non-BMSC students, who would have been successful had they taken BMSC, will fail in med school because they chose an 'easy' major? Doesn't seem like it.

He seems to be arguing that weak students who were admitted on the basis of their high marks in 'easy' programs may struggle in med school if they do not have the academic skills required to get through a rigorous med curriculum, yet slipped through the admissions screening for those skills. There is no indication that David would assume music majors in med school would fail only on the basis that they were music majors.

Good point Boss! However, what you suggested he was arguing wasnt stated either and was open to interpretation. Aishley and I had a similar negative connotation of what David was saying. Meh ....

hahaha... don't classify yourself and Aishley to have a similar interpretation... you know its pointless to argue this...

True, Aishley said whatever degree you pursue you need to put in the effort... but think logically about the situation... (this is not open to interpretation as you said it was)

Situation:

Student A is an econ major and Student B is a Biochem major... student A's curriculum has a variety of intro economics (lets say Econ 111, 114) coupled with prereq's... while student B's curriculum has prereq's and BMSC courses (lets say 200, 220, 210, 230...)

Do you HONESTLY believe that Econ 111 and 114 are harder or require the same effort as you put into BMSC 200, 230, 210?????:confused:

If you do, I respect your choice and will not argue with you... if you don't, I don't care either way...

I'm wasting precious seconds of my life here... so lets end this argument.:cool:

Good point Boss! However, what you suggested he was arguing wasnt stated either and was open to interpretation. Aishley and I had a similar negative connotation of what David was saying. Meh ....

:confused:

hahaha... don't classify yourself and Aishley to have a similar interpretation... you know its pointless to argue this...

True, Aishley said whatever degree you pursue you need to put in the effort... but think logically about the situation... (this is not open to interpretation as you said it was)

Situation:

Student A is an econ major and Student B is a Biochem major... student A's curriculum has a variety of intro economics (lets say Econ 111, 114) coupled with prereq's... while student B's curriculum has prereq's and BMSC courses (lets say 200, 220, 210, 230...)

Do you HONESTLY believe that Econ 111 and 114 are harder or require the same effort as you put into BMSC 200, 230, 210?????:confused:

If you do, I respect your choice and will not argue with you... if you don't, I don't care either way...

I'm wasting precious seconds of my life here... so lets end this argument.:cool:

Well you cannot compare a junior course with a senior one!

hahaha... jk, just wanted to argue thats all :D Prepping for MMI this way... :D rofl

awww...I thought the argument just started heating!!! hehehe [just kidding]:P

P.S. ever wonder how did this threat was even lead to this!

:confused:

Well you cannot compare a junior course with a senior one!

Archived