Premed 101 Forums

Are these 6 courses too much to handle in one semester?

Anikauoft

I assumed you've successfully completed your first semester. Reflect on the course load and the amount of time you dedicated to your studies. Only you know your potential and can critique if you can handle it.

Imo, they look tough, but anything is achievable.

Hey AtomSmasher6, I didn't know you were back on the forums :)

It's definitely doable, a lot of people here did it successfully,will probably just mean much less procastination in any case and efficient studying

Unless this guy got 4.0 in all five of his courses last semester, then your argument is invalid.

i think you're spreading yourself too thin. CLA204 and GLG130 were bird courses back when I was at UofT, but the other science courses are really heavy...

Hi,

I'm a first year uoft student. I'm taking bio130,chm139, mat136, psy100, cla204 and glg130 in my second semester.

Do you think it's possible to manage this course load and keep my sanity?

Cla204 - classics

glg130 - geology

Seems fine to me, if you did well in your first semester and feel up to a little more of the same another course will be fine. Most of my semesters in UG were 6 courses (so that I could finish that degree early) and it is not that much more work. If however you already felt bogged down with 5 courses you should not take more (obviously)... also like people have mentioned, if you are not doing it to get done early then there is really no point in doing more than 5 per semester.

I have no idea what classics is, but geology and psych have extremely easy intro courses. Another person pointed out it's a bird course so I'll add that to the geology+psych group. Chem is super easy if you keep up with the material. For math you usually have it or you don't, so if you're a math person add it to the easy pile. Now bio.. I didn't like in first year, so no comment on that.

The biggest problem with taking additional courses is you have more exams to do that will divide your time more than if you had less courses. So if you found that last you were able to well and had free time, go for it. If I were you though, I would just pick up an EC.

If you tell us why you want to do 6 courses this semester we will be able to offer you more personalized advice as opposed to generalizing

thank you for replying :)

Actually I only took 4 courses first semester, like I dropped a course because it was just very uninteresting, and by that time, too late to find another one.

So, my goal was to have done 10 half courses first year, so I wouldn't have to do summer school, or take 6 in one semester in later years.

I understand what you're saying about wearing myself thin, so right now I'm leaning towards just doing 5. I'm thinking of dropping either glg130 or cla204. Hmm, any suggestions which one to drop? Cla204 would fulfill a breadth requirement but it's a lot of reading.. hmm.

thank you for replying :)

Actually I only took 4 courses first semester, like I dropped a course because it was just very uninteresting, and by that time, too late to find another one.

So, my goal was to have done 10 half courses first year, so I wouldn't have to do summer school, or take 6 in one semester in later years.

I understand what you're saying about wearing myself thin, so right now I'm leaning towards just doing 5. I'm thinking of dropping either glg130 or cla204. Hmm, any suggestions which one to drop? Cla204 would fulfill a breadth requirement but it's a lot of reading.. hmm.

Which to drop: Put all the courses you don't need in a line and get rid of the most difficult one (or least interesting)

Archived