Premed 101 Forums

Do any of you guys....

ditde

...smoke weed? I smoked way too much in my first semester and it ****ed me up badly. I had to claw my way back to a respectable GPA. Next semester's about to start and to be honest I don't see myself giving it up completely (I'm not a major pot head or anything but weed there is just SO CHEAP! :D).

But this time round I'm definitely only doing it in moderation and only when I have spare time.

Any med-students willing to admit to being lovers of the green?

...smoke weed? I smoked way too much in my first semester and it ****ed me up badly. I had to claw my way back to a respectable GPA. Next semester's about to start and to be honest I don't see myself giving it up completely (I'm not a major pot head or anything but weed there is just SO CHEAP! :D).

But this time round I'm definitely only doing it in moderation and only when I have spare time.

wut bro?....

I do not have high regard for people who use drugs recreationally. Not only is it a very base form of entertainment, but you are damaging your body in the process. Try getting a real hobby, loser.

I do not have high regard for people who use drugs recreationally. Not only is it a very base form of entertainment, but you are damaging your body in the process. Try getting a real hobby, loser.

will you say the same about anyone who drinks or smokes tobacco? both of those are drugs as well and are used recreationally. They also do more damage to your body than marijuana.

You're obviously free to have your opinion, but honestly what purpose does this post serve?

And to answer the OP's original query, there are definitely medical students in my class who smoke and I don't think it really affects their ability as students. Can't be just worse than binge drinking anyway.

In case you're not a troll here's a question for you : how about people who drink alcohol (even in moderate amounts) or who smoke cigarettes?

Lol, sounds like its coming from an 8th grader. Cigrettes and Alcohol is worse from what I've heard.

I won't deny it, but I've done pot about 3 times now in my life....I didn't like it and did it due to peer pressure. I don't drink alcohol (hate the taste and after effects of alcohol) and never smoked a tabbaco/cigrette.

Try to stop completely.

I was somewhat in the same boat as you. I enjoyed my time in first year (weed, alcohol, parties) and I loved it. Until the marks came out, that is. Because of my first year I have no chance of getting into U of T med.

Anyway I decided to stop smoking weed. And I did. I'm two years 'clean' now - not that I ever was addicted. And I thought I didn't smoke that much.. I also saw some of my friends who became heavy smokers and I could tell their eyes are different. That scared me and was another reason to stop.

If I wasn't clear: It's best to stop completely. The sooner, the better.

will you say the same about anyone who drinks or smokes tobacco? both of those are drugs as well and are used recreationally. They also do more damage to your body than marijuana.

No, I don't say the same about people who drink and smoke tabacco. Alcohol and tabacco use don't correlate nearly as strongly with a low quality of character as marijuana use does, meaning I can't write off everyone who drinks and smokes tabacco as scum (which is what I do with potheads). Although I don't approve of any drug use beyond a glass of wine at dinner, health effects are irrelevant in my stereotyping process.

No, I don't say the same about people who drink and smoke tabacco. Alcohol and tabacco use don't correlate nearly as strongly with a low quality of character as marijuana use does, meaning I can't write off everyone who drinks and smokes tabacco as scum (which is what I do with potheads). Although I don't approve of any drug use beyond a glass of wine at dinner, health effects are irrelevant in my stereotyping process.

A troll is obvious from a mile away.

A troll is obvious from a mile away.

Oh, sorry I said something you disagree with. Let me change my opinion to suit your needs.

Illegal drug users are identical to people who do not take them in every way. Taking illegal drugs is as legitimate a form of entertainment as every other hobby. In fact, it could be considered an art form. Taking illegal drugs does not ruin your life in any way. It is wrong to discriminate against people who take drugs, in hiring practices or otherwise.

Are they actually or you're speculating? And regardless it won't matter because according to a CARMS report on IMGs, the number of grads will peak in 2013 and the competition for each IMG seat will exponentially increase... so as bad as it is now, it'll be extremely worse.

Source?

Oh, right.

Also corellation =/= causation.

Can we just IP ban this guy already, since he has had 5 other accounts banned?

i always seem to have the most profound insights into what i need to change in my life talking to a friend, while on mdma, because of the fact that you're far more open and truthful to yourself, and have less emotional barriers to being open about your life, people are also more frank with giving you advice, and you're more likely to listen, drugs are like anything else in life, they can be abused, an escape from a painful reality, or a wonderful tool for exploring yourself, others, and the mysteries of human conciousness. i dont think steve jobs was a loser, he claimed using lsd was a life changing moment for him, gary mullis (pcr creator) who said he came up with the idea for pcr while on lsd, what about paul erdos, the most prolific mathematician (1500 publications) of the twentieth century and his enjoyment of amphetamines. William Burroughs and Heroing, Jack Kerouac and Benzedrine, the prolific pharmacologist Alberta Hoffman (hoffman-laroche), who used lsd multiple times a week. I could go on forever

I personally dislike marijuana (smoking it at least, brownies are a different story), and think there's a real difference between occasional drug use for constructive purposes (mostly people who use psychadelics and mdma from my observations, they may also use amphetamines or cocaine irregularly, but i find these two can go either way, with some people using the two often to escape depression, pressure to perform, gain confidence and some people enjoying them only occassionally) and regular use for escapism etc. (these people tend to enjoy downers a lot more, pain meds, heroin, weed, from my observation).

I'd also like to add that many drugs have poor health effects because people aren't educated as to proper use, do not do research or have access to professionals who can advice them to use a drug safely, don't use testing kits, aren't aware of interactions (cocaine and alcohol is a bad one i see many people do all the time, and i always tell them how dangerous it is because of cocoethylene, but people don't listen, le sigh...). as to your reference in character, my room mate, who is an img, worked at the liquor store beside the hospital, and knew many of the doctors as he would often shadow there, named a number of excellent physicians who would go in for a mickey every night, i also know numerous professionals who occasionally use hard drugs but refuse to drink to excess (i, for one, personally strongly dislike most alcohol, besides wine, and maybe a beer with dinner).

My advice to the OP would be to lay off the weed, weed is notoriously bad for your short term memory and isn't as innocuous as people think.

i always seem to have the most profound insights into what i need to change in my life talking to a friend, while on mdma, because of the fact that you're far more open and truthful to yourself, and have less emotional barriers to being open about your life, people are also more frank with giving you advice, and you're more likely to listen, drugs are like anything else in life, they can be abused, an escape from a painful reality, or a wonderful tool for exploring yourself, others, and the mysteries of human conciousness. i dont think steve jobs was a loser, he claimed using lsd was a life changing moment for him, gary mullis (pcr creator) who said he came up with the idea for pcr while on lsd, what about paul erdos, the most prolific mathematician (1500 publications) of the twentieth century and his enjoyment of amphetamines. William Burroughs and Heroing, Jack Kerouac and Benzedrine, the prolific pharmacologist Alberta Hoffman (hoffman-laroche), who used lsd multiple times a week. I could go on forever

I personally dislike marijuana (smoking it at least, brownies are a different story), and think there's a real difference between occasional drug use for constructive purposes (mostly people who use psychadelics and mdma from my observations, they may also use amphetamines or cocaine irregularly, but i find these two can go either way, with some people using the two often to escape depression, pressure to perform, gain confidence and some people enjoying them only occassionally) and regular use for escapism etc. (these people tend to enjoy downers a lot more, pain meds, heroin, weed, from my observation).

I'd also like to add that many drugs have poor health effects because people aren't educated as to proper use, do not do research or have access to professionals who can advice them to use a drug safely, don't use testing kits, aren't aware of interactions (cocaine and alcohol is a bad one i see many people do all the time, and i always tell them how dangerous it is because of cocoethylene, but people don't listen, le sigh...). as to your reference in character, my room mate, who is an img, worked at the liquor store beside the hospital, and knew many of the doctors as he would often shadow there, named a number of excellent physicians who would go in for a mickey every night, i also know numerous professionals who occasionally use hard drugs but refuse to drink to excess (i, for one, personally strongly dislike most alcohol, besides wine, and maybe a beer with dinner).

My advice to the OP would be to lay off the weed, weed is notoriously bad for your short term memory and isn't as innocuous as people think.

im going to have to pick your brain on this some time, muse. my doc just gave me some adderall and gave me some quick advice on how he wants me to use it (basically he said only during exam periods b/c he doesnt want me to get addicted) but i'll send you a more comprehensive pm soon because i really want to give it a shot but not without weighing the relative pros/cons first

Archived