Premed 101 Forums

Learning a new language

Veritas et Utilitas

Hi guys :) Ok so I was thinking about learning a new language (most likely Spanish). Just for self-improvement and simply for fun. I dont want to take uni courses cause they will affect my gpa and will take up space I could use for something else. I cannot afford a private tutor due to high prices. Where do I start? Rosetta stone? Just buy books and tapes? Can anyone share their strategy that does not cost 50 bucks / hour? Thank you.

I'm self-learning Turkish at the moment. What I did was, I went on amazon.com/ca and bought grammar books that I worked through. I listen to Turkish music and watch Turkish shows (subtitled in English). If you want to master a language, immerse yourself completely into that language and culture. Listen to it on a daily basis etc. Before you know it, you can speak it conversationally. And along side the grammar books, you'll have a good grasp on it.

I wouldn't recommend Rosetta Stone because it's expensive. There's a lot of resources on the web. Just type into google "learn Spanish"

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but I've been wanting to mention it to this forum and this is as good a place as any.

If you're looking for something very unique, check out the Yukon Native Language Centre online. They offer free audiocourses in several of the languages native to the northern region, and you can get audiobooks online, many for free. I'm pretty sure you could probably get books through your local library through an interlibrary loan, too- I'm not sure. Southern Tutchone is the one I will probably start with, but I need to find time first.

http://www.ynlc.ca/

I've always gotta be a little bit different. :)

I currently have Rosetta Stone Swahili and I find it's been amazing for my accent. However, it's quite limiting in that you only learn things that can be demonstrated in pictures (meaning you don't learn how to say "how are you" or refer to "I, me, myself"). Swahili grammar and sentence structure is significantly different from English, though, and I think it might be a lot easier with Spanish or French because they're laid out in a way that's a little more easy to understand as a native English speaker. I think that with a grammar book with good Amazon reviews, and a Spanish-English dictionary, paired with Rosetta Stone would develop your skills in a pretty well-rounded way! :)

I believe Rosetta also has a 3-month trial period where you can order their product, try it out, and then send it back for a full refund if you find the style doesn't work for you? Could be worth a shot if you're a good self-studier who can commit yourself!

Archived