Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone on twitter's professor sent the course this email:

"

Here is the strike update as of 8:00 pm today. The final bargaining meeting with York (the employer), the Conciliator and the union (CUPE 3903) took place today from 10 am - 5 pm. This was the final bargaining meeting with the employer and conciliator. The results of the meeting are as follows:

1) The union still has concessions on the table. Concession bargaining is a term used in labor law. It is a kind of collective bargaining in which unions surrender or give back previously gained improvements in pay and conditions in exchange for some form of job security.

2) The union is asking for "substantial movement" from the employer as has seen none concerning Unit 2, contract faculty.

(1) and (2) above are not good news.

Interesting update that is also not good news for students is that the union's lawyer confirmed during the discussions today that CUPE 3903 CANNOT be legislated back as collective bargaining and strike are protected rights. This means that if a strike happens, the union cannot be legislated back to work, like they were in the last strike.

Also, not good news is that University of Toronto Teaching Assistants are on strike as of 6 am tomorrow morning. See the following for more information:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/teaching-assistants-strike-at-university-of-toronto-1.2976883

http://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto/education/2015/02/27/u-of-t-teaching-assistants-strike-late-night-deal.html

The fact that U of T is out on strike tomorrow morning does not bode well for York. Also, the fact that York Administration is not moving on Unit 2, Contract Faculty, issues on the bargaining table does not look good.

Also, not good is that Ryerson earned conditions from their last strike that are a million times better than ours at York, and they won them through a strike. What Ryerson won in the strike is what Unit 2 wants for York's union.

Tomorrow (Monday, March 2) there will be a massive CUPE 3903 General Membership Meeting in Rexall Centre from 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm. During this meeting, union members will be voting on whether to go on strike at 6 am the next morning (Tuesday, March 3). Due the gravity of this meeting, it may go much longer than 8:30 pm, in particular, since voting is involved. Some union executive have said that the meeting may go right up until the strike deadline of midnight Monday night."

Suits, The Knick, The Blacklist, Homeland, Madam Secretary are the only shows that interest me. Newsroom too but it's over now *sob*

Used to be into Criminal Minds but they've gone away from the cerebral to focus on gore. Can only assume to appease a dumbed down TV audience.

I don't understand how or why people watch 'reality TV'

...aaand to top it all off the exam schedule still isn't out!

I knew it was too good to be true.

Can't be a real York graduate without getting majorly York'd at least once/experience a strike. Heh.

No no! The exam schedule couldn't be posted because of "system issues" and definitely not a strike LOL

Hey everyone,

I am a PhD Candidate at York, and I also teach as a TA on campus.  I am uncertain what will happen at this evening's meeting, but many of my colleagues (and myself) are heated with the inadequate offers being presented by the university.  I do not know anyone who doesn't want this strike to happen.  Hopefully it will not take long to tally the votes tonight.

I will not list the reasons why this strike should happen, but if you want to ask questions about a TA's involvement with a course or our own research, I will gladly answer for you.

Regarding final exams, the exam has been made; it just isn't posted.  This is a fact, as I already know the details for my course's final.

Hi am80,

I personally know multiple TA's and contract faculty members from the psyc department that are not going to reject the offer. I think that every department is different. Criminology department is apparently infuriated with the offer, they sent an email last night that their members are definitely against the employers' offer.

Hi bruhh,

I haven't talked with any one in the psyc department; I guess opinions are varying across departments???

With that begin said, the bargaining team unanimously rejected the tentative offer last night.  Tonight's meeting will be interesting!

Fair point here that I read from someone: "A minimum wage worker in Ontario works 1680 hours per year and makes $18, 480. That's poverty line. For TA's to put themselves in the same boat as these people is just insensitive, and quite frankly, mean."

That quote is not a fair one; it is an uneducated one.  TAs are told to work 10 hours a week, but we all go well beyond these hours.  From my experience, my colleagues and I do everything: teach, mark, counsel students, administer tests, invigilate and calculate final grades.  The professor simply collects our spreadsheets at the end of April.  Our full time job is our research, which is why we are at the university.  TAships provide us financial assistance, but the reality of what a TAship demands is not common knowledge to the public.  Furthermore, contract positions are unpredictable and unstable.  An adjunct professor with the same qualifications as a tenured professor will make a fraction of the tenured professor's salary, and does not know during the semester if a job exists after final exams.  This is about equality for all working individuals.

The point is its disingenuous to compare TA's with people who are truly living below the poverty line for full-time work.

Frankly I'd like to see administration get bent but my feeling is that it was a choice made to do grad studies. If finances were a concern then perhaps there should have been some time spent working to save up prior to going back to school? Prior to this massive influx of grad students and the funding to go along students generally had two options: secure your own funding source or pay your own way.

Contact professors are a group I am fully behind. It's not that I have an axe to grind against TA's as I'm sure some work hard and put in more hours than they are being paid for, I just have a problem when they compare themselves to people who are truly below the poverty line.

What I would like, as a student and tax payer, is a frank disclosure of where the money is going. Tuition has skyrocketed and Universities have continually turned to cheaper, outsourced labour to service the educational product.

The TAs I know at UofT are expected to work 40-60 hours a week. They cannot take part time jobs outside the university. So while their tutorial or marking duties may only be 10-20 hours a week, they are expected to work on research for their advisor 40 hours or more a week. Then they have their own classes they have to take.

The TAs I know at UofT are expected to work 40-60 hours a week. They cannot take part time jobs outside the university. So while their tutorial or marking duties may only be 10-20 hours a week, they are expected to work on research for their advisor 40 hours or more a week. Then they have their own classes they have to take.

Fair point and understandable. My question: is this research part of their grad research? In other words, do they then have to also conduct their OWN research (for their dissertation) in addition to the what their adviser expects?

Next question, if they didn't like these terms going in why did they pursue it?

What I find utterly pathetic is the complete lack of communication from York. There should be an effective and thorough contingency plan communicated to students that outline potential scenarios in the event of 1 week, 2-3 week, 4-6 week and a 7+ week strike.

Sure it's all speculation but I think its important for students across programs and year of study to understand what they'll be facing at different intervals and how they can begin planning for those eventualities. 

If I was a student who had a job arrangement already planned for when school was done I would be freaking out right now. 

If I was a law student who had an articling placement already established then I would be freaking out right now.

If I was a student who have an internship or co-op placement established I would be freaking out right now.

etc

etc

etc

What I find utterly pathetic is the complete lack of communication from York. There should be an effective and thorough contingency plan communicated to students that outline potential scenarios in the event of 1 week, 2-3 week, 4-6 week and a 7+ week strike.

Sure it's all speculation but I think its important for students across programs and year of study to understand what they'll be facing at different intervals and how they can begin planning for those eventualities. 

If I was a student who had a job arrangement already planned for when school was done I would be freaking out right now. 

If I was a law student who had an articling placement already established then I would be freaking out right now.

If I was a student who have an internship or co-op placement established I would be freaking out right now.

etc

etc

etc

I believe both CUPE and the school were requested NOT to share any news.

However it seems like CUPE has clearly went against that as the only updates I've been getting have been from thieir end.

I believe both CUPE and the school were requested NOT to share any news.

However it seems like CUPE has clearly went against that as the only updates I've been getting have been from thieir end.

Updating on bargaining is not the same as providing students with a fully articulated contingency plan for various eventualities.

Given the length of previous strikes at York its not out of the realm that this lasts more than a week or two

Archived