Premed 101 Forums

The fifth annual Premed Symposium!

It's that time of year againnnn. If you are at UWO or around London, and have applied to med school, are prepping for interviews, or are planning to apply soon, this is a great workshop on ethics, the health care system, and medical school interviewsput on by my classmates at Schulich! :)

Here is all of the info:

THE PRE-MED SYMPOSIUM

Applying to medicine? Waiting for interviews? The Pre-Med Symposium put on by Schulich Medical Students is the perfect resource for learning more about medical ethics, the Canadian healthcare system and the process of interviewing for medical school.

WHAT: Students of Schulich Medicine Present: Annual Pre-Med Symposium

WHEN: January 24th, 25th, and 26th, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM all three nights

WHERE: University Hospital, Auditorium A

PRICE: $25 (All proceeds go to local charities)

TICKETS - FIRST COME FIRST SERVE

Ticket sales:

DATES: Thursday January 19th, Friday January 20th, Monday January 23rd, and Tuesday January 24th

TIME: 11:30 am – 1:30 pm

“Doing Right” sales:

We will also be selling copies of the book “Doing Right: a Practical Guide to Ethics for Medical Trainees and Physicians” by Dr. Philip Hebert.

This book is a great resource for learning how to approach ethical issues in medical school interviews. We will be selling the book at a discounted price of $40.

You can find out more, or pick up a copy, at the same time as purchasing a ticket.

DETAILS OF THE SYMPOSIUM

This is a three day symposium is designed to assist senior undergraduate students succeed in their medical school applications, specifically the interview process. While it is most useful for students who are in the process of applying to medical school, the symposium will be relevant to anyone intending on going to medical school.

Day 1 – Approaching Ethical Problems in Interviews and Medicine

The first day will be addressing the broad topic of ethics in medicine. In particular, the talk will be focused on relevant ethical principles that should be understood by those applying to medical school and how to approach ethical questions.

Day 2 – Healthcare Systems, with Dr. Lois Champion, MD, FRCPC and Dr. Jeff Granton, MD, FRCPC

Dr. Champion and Dr. Granton will present the history, present and future directions of the Canadian Health Care system. The talk will be focused on principles that should be understood by those applying to medical school.

Day 3 – Interview Tips and Experiences, with students of Schulich Medicine

A panel of first year medical students will share their experiences with the application process and provide appropriate answers to questions you may have about medical school interviews.

FURTHER DETAILS

As in the past, we will be providing light snacks and refreshments on all three days, as well as a comprehensive handout filled with resources for medical applications and interviews!

For more information or further assistance, please contact ayan2015@meds.uwo.ca.

Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/283921941666143/

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't even know it existed. They should advertise it a bit more and when interviews have been sent out, that way people are more serious about it.

hmm I will let them know - I guess the event is aimed more for people earlier on in the process so the interview thing might not matter as much but the word should get out there in any case :)

hmm I will let them know - I guess the event is aimed more for people earlier on in the process so the interview thing might not matter as much but the word should get out there in any case :)

I believe the third day of the symposium is not as useful to first years and second years. It's more aimed at people who will be getting interview invites.

I think the pre-premed symposium is more aimed at first and second year UGs.

Archived