Premed 101 Forums

Cote R

slimmz2004

Hello guys!

I have some question about the cote R.

For example, if I want to get into anatomy and cell biology, what cote r do I need?

I found this website:

http://francais.mcgill.ca/applying/standards/cegep/

Would biology, biochemistry or anatomy and cell biology be under Groupe Biological, Biomedical and Life Sciences?

I found another website:

http://www.coter.ca/

Anatomy and cell biology is ''Ce programme n'est pas contingenté'', does it mean that anyone can get in? What is the minimum r score?

thank you!

I remember applying to this program back in cegep. For Mcgill an r-score of 28 will generally grant you access to most if not all science (minus, med, dentistry and neuroscience is getting more and more competitive as well, other similar programs may also exist).

"Ce programme n'est pas contingenté" = means admission is not as strict, but obviously its not going to be a revolving door :P

hope this helps

Best of wishes and gl

I personally did a specialization.

Main reason being is, there's a lot of details that you need to take into account when choosing an undergraduate that will ultimately lead to medicine.

1. If you graduate and aren't accepted into medicine, will your degree be able to give you a potential job? If you just major in exercise science, probably not, but if you specialize in AT or CEP then yes most likely.

2. The devil is in the details. For some schools or maybe all (im no expert in this area), you need a minimum of 60% of your courses to be courses of your given undergraduate year, meaning you cant take 5 200 elective courses in your 3rd year. Also you need 30 credits a year to be considered full time for some schools, again im no expert in this area so I dont know if some schools dont mind less than 30, very possible, but I didnt want to risk it so i chose a program that covered all these little details.

Obviously, there is more things to take into account, but I remember these 2 factors playing a big roll in choosing my program.

Well, your program too has an internship with clients in 2nd yr and another in 3rd year. This gives you hands on experience with patients, thereby developing excellent communication skills. And these intenrships give you the opportunity to apply your theiretical knowledge, thereby reinforcing your knowledge as you develop many new skills. It is also an excellent pathway to medicine. :P

Honours is more difficult which could affect your GPA.

The difference between Honours and Major is not usually courses at the last (sixth) semester ? If it's so ... then it's not going to affect the GPA if you are applying during your last year of your undergraduate.

My specialization program was quite intensive and straight As was quite a challenge. There would have been at least one, if not more, courses for the honours program in the year before last. And had I not made it directly into medicine, then my GPA would have been lower/less competitive for future application cycles.

• 5 months later...
Thanks to all!

Last question, with an exercise science degree, do I have to do pre-med?

See http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48577

Exercise Science is an excellent preparation for medicine, a program where attaining (straight) As is doable with hard work. And a specialization in clinical exercise physiology will give you exposure to working with clients having chronic diseases - so you reinforce your theoretical knowledge and gain new skills.

Thanks to all!

Last question, with an exercise science degree, do I have to do pre-med?

It's seems you have to do it at UdeM according to a post here.

But don't look at this in deciding a program, getting into med school is more important than doing premed, plus, UdeM may take off pre-med in 2014.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a lot of hate for "reviving old posts"... Why is this a problem if the questions are still relevant to today's university system?

If I started another post with the same topic, such as "Why could doing your undergrad at mcgill be disadvantageous to your r score?", I would probably get hate for being redundant, and it is unlikely that someone who shares the same opinion as the people above will see the new post...

Archived