Premed 101 Forums

Ranking

Man_2ba

I don't even know how you could set up electives for that.

Did a lot of volunteering, and I did 6 two weeks electives. The problem I am facing with right now, is that for FM they invited 700 people. But for Ortho is just me and my buddy who also got an IV for Plastic at same schools. Vascular and General Surgery same story me and my buddy same schools.

I once thought I mastered the CaRMS process, now I think I have just mastered my exams. Not only I have not mastered anything, but I have fell into a weird situation.

I dont even know anymore. CaRMS is driving me insane.

you are such a troll, i cant take it anymore.

stop asking stupid questions.

rank in order of preference.

A med student should be able to figure this out on his own.

You really need to take some SSRI's and calm down. I am here asking questions, people PM me, I PM people, I ask questions, You just been calling me a troll this whole time, I dont even know what a troll is, your a troll if is something bad.

... then shouldn't you be bright enough to understand that you can match to ANY program you rank, even your last choice???

... and shouldn't you be smart enough to understand that your ranking should be based on personal preference, since the number of applicants does not make a difference?

It's the daily dose of stupid questions which makes me doubt your intelligence and call you a "troll"

... then shouldn't you be bright enough to understand that you can match to ANY program you rank, even your last choice???

... and shouldn't you be smart enough to understand that your ranking should be based on personal preference, since the number of applicants does not make a difference?

It's the daily dose of stupid questions which makes me doubt your intelligence and call you a "troll"

I also vote TROLL.

Unfortunately I think that even if you want a certain, less-competitive specialty (ahem-family), there is a certain clout/status with getting and doing a lot of interviews. People WANT to be able to brag about how many they have/where/etc. Doesn't make any sense to me, what a waste of money and time. In the end you'll only match to one program and specialty...you can't do ortho/vascular/surgery and family, so why bother.

Unfortunately I think that even if you want a certain, less-competitive specialty (ahem-family), there is a certain clout/status with getting and doing a lot of interviews. People WANT to be able to brag about how many they have/where/etc. Doesn't make any sense to me, what a waste of money and time. In the end you'll only match to one program and specialty...you can't do ortho/vascular/surgery and family, so why bother.

So what does this mean. Because I am still ranking FM but in a 1-2-5-6-9-12 pattern.

I am just wondering if number 12 ranks me high, and I am short listed in all these will I still get number 12.

People this is a very easy questions. My friends say no, I should rank 12 my number 1, I just want to know, please only respond if you know an answer, no Troll calling, no calling me stupid, no calling me immigrant, lame whatever, geez, Ok I dont understand this ok, I dont understand this, I am not bragging. I dont care, I just want to know.

Please no more putting me down, some people on the forum are from my school and they know who I am, is not good.

To make it clear: CaRMS will prioritize your own ranking for the match. NOT the programs' rankings.

If your 12th program has ranked you 1st, its still unlikely that you will be matched to your 12th unless your 1-11 choices ranked you very badly or didn't rank you at all.

I don't remember the statistics but the majority of people usually get their 1-3 choices (80-90% of people I believe).

EDIT: This should help you understand the matching process better:

http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_algorithm_e.shtml

EDIT2:

Summary of Guidelines for the Preparation of Applicant Rank Order Lists

1. Applicants are advised to rank, in sequence, those programs that represent their true preferences.

2. Factors to consider in determining the number of programs to rank include the competitiveness of the specialty, the competition for the specific programs being ranked, and the qualifications that the applicant offers.

3. Applicants are advised to rank all programs acceptable to the applicant, i.e., programs in which he or she would be pleased to undertake residency training. Conversely, if an applicant finds certain programs unacceptable and is not interested in accepting offers from these programs, said program(s) should not be ranked.

Simple.

Archived