Premed 101 Forums

Top 200 Medical Schools in the World

Kasiunut

I wouldn't give any attention to lists that attempt to "rank" medical schools in Canada (let alone international ones).

Any medical student will tell you that all medical schools in Canada are top notch (while quietly stating that their medical school is still a bit better than the rest due to reason X).

I wouldn't give any attention to lists that attempt to "rank" medical schools in Canada (let alone international ones).

Any medical student will tell you that all medical schools in Canada are top notch (while quietly stating that their medical school is still a bit better than the rest due to reason X).

This.

That's one of the good things about medical education in Canada.

I just thought it was interesting to see what the perception is. Obviously in Canada, it doesn't matter if you went to Cambridge, you're still at a disadvantage then if you went to a Canadian university. And I would still prefer to attend ANY Canadian university over ANY of the international ones.

I mostly thought it was interesting to see the international schools, since I don't know much about them. Like I would have NO idea what the best medical school is in Australia, and this is an interesting place to start and see (as I have permanent residency status in Australia, I am considering Australia as an alternative if I don't get into Canada).

And I thought Concordia does have a medical program - its just in French though?

I always wonder who gets paid to put these things together anyway. Seems a bit silly.

It's absolutely ridiculous... people put stock into it as well.

More so in the US.

At one of my interviews...

THAT guy: "Oh I interviewed at 3 top 10 schools in the last two weeks."

Me: "That's nice" (meanwhile in my head, it was COOL STORY BRO)

I just thought it was interesting to see what the perception is. Obviously in Canada, it doesn't matter if you went to Cambridge, you're still at a disadvantage then if you went to a Canadian university. And I would still prefer to attend ANY Canadian university over ANY of the international ones.

I mostly thought it was interesting to see the international schools, since I don't know much about them. Like I would have NO idea what the best medical school is in Australia, and this is an interesting place to start and see (as I have permanent residency status in Australia, I am considering Australia as an alternative if I don't get into Canada).

And I thought Concordia does have a medical program - its just in French though?

harvard med?

harvard med?

Haha, believe it or not, yes, I'd still prefer any Canadian university over Harvard med. Not only because I wouldn't get in (because I wouldn't - I don't have a science undergrad and my cGPA is only 3.7ish) but for other reasons:

1) I'm not super ambitious - I really just want to be a family physician, prob in a smallish town somewhere in Ontario - Harvard would be wasted on me.

2) I don't want to incur $250K worth of debt for tuition alone.

3) my husband isn't a Canadian citizen, so it would be super hard for him to get a job in the US.

Haha, believe it or not, yes, I'd still prefer any Canadian university over Harvard med. Not only because I wouldn't get in (because I wouldn't - I don't have a science undergrad and my cGPA is only 3.7ish) but for other reasons:

1) I'm not super ambitious - I really just want to be a family physician, prob in a smallish town somewhere in Ontario - Harvard would be wasted on me.

2) I don't want to incur $250K worth of debt for tuition alone.

3) my husband isn't a Canadian citizen, so it would be super hard for him to get a job in the US.

1) Believe it or not, harvard's competitiveness level is for the prestige alone. Just to say "I graduated from harvard med."

2) You wouldn't since they give like half tuition cut for those making under 160? And pay like your whole tuition if you make under a certain amount. Harvard's among the best schools for those who don't make a lot.

3) That's why you come back and practice in Canada lol... US grad = Canadian grad.

This is just a hypothetical discussion anyway.

Archived