Premed 101 Forums

emerg ultrasound cert

PAstudent

Hi all,

MODs: I am not sure where best to post this question so please do feel free to move it if need be.

Many of the emergency medicine physicians and PAs I have worked with have some type of ultrasound certification whereby they did some weeks of coursework and then had to do a large number of bedside scans under supervision of a PA or physician certified as an u/s intstructor. Once these scans (and coursework) are successfuly completed the individual has an u/s cert.

Pardon my ignorance but what certificaiton is this? That is, what is it called and how do I go about doing it once I am in practice? I have asked them but, for some reason, always find their answers confusing.

It's called EDE (emergency department echo) course. You can find info going to the Canadian Emergency Ultrasound Society webpage.

If you are not an emerg physician/resident, I am not sure how this training works for you.

Thanks. Yes, that's the one. Emergency medicine PAs do it as well.

• 1 month later...
It's called EDE (emergency department echo) course. You can find info going to the Canadian Emergency Ultrasound Society webpage.

If you are not an emerg physician/resident, I am not sure how this training works for you.

Moved to primary care forum.

In order to become an independent practitioner (IP), the EM physician needs to perform at least 200 scans under direct supervision of another IP, instructor, or radiologist.

Does anyone know how much the 'supervisor' is compensated?

Archived