Premed 101 Forums

how much do ED physicians actually make?

michaelm

THe final arbitrator in all things is the provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons.

I'm not arguing with you whether an FRCPC trained doc is competent to practice as a family doc. But there are things that a family doc does that is different from an FRCPC trained doc. Yes, the flus, and colds, and cellulitis and what have you are similar. However, there's a lot of chronic disease management, long term management of mental health problems, etc. that an FRCPC trained doc just may not be exposed to in their training. And that probably is the rationale. Can an FRCPC trained EM doc do these things? Probably. But will the College allow it? Not unless you undertake retraining.

I'm just telling you what the College tells us. If you disagree with this, I urge you to contact the local provincial College to let them know what you think.

The CPSO / college ain't your friend.

They are , actually, a big bag o' d i c ks.

Interesting story: A few years ago, I called up the CPSO to ask them about a potential altrusitic project I was considering setting up at my pain clinic. After I had put enough money aside for retirement, I was thinking about treating patient's chronic pain conditions for free with therapeutic Botox. Botox ain't cheap.

Apparently, this was not to the College's liking. I can't remember the exact reason , if there even was one. I believe it was a vague " we don't recommend that ".

Beware the college.

why would u have to retrain? you really have all the skills needed for general internal med or FM after a 5 year residency... so theoretically speaking you can do anything FM or IM can do if you decide to walk out

I think there would be a few internists and family docs that would disagree with you on that one.

I think there would be a few internists and family docs that would disagree with you on that one.

I can think of a few examples off the top :

Managing MDE long term / antidepressants.

Treating addiction.

Treating DM / oral DM meds.

Treating high chol.

etc.

MSK f/u

Long term problems - ER docs just don't do this; why would they?

Archived