Premed 101 Forums

School!!!!

Guest bossman1818

Guest bossman1818

I am just a high school student who has recently graduated, and I will be starting pre-med next year! I have a question, though, that has been bothering me lately. You see, I am a high academic student (90's), and yet I opted to go to a community college for the first two years of my degree, and then transfer into a university to finish off. The specifics: I will be attending Grant MacEwan Community College in Edmonton Alberta for the first two years, and then the U of A for the last two. My reasoning is that I will finish all the required pre-med courses in the first year in a smaller school, thus, a better chance at getting a better mark. Also, I will be writing the MCAT after these first two years. Then I will transfer into the U of A, finish the degree, and then hold my breath and wait. My question is this, I have heard recently that there is bias within the Medical School community, particularly with the U of A, with regards to the institution were you have studied. Knowing how competitive it is to get into medical school, I would hate to not be accepted based on were I took the first two years of my degree. So, is it true that this bias exists? Please, I already know what the medical schools themselves will say, but I am looking for those that have applied to medical schools, perhaps in particular U of A, and have noticed or have heard of this bias. Any information that anyone could give would be most appreciated. By the way, congrats to all those accepted this year, I hope to join you soon!!!

Guest MEDCOMPSCI

Can I ask you a simple question....why are you making this all so hard on yourself? Just goto UofA and do your 3-4 years there before going into Meds.

If you are afarid that you cannot 'cut it' with the other pre-meds, is it not better to find out during pre-med rather than on the operating table? If you work hard, are smart and nice enough to warrant being a doctor, you will be one!

Unfortuntely, not everyone can be a doctor. To say that grades mean everything is wrong, but how confident would you be if you found out your doc. had a 13 MCAT and a 2.1 GPA?

My advice would be to not try to 'beat the system', but instead play the game like the rest of us and get in on our own merits.

Guest Ian Wong

Hi guys,

There's already another post with the identical topic, so instead of having two separate posts, I'm going to close down this one, and instead ask that further replies be made to the other topic.

Bossman, if you've having trouble seeing whether your posts have actually "gone through", you need to hit "Refresh" on your internet browser, because your computer is likely re-displaying an older copy of the forum, which doesn't have your messages posted.

Here's the other topic:

pub44.ezboard.com/fpremed101frm0.showMessage?topicID=218.topic

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived