Premed 101 Forums

Blue suits

I was speaking to a NOSM faculty member who I am working on a publication wth and she jokingly asked if I was going to wear my blue suit to the interview. I asked her why blue .... she said that when she interviewed all of the interviewers noticed everyone was wearing blue suits to their interview. The interviewers didnt know why everyone had chosen blue. When they got together they all noted the same thing and figured that the interviewees must somehow all talk to each other about what to wear.

I quickly thought of premed101 forum laughing to myself that there must be a recommendation out there about wearing a blue suit to interviews. Of course for me there is not much choice .... I would not wear a black suit ... its not a wedding or funeral ... also a tan suit seems a bit informal ... so LOL you end up with Blue or perhaps a grey suit .... funny stuff.

I do have a blue suit but also have a greyish sports jacket which I was and still am leaning more towards.

Perhaps a useless post on my part but still something to read while we wait for our interviews :)

Beef

it's easier for guys! pick a suit and go...what are you women wearing? i am in dire need of new clothes, i wear scrubs to work so i have fallen out of the habit of having nice dress/office clothes, and the rest of my wardrobe consists of comfy/casual/chase -after -child- clothes! i need to be on 'what not to wear!'

it's easier for guys! pick a suit and go...what are you women wearing? i am in dire need of new clothes, i wear scrubs to work so i have fallen out of the habit of having nice dress/office clothes, and the rest of my wardrobe consists of comfy/casual/chase -after -child- clothes! i need to be on 'what not to wear!'

Hey Taiga gal! I was having the same problem! Check out this thread by Renin. She has some great advice for what to wear

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59279

i think i am being boring! black suit (pants) and collared button-up shirt. small black heels. hair? no idea!

Boring is acceptable. Inappropriate, unkept or dirty is not and possible a red flag I would think as to how the rest of your life/personality is.

I considered showing up in a lab coat with a stethoscope around my neck, just so they could see how well it would suit me :D

That would be really something to see .... let us know how it works :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Moores last night to get the remaining clothing items for the interview. Already had 2 sports jackets so I was looking for a shirt/tie combo and some dress pants. I told her I had an interview in a month and needed to match the sports jacket I had.

She starts pulling out bright pink shirts and these wild yellows ... I stop her and I say "Umm its for a medical school interview". She looks surprised grabs all of the pinks and shoves them back in .... LOL .... starts to grab blues and greys, low tone yellows. We go through some combinations and finalize on something that is acceptable to the both of us .... looks good. She mentions one of guys working on staff that night was doing his medical schooling in the caribbean or US, she is not sure. He comes over and is told that I have an interview to NOSM. He gets excited starts saying the combo we chose looks like everyone else who interviews and he starts grabbing some wild colors ... I tell both of them that I want to go in comfortable and not feeling like a clown. They say you should have something that jumps right out at the interview .... I suggest I go to pet smart, buy a ferret and dye it pink or purple, hang it like a tie and the ferret will literally lunge at them ... and wonder if that is the effect they want? We settle on something not too subdued, but not too wild either .... looks good .... I am ready from a fashion perspective. They didnt have a sale on the items I bought ... thye cost too much :(

Interestingly the dude intervewied at NOSM years ago, probably the first 2 years it started. Was told he needs more life experience. Went back did a masters. Story got vague and then he is in the US (Chicago) doing med, finished his first 2 years but had to take time off to make money to pay for the last two years. Thats a scary thing having to stop due to financial constraints ... I am not sure how that affects his possibility of residency matching. I didnt get a lot of time to chat with him as the store was getting ready to close but it was nice to meet someone passionate enough about medicine that he is pursuing the dream however he can.

Archived