Premed 101 Forums

Too nice to be a doctor?

Hello everyone,

I have applied for Fall'12 and I am currently in the excruciating waiting situation. In the mean time, something peculiar happened at my work place. Specifically, some colleagues think that I'm "too nice" to be a doctor(?). When I asked them to elaborate, they said that I need to be a little more arrogant and narcissistic to be one, because it's such a cut-throat environment. At first I was appalled, but then, if i remember from my own experience, it is true that most of the doctors I have met (i.e., who have treated me) were indeed very cold and often downright rude. What's with that? Did they watch too much House?

In any case, I was wondering if I should undergo a "personality change" if I get in, just not to be 'eaten alive'.. What is your personal experience, as med students? What's the deal? If I need to be a little more rude, I'll be.

Thank you in advance for your help!

I really don't think you need to worry about these kinds of comments. There are lots of nice people on medicine and if you're friendly and easy to work with you'll have a good experience in clerkship and beyond.

Overall med school has been anything but cutthroat, and while I can't say that we're lacking for people who are narcissistic and/or arrogant, most people are nice. ;)

At first I thought that "too nice" may be code for too passive or lacking in confidence, which may detract from your effectiveness as a physician. Could this be what they meant?

But if they actually said "arrogant and narcissistic", these traits would be anything but helpful in a physician. Certainly not something I would encourage you to aspire to.

In any case, I was wondering if I should undergo a "personality change" if I get in, just not to be 'eaten alive'..

Lol no, don't do that. We need more nice physicians. I'm sick and tired of switching referrals because some doctors are such a$$es

Your co workers sound nutty, no offence. :)

Niceness is a good thing to have, but it also helps to have a thick-skin and some toughness. Being able to handle stressful situations is also a key thing to have.

so it's good to be nice to other people, but you also have to look out for yourself and make sure people don't walk all over you.

• 2 weeks later...

JeepPatriot, I had a 'friend' tell me the EXACT same thing last year before I got in. They told me that I was too nice and too emotional to be a good doctor, and, given a choice they would rather have a skilled but insincere/arrogant/douchebag doctor treating them. Seriously, who are these people and where do they get their information from?! (oh, right, TV).

Though I must confess that I too would choose a more skilled doctor over a less skilled one, I must ask: why would kindness necessarily imply a lack of skill?

I do not believe that compassion and competency have to be mutually exclusive- don't let people tell you otherwise.

Niceness is a good thing to have, but it also helps to have a thick-skin and some toughness. Being able to handle stressful situations is also a key thing to have.

so it's good to be nice to other people, but you also have to look out for yourself and make sure people don't walk all over you.

those aren't mutually exclusive either though :) One of my favourite movie quotes is to never confuse niceness with weakness.

those aren't mutually exclusive either though :) One of my favourite movie quotes is to never confuse niceness with weakness.

+ A million to this. I am a very patient and friendly person, and it takes a lot to make me angry. 99% of the people I know have probably never seen me get mad about anything. And some people assume that means they can push me around or walk all over me (or mistreat other people when I'm around). They find out pretty quickly that they can't. :)

Archived