Premed 101 Forums

Physician Assistant (Assistants-médecins) au Québec

Guest Benla

Bonjour,

Je vois quelques posts sur le forum dédiés aux PA, surtout en Ontario. Est-ce que le programme est offert au Québec? Si non, que faut-il faire pour étudier ce programme en Ontario (ou autre province)? Quels sont les préalables pour des personnes venant du Québec?

Merci bien!

This Program is not available in Quebec. See below.

http://umanitoba.ca/medicine/education/paep/

http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/education/paep/pros_students/3829.html

ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS & TUITION / FEE INFORMATION

The PAEP admission requirements follow those described on the Faculty of Graduate Studies minimum requirements web page.

In order to be eligible to apply for this Program, you must:

 Be a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.

 Be a graduate of or enrolled in the final year of a four year Bachelor's degree from a college or university recognized by the University of Manitoba* (see note below).

 Have achieved a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the last two full years (60 credit hours) of study.

 Have successfully completed or be enrolled in undergraduate level courses (three credit hours each) in Human Anatomy, Human Physiology and Biochemistry if they were not included in the Bachelor's degree. If you are enrolled in a required course(s) at the time of application to this Program, final transcripts must be sent immediately upon completion of the course(s) and must be received no later than the last working day in May of the intake year you have applied for (i.e. if you are applying for September 2013 intake, final official transcripts must be received by May 31, 2013).

* If you are enrolled in the final year of a Bachelor's degree at the time of application to this Program:

o You are still required to submit official transcripts by the application deadline for the courses you have completed at time of application;

o Final official transcripts of the Bachelor's Degree must be sent immediately upon completion of the degree and must be received no later than the last working day in May of the intake year you have applied for (i.e. if you are applying for September 2013 intake, final official transcripts must be received by May 31, 2013).

Microbiology and Psychology are asset courses and would enhance your application.

NOTE: If you have taken courses that you are not sure would meet this criteria, please review the FAQ page.

All students in the PAEP must possess the cognitive, communication, sensory, motor, and social skills necessary to interview, examine, and counsel patients. Students are also expected to competently complete certain technical procedures in a reasonable time while simultaneously ensuring patient safety. Please see "Essential Skills and Abilities (Technical Standards) for Admission, Promotion and Graduation in the PAEP".

All applicants are required to submit 3 Application Forms: Faculty of Graduate Studies Application, PAEP Supplementary Application and Adult Criminal Records and Child Abuse Registry Self Declaration Form. Please read the instructions on the Self Declaration Form carefully; applicants are NOT required to obtain these checks at time of application, only the Self Declaration Form is required.

TUITION, BOOKS, FEES, CLINICAL ROTATION COST

Tuition for Canadian Residents effective August 2010 is $14,700 per year, total $29,400. The cost of textbooks during the first year of study is approximately $1700.00 (2012/2013), and is subject to change each year. The cost for medical equipment during the clinical training year is up to $750.00. Students are also responsible for their transportation costs related to clinical study. This cost will vary depending on clinical training opportunities each year.

The following student fees are also applicable: Library Fee, Registration Fee, Student Organization Fees, Student Services Fees, and Tech Fee. PAEP students are also eligible to participate in the UMSU Health and Dental plan. The cost of these fees can be found on the Student Fees web page.

COLLEGE OF PHYSICIANS AND SURGEONS OF MANITOBA EDUCATIONAL REGISTER

Students who are accepted into the PAEP must be registered with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Manitoba on the Educational Register, Prequalification Physician Assistant Student for the duration of the Program. The registration cost is $350.00 per year.

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/main/news/news_2008/physician_assistant_program.html

Applicants must have completed a minimum of two years of undergraduate work at an accredited university. (A minimum of 10 full course or 20 half courses are required.) By June 2008, applicants are expected to have achieved an overall simple average of at least 3.0.

The program is a two-year course of study delivered over a 24-month period. Year 1 will be clinical science courses. Year 2 will be clinical training. Graduates will receive a Bachelor of Health Sciences (Physician Assistant) degree.

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/programs/healthscience/PAEducation.htm

The Consortium of PA Education will consider applications from students who have completed a minimum of two years of university study (10 university credits) and have the required health care experience.

The cumulative GPA is calculated from all undergraduate level courses taken by the applicant.

Undergraduate Applicants

Students attending/who attended any Canadian university taking programs that lead to degrees in any discipline (e.g. arts, engineering, pharmacy, science) may apply for admission, provided they have fulfilled the academic and experiential requirements. No preference will be given to one program over another or to one university over another. Please note: the level of courses should correspond to the “year” of program.

CEGEP Applicants

Applicants who have completed the D.E.C. in Quebec may apply for admission if they have completed a total of at least 10 full-course credits which may include CEGEP transfer credits - prior to enrolment in our program. Applicants who have completed the CEGEP program must also submit transcripts from their CEGEP program.

Admission Requirements for All Applicants

The BScPA Program has the following admission requirements:

1. Minimum 10 full-courses or equivalent academic credits from a recognized university.

2. Applicants are required to have experience as a Health Care Professional in good standing with minimum 1680 hours (1 year full-time) of direct patient contact in a professional setting (i.e. direct involvement in treatment and/or care planning and delivery for patients in hospitals, medical office/clinic, nursing home, care home or other care facilities).

Clinical Experience that cannot be attributed to the 1680 hours of professional experience includes; volunteer or observership hours, clerical positions in healthcare and positions such as medical laboratory technician etc.

A list of health occupations that are officially identified by the Canadian Government can be found at: Human Resources and Skills Development Canada.

3. Canadian Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status required.

Preferred Admission Criteria

The BScPA Program has the following preferred admission criteria:

1. Cumulative average GPA of at least 3.0 on the OMSAS 4.0 scale is recommended.

2. All applicants are preferred to have completed one FULL course (post-secondary level) or equivalent in each of:

Human Anatomy

Chemistry

Physiology

All courses must be completed prior to the application deadline, if the applicant would like the courses to be considered in the application process. If they have not been completed, and are not showing as current registrations on your transcript, the course/courses will not be considered in the application.

3. Healthcare Experience that is recent (within last 5 years)

4. Current Ontario Resident (as defined by OSAP [Ontario Student Assistant Program])

Thank you so much future_doc!

Do you think I should be good to go with a DEC in Nursing + Bacc. in Nursing (DEC-BAC combined) + 2-3 years in a professional setting (as a Nurse)?

Not sure if they will accredit chemistry, anatomy and physiology though...

Your thoughts?

Yes, I do. :)

However, I would run this by PAstudent when PM returns as he is very knowledgeable and generous. Also, you can email directly adcoms of these programs to get their feedback. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

I would imagine it is only a matter of time before Quebec will have PAs.

The future in healthcare is very exciting.

(If you and PAstudent were to open accounts at SDN, you would be able to communicate by PM over there. You can obtain his attention by posting in the PA Forum.

Most likely considering cost as a factor. At the moment, tele-nursing is used with special tele-device whereby someone chronic who is home keeps the nurse up to date with prompts and occadiobal phone calls. This is highly efficient saving unnecessary visits to hospital or doctor saving resources and money with telenursing.

Je me demandais si ce programme est accesible au Quebecois disons au Manitoba et McMaster et si les conditions d'admissions étaient différentes pour nous. Ce type de travail m'interessait beaucoup plus qu'être infirmier. De toute façon je vais avoir un B.Sc donc j'irais pas me retaper un autre bac au complet alors qu'une maitrise dans le style de celle du Manitoba serait parfaite pour moi.

Avez-vous déjà entendu parler de Québécois accepté dans ce programme ? Pour les exigences de langues anglaise je devrais me débrouiller. :P

Je me demandais si ce programme est accesible au Quebecois disons au Manitoba et McMaster et si les conditions d'admissions étaient différentes pour nous. Ce type de travail m'interessait beaucoup plus qu'être infirmier. De toute façon je vais avoir un B.Sc donc j'irais pas me retaper un autre bac au complet alors qu'une maitrise dans le style de celle du Manitoba serait parfaite pour moi.

Avez-vous déjà entendu parler de Québécois accepté dans ce programme ? Pour les exigences de langues anglaise je devrais me débrouiller. :P

Pour devenir infirmier praticien, il y a aussi le Master of Science (Applied) in Nursing Direct-Entry de McGill réservé pour les détenteurs d'un undergraduate.

L'avantage avec la matrise en nursing est qu'il est reconnu partout en amérique du nord et tu peux continuer pour faire le DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice).

Présentement, la maîtrise de Physician Assistant de Manitoba n'est pas reconnu partout.

On ne sait pas si elle est acceptée par l'armée américaine.

La position de Physician Assistant a été créé par l'armée américiane.

ça m'apprendra à parler trop vite :P Serieusement il y a tellement de programme partout qu'on se perd un moment donné.

Merci beaucoup Hieu pour m'avoir montré ça :D

Je suis deja tombe sur un forum ou des medecins-adjoints disent auraient preferes aller en Medecine, car ils apprennent la majorite de ce que les medecins apprennent, tout en demeurant dependents a un medecin quant a leur pratique et meme a leurs salaires.

Pour devenir infirmier praticien, il y a aussi le Master of Science (Applied) in Nursing Direct-Entry de McGill réservé pour les détenteurs d'un undergraduate.

L'avantage avec la matrise en nursing est qu'il est reconnu partout en amérique du nord et tu peux continuer pour faire le DNP (Doctor of Nursing Practice).

Présentement, la maîtrise de Physician Assistant de Manitoba n'est pas reconnu partout.

On ne sait pas si elle est acceptée par l'armée américaine.

La position de Physician Assistant a été créé par l'armée américiane.

J'ai remarque que beaucoup de programmes de sante aux Etats-Unis sont devenus des doctorats professionnels. Meme Ergo et Physiotherapie. Peut-etre on devrait considerer faire de meme.

Cést une bonne chose que McGill offre le Masters Direct-Entry, car ca affecte pas le dossier d'un candidat en Medecine.

Yes, I do. :)

However, I would run this by PAstudent when PM returns as he is very knowledgeable and generous. Also, you can email directly adcoms of these programs to get their feedback. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. ;)

I would imagine it is only a matter of time before Quebec will have PAs.

The future in healthcare is very exciting.

(If you and PAstudent were to open accounts at SDN, you would be able to communicate by PM over there. You can obtain his attention by posting in the PA Forum.

Got my attention.

I think the Gouverment of Quebec will go with Specialized Nurse Practitioners - first line care instead of Physician Assistant.

There are CF PAs practicing in Quebec and a handful of civilian PAs from what I understand. There is no Government PA initiative, however.

Je suis deja tombe sur un forum ou des medecins-adjoints disent auraient preferes aller en Medecine, car ils apprennent la majorite de ce que les medecins apprennent, tout en demeurant dependents a un medecin quant a leur pratique et meme a leurs salaires.

C'est probablement une question que je devrais me poser l'année prochaine puisque cette année j'ai appliqué en médecine mais comme candidat ''en cours de bacc'' donc si je ne suis pas accepté l'année prochaine j'aurais de plus sérieuse question à me poser puisque je finirais mon bacc. Pour l'instant ma moyenne est bonne sauf que mon CEGEP compte encore pour environ 18 % ce qui risque de ne pas me permettre d'entré mais je suis confiant de finir mon bacc avec environ 4/4.33 si je le continue. Alors la je devrais décidé entre M.Sc / M.Nursing / Physical Assistant / n'importe quel métier qui m'intéresse. Mon problème c'est que tout m'intèsse :D J'ai encore un peu de temps pour être sure hehe

Guest Benla

Bon point...

Guest Benla

future_doc, do you actually speak French? C'est intriguant pour moi, vous répondez tjrs aux topics des sujets du Québec donc vous semblez le comprendre, par contre vous répondez tjrs en English :P

Got my attention.

Je comprends pas;) mais certainement les anglais qui jetent un oeil ici vont comprends ce que j’ecris.:) Pour moi, ca prend trop de temps de rassemler mes pensées en francais, et ma grammaire est terrible. Puis, je suis beaucoup plus à l’aise en anglais. C’est tout.

J'ai remarque que beaucoup de programmes de sante aux Etats-Unis sont devenus des doctorats professionnels. Meme Ergo et Physiotherapie. Peut-etre on devrait considerer faire de meme.

Cést une bonne chose que McGill offre le Masters Direct-Entry, car ca affecte pas le dossier d'un candidat en Medecine.

C'est vrai. Probablement au Canada après 2020.

There are CF PAs practicing in Quebec and a handful of civilian PAs from what I understand. There is no Government PA initiative, however.

I think PA has a legal statut only in Manitoba, Ontario, Alberta and New Brunswick right now.

Guest Benla
Je comprends pas;) mais certainement les anglais qui jetent un oeil ici vont comprends ce que j’ecris.:) Pour moi, ca prend trop de temps de rassemler mes pensées en francais, et ma grammaire est terrible. Puis, je suis beaucoup plus à l’aise en anglais. C’est tout.

Oh! Ok! :cool:

Archived