Premed 101 Forums

Countdown

Guest alliek

Apparently, a friend who was talking to a resident who has connections reports that the IP admissions meeting takes place towards end of April. Just passing on the info. On a side note, waiting is killing me.

Thanks for the info! I guess they don't intend on sending offers until when they originally said - early May. Darn.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way back when I was accepted (2007) I heard on May 20th I think.

So you've since graduated? Is there anyway I could get into contact with you through e-mail or some other system (as PM here is broken) to ask you some questions about your experiences at MUN?

I check this forum all the time, so I thought I'd post something :P

So... within a month or so we should all know one way or the other. Speaking for myself, I am very anxious. It's my second round and I feel basically the same way I did last year, possibly a bit more pessimistic.

How's everyone else doing?

I check this forum all the time, so I thought I'd post something :P

So... within a month or so we should all know one way or the other. Speaking for myself, I am very anxious. It's my second round and I feel basically the same way I did last year, possibly a bit more pessimistic.

I'm getting more and more anxious as the date approaches. I mean, as they send early may, some people could potentially be hearing in 2-3 weeks - it's just so close now.

That being said, the time still feels like it is crawling by. I'm not too optimistic, Memorial was my first interview so I had the jitters pretty bad, but here's to hoping for the best!

Speaking for myself, I am very anxious. It's my second round and I feel basically the same way I did last year, possibly a bit more pessimistic.

I'm quite anxious as well! Though I'm getting to a point where I would just like to know what all of my options are for September more than anything. I felt decent during my interview but as more time passes I'm feeling worse about it... I'm getting excited to soon see this forum light up with posts about letters. I would greatly appreciate it if people could post when they start getting them on the east coast. I'm in BC and traveling home to NL on May 15th, I'll have to change the mailing address on my application before I go home if they aren't put in the mail before the 10th-ish.

p.s. we're halfway through April today!

I'm in BC and traveling home to NL on May 15th, I'll have to change the mailing address on my application before I go home if they aren't put in the mail before the 10th-ish.

p.s. we're halfway through April today!

If I were you, I'd have it sent to a friend or family in NL, if you want to find out sooner and don't mind getting the news on the phone.

In terms of anxiety, between this and other things, I now have the permanent feeling that I'm about to vomit...

NL_wc, I also really want to know what I could be doing in Sept. I have several applications out to different programs (in addition to Med) in different provinces and all are supposed release their notifications in May.

I finished my term work today and don't start my summer job until the 26th, so that leaves me with a lot of time for wondering, haha.

A good thing out of all this so far is that my running has certainly benefited for the stress! :)

NL_wc, I also really want to know what I could be doing in Sept. I have several applications out to different programs (in addition to Med) in different provinces and all are supposed release their notifications in May.

I finished my term work today and don't start my summer job until the 26th, so that leaves me with a lot of time for wondering, haha.

A good thing out of all this so far is that my running has certainly benefited for the stress! :)

Yeah, I finished my last exam today as well. My job doesn't start until the 8th of May haha, so now I kinda have a lot of time on my hands to just anxiously await their decision. I wish I knew their reasoning behind waiting so long to tell us, surely they aren't carefully reviewing the files constantly for 3 months after interview... it can't take this long to actually decide, can it?

I wish I knew their reasoning behind waiting so long to tell us, surely they aren't carefully reviewing the files constantly for 3 months after interview... it can't take this long to actually decide, can it?

My understanding is that every member of the admissions committee assesses every interviewed applicants file. I can imagine that it can take some time to get through the files and stay on top of their regular duties. And then they have to meet and discuss the files...

I wonder if the meeting is just a quick pass in evaluations and mention any major issues, or if they deliberate on who should get in?

If I were you, I'd have it sent to a friend or family in NL, if you want to find out sooner and don't mind getting the news on the phone.

Yeah, that's probably a good thing to do. I'd prefer to open the letter myself, but finding out a few days in advance might just be worth it!

I don't particularly care to open the letter myself, although I'd feel really bad for the person if they had to give me bad news.

Yeah, I thought about changing my address so that my parents would receive the letter. I decided against it though, as I wouldn't be able to handle the phone call from them if it was negative. Just imagining the disappointment makes me cringe, I think (if possible) they're more excited/nervous for this than I am.

I'll wait the extra couple of days for the letter to get to Ontario. Actually, with the crappy postage system in NL, I wouldn't be surprised if the letter actually got here before it would my rural town.

Yeah, I thought about changing my address so that my parents would receive the letter. I decided against it though, as I wouldn't be able to handle the phone call from them if it was negative. Just imagining the disappointment makes me cringe, I think (if possible) they're more excited/nervous for this than I am.

Perhaps I'll ask my mother to email me if it's negative, haha.

And I totally get the parents being excited thing.. though I'm fairly certain mine are mostly just eager for me to return to the island.

Question... have any of you made changes/additions to your applications after the fact? I've just received a pretty hefty fellowship from CIHR (doctoral award) and I'm wondering if it makes sense to inform MUN of the new scholarship? Or since we're likely super close to the adcom meeting, should I just leave it off? I'm wondering what some of your thoughts are on adding things to your applications.. I'll likely do nothing since I'd really rather not bother them anymore (I just had to call and email a bunch to change my address and who can sign for me if I'm not there..)

Hope everyone's doing ok with the waiting game thing!

Question... have any of you made changes/additions to your applications after the fact? I've just received a pretty hefty fellowship from CIHR (doctoral award) and I'm wondering if it makes sense to inform MUN of the new scholarship? Or since we're likely super close to the adcom meeting, should I just leave it off? I'm wondering what some of your thoughts are on adding things to your applications.. I'll likely do nothing since I'd really rather not bother them anymore (I just had to call and email a bunch to change my address and who can sign for me if I'm not there..)

I don't think it could hurt to try; however, I don't think they'll do it. Before we submitted applications, the admissions officer told me that stuff can be added after submission. Although I believe she meant within the first few weeks after submitting the application. I would imagine that they can't add stuff now, as the file reviews are started (hopefully finished!).

I am a PEI applicant who was waitlisted, then accepted in March. I heard in early Feb. that my graduate work was being published in a peer reviewed journal and called MUN admissions to see if they would accept it and they said they would add it to my file. I would suggest you call them and ask; the worst they can do is say 'no' but it certainly won't hurt your application if they say 'yes'.

I would suggest you call them and ask; the worst they can do is say 'no' but it certainly won't hurt your application if they say 'yes'.

Hm, good point. I'll contact them on Monday. Congrats on the publications you guys! Rapy, did you accept the seat at MUN? You must be so thrilled!

And yes! Approximately 2 weeks to go! I'm getting pretty anxious.. One of my roommates is waiting to hear back from U of C and he's pretty anxious too so we commiserate a lot haha

Archived