Premed 101 Forums

Can it be done

Guest Jordan

Guest Jordan

Hi, I am a biochemistry undergraduate student going into my fourth yera of study at the University of Sask. Pending the MCAT I am likely to get into the medical school here. What I am wondering is if I can go anywhere else such as Alberta or Toronto.

My grades are :1st-78 2nd-87 3rd-85

I went to the OMAA site and calculated my three year GPA and it was in the 3.64/4 area and from what i have read there is no chance with that. I do have volunteer and research experience, but i am just wondering if it is even possible to go anywhere else with these grades.

Thanks

Jordan

Guest MEDCOMPSCI

Well your last couple of years seem soild. I guess it depends on some issues though:

1) Have you always maintained a full course load? (ie - 5 courses). If so, then UofT will apply a weighting formula to your GPA that will help boost you a little.

A 3.64 isn't THAT bad a gpa; it's goo enough for Queens/Western. However, I tend to get the vibe from you that since you can get into Sask. you really only want to leave if its to a big name school (ie - Toronto/Alberta).

I can't speak on Alberta, but for UofT undergrads usually need a 3.80 GPA to be competative for an interview. It is unlikely that a weighting formula would help that much, so you may need to do some grad work before getting in there.

I would recommened applying to Queens/Western; provided you do well on the MCAT exam, you will have two interviews gurananteed from these schools. Even if you reject them for your home UofSask, at least you have a backup should that fall through.

Guest RAK2005

I would definately give Ontario an try... I know a number of people with averages in your ballpark that have been accepted... However, U of T (which places a huge emphasis on GPA) may not be realistic (see MEDCOMPSCI)... I believe that the particular school of a Canadian UNDERGRADUATE MD is not of great importance (I know some people will disagree here). I have talked to many MDs who say that your clerkship electives make or break you, so if you get into Sask, Western, Mac, Queen's etc. you'll be competitive. My advice is Sask. is an excellent school, and you'll likely save A LOT of money by staying in province. But med school apps are a crapshoot at best, so increasing the # of schools you apply will not hurt.

Good Luck!

Guest Jordan

Thanks for the advice:

I broke it down to 1st-3.29 2nd-3.79 3rd- 3.86

What would I need on the MCAT to be competitive for Western/Queens etc. Also do some schools out east take out the lowest year GPA. Is it also possible that a good fourth year ie-3.9 could greatly increase my chances.

Thanks again, this is incredibly helpful

Jordan

Guest MEDCOMPSCI

As for the MCAT requirement, let em try to break it down for you as best as I know:

The PS/BS sections are usually not that hard to attain; get a 9/10 in both and you will be fine (not hard at all).

As for the Verbal however, Queens REQUIRES a 10 minimum. Western needs a 9 minimum. On the WS, Queens needs a N, but Western needs either a P/Q/R. How it works is that you total must be at least 21 (ie - 11P, 10Q, 9R).

As for doing a foruth year, well it won't kick in until you apply during your fifth year, which you may not due. It all depends on course load, if you have always had 5 full courses every year, then sure,a fourth year would mean that UofT would eliminate your first year entirely. Good Luck

Guest Ian Wong

UBC will be a very tough school for you to enter. We take an exceedingly small number of OOP students; such that unless your application is really top-notch, it's going to be a very difficult ride.

Here's the statistics for OOP students:

www.med.ubc.ca/md/admission/stats/page4.htm

As you can see, our class (1999) has no OOP students, and the class behind us has only three. Perhaps more telling is that in those two years, 141 and 126 people applied, and 5 and 7 people respectively were accepted by UBC (although not all of them chose to attend here).

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived