Premed 101 Forums

If you are from Nova Scotia...considered OOP?

I'm not sure if I read this right....I did not see Nova Scotia listed on their website as one of the "in province" places.

I would be very grateful if someone could clear this up for me!

Thank you!

http://www.med.mun.ca/Admissions/ApplicationEvaluationCompetitions.aspx

There are no seats reserved for NS students. The reasoning is that NL provides seats to students in the Atlantic provinces who would otherwise have limited access to medical school. NS students have many places reserved for them at Dalhousie. Also, Dalhousie does not reserve seats for NL students.

So, yes. NS students are considered OOP.

Also, does anyone know how many FROM NS apply?

I know that 63 were accepted last year, but out of the 325 that applied, how many were actually from NS?

I'm guessing you mean for Dal? It is close to 250 applicants from Maritime provinces (NS, NB, PEI) in general.

I heard that MUN reserves seats in medicine for NB students in exchange for or because NB reserves seats for NL students in their law school and MUN reserves seats for PEI students in exchange for seats in veterinary school. But I must admit I have never looked up the seat allocations for those programs.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard that MUN reserves seats in medicine for NB students in exchange for or because NB reserves seats for NL students in their law school and MUN reserves seats for PEI students in exchange for seats in veterinary school. But I must admit I have never looked up the seat allocations for those programs.

Yeah, that's generally how it goes. There is something like 12 UNB law school seats and 2 UPEI Vet seats.

It's far too expensive for each province to run each type of school on its own.

Archived