Premed 101 Forums

IMG Clerkship in the States

Hey everyone!

Im asking a question on behalf of my brother who is an IMG. He is near graduation (3 months left) and is currently studying for USMLE step 1. He asked me to post this on the forum for him :)

1) Has anyone applied for visiting clerkships to any of the following schools/hospitals:

- Mayo Clinic

- Harvard

- Mt. Sinai

- John's Hopkins

- Rochester

- Weil Corenell

2) Does anyone know of a resource that lists all clerkships in the states in one place for ease of access? Googled it but unsuccessful

3) If anyone has been to these schools for their clerkship feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Hey everyone!

Im asking a question on behalf of my brother who is an IMG. He is near graduation (3 months left) and is currently studying for USMLE step 1. He asked me to post this on the forum for him :)

1) Has anyone applied for visiting clerkships to any of the following schools/hospitals:

- Mayo Clinic

- Harvard

- Mt. Sinai

- John's Hopkins

- Rochester

- Weil Corenell

2) Does anyone know of a resource that lists all clerkships in the states in one place for ease of access? Googled it but unsuccessful

3) If anyone has been to these schools for their clerkship feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

I don't have specific information on your question, but those schools are superior with respect to end-stage/fellowship training, research and pushing their fields. But with respect to clerkship, they do not hold that superior reputation. Clerkship is clerkship and pretty standard across all schools in North America.

I was going to do a Sub-I at Mayo Clinic, but the application was way too much work. I disagree that 'clerkship is clerkship.' There is a wide variation in quality of rotations out there. That's not to say that Ivy League programs necessarily have better rotations though.

Hello students, AmeriClerkships helps placement of students in US teaching hospital/community hospital/outpatient settings.

I can provide you with a document for a school representative to complete which specifies the requirements of your school.

I will be happy to help anyone with more questions. You can skype message me at Molly.Fraser.US :D Happy studies everyone!!

Molly

The quality of clerkship from Caribbean schools is nothing like 'Americlerkships' but it is still really varied too. Some are excellent, others are not. I'm not sure what Australian or Irish schools are like, although I'm guessing they're decent. It's very important if you attend an international school to look at the quality of their rotations, which is something that most people overlook.

This is kind of a scam. Sure they can set you up with "observerships" in the USA (for a hefty fee) but those mean jack squat. What kind of a program would harm its reputation by accepting some FMG decades out of training whose only domestic clinical exposure is through one of these questionable Americlerkships?

If you want to be a doctor in Canada or the USA, go to medical school in Canada or the USA. There are no free passes, but there are plenty of opportunities.

Hi, I am not sure exactly where you are getting your information from but this comment is completely incorrect. Our organization in no way offers observership programs. We assist in placement of students from multiple medical schools in multiple countries and have done so for many years. Students will enroll in programs ranging from 4 weeks of clinicals up to 72 weeks

The process for students is to have a document (which I can provide) completed by an official representative of your medical school. We then confirm the exact clinical sites which are required by your school and place our students ONLY in appropriate programs.

I hope this helps clarify any misconceptions. I am happy to help answer questions

Molly.Fraser.US

I am not really clear on what this means or how my comment is an "example" of anything. Please see my comment above regarding our experience with student placement

Molly

Hi Molly,

Sorry, I figured you were a spam bot which is why I put your name in quotes. I've heard from multiple people that Americlerkships is not a way to get real clinical experience. Simply being in a hospital or sitting in on rounds is not a real medical rotation. You have to follow your own patients every day, write SOAP notes on them, do admissions, and have real responsibilities. If you can offer clerkships like these,then by all means give proof as maybe these people saying otherwise are wrong.

Hi Molly,

Sorry, I figured you were a spam bot which is why I put your name in quotes. I've heard from multiple people that Americlerkships is not a way to get real clinical experience. Simply being in a hospital or sitting in on rounds is not a real medical rotation. You have to follow your own patients every day, write SOAP notes on them, do admissions, and have real responsibilities. If you can offer clerkships like these,then by all means give proof as maybe these people saying otherwise are wrong.

Hi Leviathan, its no problem. It's amazing what people can do these days with computers! haha! I guess you never know when it's a real person on the other end!

Now, I am preparing a thorough response for everyone to help "clear the air" and answer all questions students may have regarding our program :)

Since it is Match time, things of course are extraordinarily busy so please give me some time. I will be back again shortly!

Molly

• 2 years later...

Archived