Premed 101 Forums

is it wrong.....

Guest sachy

to do health care volunteer work (in a hospital setting) in the summer of when you apply (i.e. the summer of the year you have an interview....so u would have to "tell" the pannel that your going to do it, as there would be no records of it)....b/c i dont think i will have time to do hospital volunteer work during the semster if i take a full load, and work part time....i do have other volunteer work as well (rotary international, children's miracle, referee for elementary school bball...and folkfest)....

Guest gucio93

Sounds like your experiences are pretty diversified and that's partly what med school admissions are looking for. Also, your volunteer activities are quite commendable, so I wouldn't worry to much that you don't actually have "hospital experience." If you can do it in the summer, that's great and I don't think it would hurt to mention it during an interview, but make sure you're doing it because you're interested, not because it will make you look better for the adcoms. Afterall, you will be helping people - and if you're not interested, it will come across clearly - remember sick individuals in general feel more vulnerable than healthy persons and they can p/u disinterest/hidden agenda rather quickly - that wouldn't be cool.

Archived