Premed 101 Forums

All men or all women as references (Silly question)

Guest bioboy2007

Guest bioboy2007

I know this may sound like a dumb question but I'll put this out there anyways:

I've been considering who I would like to write my three reference letters and it looks like they will all be women. Ideally I would have liked one man/ two women or two men/ one woman for my references but I'm quite sure that the references I am choosing will provide me with good letters.

Does having a unequal sex distribution for references mean anything whatsoever, or am I just being obsessive-compulsive (as many on this board have likely already figured out :lol )?

<Edited to correct bad grammar!>

Guest turtle

i think you answered your own question there ;)

seriously, the most important qualification for your referees is that they know you well enough and in the right context to be in a good position to comment on the qualities that will make you a good doctor/med student...(that, and that they're not related to you!)

good luck!

turtle

Guest Jochi1543

LOL, I was originally planning to have 3 ladies as my references, and that thought did cross my head - so, she worked at a women's clinic for 3 years, was in a bunch of feminist discussion groups, and now all her references are female - is she not able to get along with men or something?:rollin Next thing you know, I get a crush on this adorable male professor and he gets to know me reeeeal good...so now I have 1 male and 2 female references.:hat :rollin

Guest The Law

LOL Jochi!

Don't worry too much about the fact they're all woman, just make sure they will write you a really good letter!

Archived