Premed 101 Forums

In-Province Criteria

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I just moved to Alberta two weeks ago. I was wondering if I would be able to claim in-province status when I apply to the Albertan medical schools? Also how will I be able to verify this? Can I just put my address and stuff down. Im afraid it might take a while for me to convert my health card and license.

Thanksssss :)

Hey guys,

I just moved to Alberta two weeks ago. I was wondering if I would be able to claim in-province status when I apply to the Albertan medical schools? yes Also how will I be able to verify this? they'll ask for proof if they're suspicious, but often they can tell if you have settled in AB by your whole application. Can I just put my address and stuff down. yes both address and stuff. Im afraid it might take a while for me to convert my health card and license. they don't care about those.

Thanksssss :)

. .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Does this apply to Non resident Canadians too? My daughter is studying in

American school in Saudi. She left calgary after 6th grade. She wants to pursue her studies in Medicine in Canada (one of the options is in Alberta province either in Calgary or Edmonton).

Thanks,

K

Wow, parents are now scouting this forum for med school advice for their kids. Makes you wander, who wants it more, the applicant or their parents!

To answer your question, it applies to Canadian citizens and permanent residents who can fulfill any one of the listed criteria. For example, if your daughter is a Canadian citizen, she can move to Alberta and live there for the 12 consecutive months immediately prior to the start of classes and apply as an Alberta resident.

EDIT: At least that's how I understand it. You probably should check with the admissions office before you make any big move just to be sure.

Does this apply to Non resident Canadians too? My daughter is studying in

American school in Saudi. She left calgary after 6th grade. She wants to pursue her studies in Medicine in Canada (one of the options is in Alberta province either in Calgary or Edmonton).

Thanks,

K

As a non-resident canadian, the first province your child lands is the province of residence

• 3 weeks later...

Weird. I never noticed the NWT at the bottom of this page. It hasn't hindered me thus far, but my father lives in NWT and that is techincally my only permanent residence ATM. However, my life has been essentially exclusive to NFLD so I am assuming to claim IP form NWT would be a hassle and a difficult battle to sway in my favor. Perhaps I'll be fine without it (:

Weird. I never noticed the NWT at the bottom of this page. It hasn't hindered me thus far, but my father lives in NWT and that is techincally my only permanent residence ATM. However, my life has been essentially exclusive to NFLD so I am assuming to claim IP form NWT would be a hassle and a difficult battle to sway in my favor. Perhaps I'll be fine without it (:

You could, but you will have to decide for yourself if it is right for you to do so. It may look suspicious if you are claiming to be IP in NWT but all your schooling, volunteering, working is back east.

You could, but you will have to decide for yourself if it is right for you to do so. It may look suspicious if you are claiming to be IP in NWT but all your schooling, volunteering, working is back east.

I did work over this past summer at my father's clinic in NWT, but I would rather keep my residency as is and let the cards fall as they will.

If it comes to it, and I need to re-apply next year, I'll consider it. I don't need to be putting up any red flags on my application. (:

I got rejected after full file review (OOP) and had been thinking of moving to AB for a year as I'm done school in April. Given those rejected here with IP with good stats, not sure if this is worth it. Do many people just move to different areas in order to gain IP status somewhere? Also, how likely would an interview be GPA 4.0, VB 10, Master's, tons of EC as I am non-trad and older (volunteering- several hospitals, school clubs, tutoring, research assistant at hospital, poster etc.). I'm just concerned given the quality of IP rejects that it really would not change much and am also feeling deflated and hopeless.

I got rejected after full file review (OOP) and had been thinking of moving to AB for a year as I'm done school in April. Given those rejected here with IP with good stats, not sure if this is worth it. Do many people just move to different areas in order to gain IP status somewhere? Also, how likely would an interview be GPA 4.0, VB 10, Master's, tons of EC as I am non-trad and older (volunteering- several hospitals, school clubs, tutoring, research assistant at hospital, poster etc.). I'm just concerned given the quality of IP rejects that it really would not change much and am also feeling deflated and hopeless.

Man a perfect GPA and a good verbal score.

You likely got a full review last year and it was the non-academic portion that got your application rejected. I am OOP with a similar application to yours and I have an interview this year. I would suggest reconsidering your references and how you address the faculty.

I see no objective problems with your application.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest andrea55

I am not sure if the answer has already been posted but I can't seem to find it.

I am applying next application cycle. If I am unsuccessful, I am considering a move to Calgary to gain in province status for U of C.

So I just wanted to ensure I understand correctly.

If I moved to Calgary in July or August- does that make me in province for that current application cycle (as I would be living in Calgary from that time until the time of matriculation)? that is the way that I understand it.

As long as I live in Alberta from the July or August prior to the date of anticipated matriculation right?

thank you

I am not sure if the answer has already been posted but I can't seem to find it.

I am applying next application cycle. If I am unsuccessful, I am considering a move to Calgary to gain in province status for U of C.

So I just wanted to ensure I understand correctly.

If I moved to Calgary in July or August- does that make me in province for that current application cycle (as I would be living in Calgary from that time until the time of matriculation)? that is the way that I understand it.

As long as I live in Alberta from the July or August prior to the date of anticipated matriculation right?

thank you

that's correct. That's what I did. I moved to Edmonton in late July and applied. I am considered IP.

Guest andrea55
that's correct. That's what I did. I moved to Edmonton in late July and applied. I am considered IP.

Ok great! thank you very much.

I am interested to see how this application cycle works out for you.

Best of luck!

Archived