Premed 101 Forums

In-Province Criteria

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest andrea55
Andrea- just ensure you're on time for your move if you want to do it. The school year starts July 31st (at least this year), so technically you would not count as IP if you arrived in August.

Oh! Ok great, thank you for giving me the heads up. I actually wasn't aware of that as I thought most schools started middle to late August.

If I decide to go that route I will certainly ensure I move good and early. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry to drag this topic up again, but I have a question. I moved to Alberta in August 2012, but am planning on leaving the province from mid June to mid August this year (2013), before applying while I finish up my Masters degree. This won't cause any problems with my IP status will it? I know I'll technically be out of the province for the July 31st cut off, but having lived in the province for an extended amount of time before hand I assumed there wouldn't be an issue, but now I'm starting to worry.

I will be keeping my apartment for the 8 or 10 weeks I will be away, so I will technically have an apartment in which I am "living" from the July 31st cutoff until I return in mid August.

I'm sorry to drag this topic up again, but I have a question. I moved to Alberta in August 2012, but am planning on leaving the province from mid June to mid August this year (2013), before applying while I finish up my Masters degree. This won't cause any problems with my IP status will it? I know I'll technically be out of the province for the July 31st cut off, but having lived in the province for an extended amount of time before hand I assumed there wouldn't be an issue, but now I'm starting to worry.

I will be keeping my apartment for the 8 or 10 weeks I will be away, so I will technically have an apartment in which I am "living" from the July 31st cutoff until I return in mid August.

I don't think I would worry. I had to leave as well for my Ontario interviews. In a sense, we are in the same situation. As long as you have a good enough reason then they should be fine. I keep all my records (flight tickets, interview dates) in handy in the very possible case they want to see them.

I am IP in Alberta. I interviewed at UofC this month. If I don't get accepted this year, then I am debating doing a master's overseas and then reapplying to UofC. Does anyone know if I would lose my Alberta status if I moved to e.g. the UK and studied there for a year? (I am a permanent resident of Canada with no family in Canada).

I am IP in Alberta. I interviewed at UofC this month. If I don't get accepted this year, then I am debating doing a master's overseas and then reapplying to UofC. Does anyone know if I would lose my Alberta status if I moved to e.g. the UK and studied there for a year? (I am a permanent resident of Canada with no family in Canada).

Hey! So from the reading I've done about it, as long as you did your degree in Alberta, you are considered IP. That said, there is an entire thread on the UofA forum that talks about IP criteria which you might want to check out.

Also consider that if you are thinking of doing a master's abroad, some universities in Canada might not accept you until you are finished your degree (i.e. you will not be considered if you are in the middle of your degree and/or won't be done by the time you would start med schoool). Not sure what master's degree you were looking into, but unless it's a one year masters, it might be something you want to consider.

Hope that helps! I looked a lot into going to the UK for school (once upon a time), so let me know if I can be of anymore help!

• 9 months later...
Quick question about IP status.

The admissions site says that class will start on July 2015 next year. Does it mean that I need to move before July 2014 to gain IP status? Or can I move later than July but before September?

You have to be living in Alberta exactly a year before the classes start for which year you're applying to. For example, classes for 2014 start July 28th, so applicants who wanted IP status and applied this cycle had to be in Alberta by July 28th, 2013.

• 4 weeks later...

According to this application manual from the UofC School of Medicine:

http://wcmprod3.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/ApplicantManual2013-2014updatedSept.pdf

An Alberta resident is defined as such:

1. Have lived in Alberta for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which admissions is sought (ie August 1st, 2013 - August 1st 2014). The one-year residence period shall NOT be considered broken if the admissions committee is satisfied that the applicant was temporarily out of the province on vacation, in short term employment, or as a full-time student.

Does this mean that I can move to Alberta this July 2014, then go to another province for my master's for one year and still be considered an IP applicant for Calgary?

Have lived in Alberta for the 12 consecutive months IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING the first day of classes of the term for which admissions is sought

So no, I think if you were to to your master's in another province, and THEN move to Alberta for a year prior to possible admission, then you would be OK. The other way around does not qualify.

According to this application manual from the UofC School of Medicine:

http://wcmprod3.ucalgary.ca/mdprogram/files/mdprogram/ApplicantManual2013-2014updatedSept.pdf

1. Have lived in Alberta for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which admissions is sought (ie August 1st, 2013 - August 1st 2014). The one-year residence period shall NOT be considered broken if the admissions committee is satisfied that the applicant was temporarily out of the province on vacation, in short term employment, or as a full-time student.

Does this mean that I can move to Alberta this July 2014, then go to another province for my master's for one year and still be considered an IP applicant for Calgary?

You have to live in Alberta for a year prior, then, if you left for a masters for however long it took you and returned you would be ok. This is assuming you do your masters under a full time registration.

So with your example, if you move to Alberta July 2014, stay here until August 2015, go do a masters, return May 2016 and apply for the upcoming cycle you would be ok.

Yeah, I dont think the statement is clear enough... It seems like to me that you can move there August 2014, leave for a master's September 2014-September2015 and then apply October 2015 as an IP candidate. This would be amazing if it were true...

If it is not I guess the best thing to do is just do your masters in calgary then... does anyone know of any good programs?

Nathan how did you come to that conclusion?

The manual said nothing of how long the applicant needs to stay in Alberta before leaving for full-time studies. They left it open and said the adcom needs to be 'satisfied.'

Nathan how did you come to that conclusion?

The manual said nothing of how long the applicant needs to stay in Alberta before leaving for full-time studies. They left it open and said the adcom needs to be 'satisfied.'

1. Have lived in Alberta for the 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes of the term for which admissions is sought

They posted it? If OP wants to go do a masters, then come back and wait a year to apply then that's fine. Either way they need to be in this province for a year prior to application.

Uoftpremed, you may have to stay in Alberta for your 1 year masters but it's worth a call to the admissions office to see if they'd accept a relocation to Alberta months before starting a 1-year degree in another province.

Either way they need to be in this province for a year prior to application.

No they don't.

The second part of point 1. is that the applicant can leave the province temporarily, for full-time studies, in the year prior to classes. Exactly how temporary is up to the adcom to decide.

Uoftpremed, you may have to stay in Alberta for your 1 year masters but it's worth a call to the admissions office to see if they'd accept a relocation to Alberta months before starting a 1-year degree in another province.

No they don't.

The second part of point 1. is that the applicant can leave the province temporarily, for full-time studies, in the year prior to classes. Exactly how temporary is up to the adcom to decide.

If the applicant was from Alberta sure. But OP isn't. They've stated if they were to move to Alberta, which means at some point before the app they would have to be in Alberta for a year.

If the applicant was from Alberta sure. But OP isn't. They've stated if they were to move to Alberta, which means at some point before the app they would have to be in Alberta for a year.

No. The applicant can be from anywhere and still be considered IP if he establishes Alberta residence in July and leaves temporarily thereafter.

What do you mean by "from Alberta" as it pertains to point 1?

Sorry, but if you completed your highschool and received your highschool diploma here in Alberta but decided to go to a university that is not in Alberta, such as UWO, are you still considered to be an IP applicant?

Just want to clarify this 100%. Thanks guys.

If you obtained at least 2 years of your high school education in Alberta you will be an IP no matter where you go.

Thanks! I am going to contact them. Hopefully I can get their approval in writing too in case they end up trying to reject the claim. Worse thing would be to spend all that money to move out there + on master's then find out you didnt even get IP status lol.

Does anyone know how many schools you gain IP resident status with if you move to Yelloknife? I am just curious. I have always been interested in circumpolar research and wouldn't mind spending a year there...

No they don't.

Archived