Premed 101 Forums

Summer ideas?

Sarvish

So I may be in a little trouble now. I'm taking a full-year course during the summer and I really thought I'd get a 299 course at UofT to go with it. However, the one that I really wanted was apparently filled even before the applications went online and now I'm not sure about the other two.

In case I don't get a research position, what else could I do this summer? I'm volunteering at a hospital on top of my course but I feel as if I still have a ton of free time. Work's an option but I'm thinking that I'd rather do something a bit more fun or something that'll help my med app out a bit.

So I may be in a little trouble now. I'm taking a full-year course during the summer and I really thought I'd get a 299 course at UofT to go with it. However, the one that I really wanted was apparently filled even before the applications went online and now I'm not sure about the other two.

In case I don't get a research position, what else could I do this summer? I'm volunteering at a hospital on top of my course but I feel as if I still have a ton of free time. Work's an option but I'm thinking that I'd rather do something a bit more fun or something that'll help my med app out a bit.

If you don't get a 299, try to volunteer for a lab? There are tons of labs looking for volunteers over the summer. I'm sure you can get one!

Guest Fresh_Underwear

It's never too late to volunteer in the lab. After all, you're not being paid. I got my first research position in a lab via volunteering and I emailed over 30 professors in May, so it's never too late. Granted you are not being paid so don't expect to do "exciting" stuff in the lab. My first lab volunteer was an exception, the students I currently interview now for volunteer position gets to do really mundane tasks or chores no one else wants to do. So think about if that's what you want to do with your time.

A few tips to make the best of your volunteer experience, look for small labs. Smaller labs generally have less funding so there are fewer personnel. So the benefit is that chores are usually light and you get better chance to work one-on-one with a more exciting project. Also, since there are fewer people, you get more attention from the PI, who can be really interesting to talk to and provide guidance on your future. Contrast to big lab where most graduate students rarely even get a chance to interact with their PI.

Another tip is look for younger PIs (assistant professors), sure older PIs have experience and better publication records, but they are not as motivated to interact with you. They are well established and they are looking to further their research, not their academic portfolio. Younger professors need student mentorship as part of their CV application for tenure so every student counts. Therefore, to them you're more important, hence more valuable. Also they generally have faster publication cycles (even for small journals) so you might get lucky and have your name on a publication. Large labs generally don't have this opportunity.

Of course, keep in mind that there are exceptions, but these are just advice that I think could improve your chances. :)

Thank you! I never really thought about the younger PIs but your reasoning makes a ton of sense.

I'd definitely be fine doing boring tasks, I just don't want to be sitting at home all summer and if doing boring tasks convinces me that research isn't for me then it's a productive summer after all, isn't it?

If you're in the GTA area, would you be able to recommend some smaller labs that are good for taking in volunteers or be able to give me a couple tips on how exactly to find them?

ETA: Epic freak-out avoided, have an interview for a 299 course. Hopefully it goes well. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I emailed a lot of labs ( about a 100!) for co-op/paid work this summer, and many replied saying they don't have any positions but can offer volunteer positions. So if you leave your email, I can send you them, since PMing isn't working!

Katie if I pm you my email would you mind giving me the list as well, please?

i'm applying to a bunch of mental health advocacy and programming jobs, i'm even tempted to run for the anti-stigma national job, even though they want masters level... i know it's basically because of stats, and i know spss like back of my hand and have 2 years research environment experience... something tells me they want more the psych undergrads with mph's though than the masters in psych guys... i think i'll get a lot more consideration for provincial stuff though

Since this is my thread I figured I'd update.

I did manage to get a 299 position (paid too!), so imminent disaster has been avoided. Thanks for the help everyone! :D

Aren't the 299 positions a course where you don't get paid? How did you manage to get a paid position when your getting a credit? lol

I emailed a lot of labs ( about a 100!) for co-op/paid work this summer, and many replied saying they don't have any positions but can offer volunteer positions. So if you leave your email, I can send you them, since PMing isn't working!

Hi katie,

i am looking for volunteer research positions and i would really appreciate if you could email me the list.

thank you very much.

my email is: rps922@hotmail.com

have a great summer^^

Archived