Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview jitters?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Woo, survived 5 weeks of waiting since interviews; only 5 m.ore weeks of speculation to go

I am at risk of going insane ... my girlfriend yesterday stated that I have gone through 14 bouts of mania since the interview. I am not sure that SHE can survive until May 15th :D I forced her to watch several classic episodes of Trauma Life in the ER on Saturday night ... LOL.

I believe you are supposed to ignore the examiner completely in an actor station, although I might be wrong about this.

Oh, really? Wow! Well she didn't greet me either like the rest of the interviewers, just looked up and was busy writing something so I just gave a terrified smile and said a weak hi. I just hope I didn't come across as rude! :(

Recently, I realized I didn't shake hands with the panel when I left.

Of course, it would have been better to shake hands, but if the rest of your interview went well I doubt failing to shake hands could overshadow how you came off as a candidate for the majority of your interview. There are more important things the panel must be considering.

It's hard not to worry about this stuff, I know! But there's nothing you can do now, and I don't think one small slip-up such as this would eclipse an otherwise good impression. Hope it works out for you!

maybe instead of obsessing over the tiny details which will only make us all more anxious, lets instead talk about the great things that we didn't do during the interview.

for example, i'm pretty happy i didn't vomit on myself, another interviewer or any examiner.

i am also pretty proud that I didn't burst into hysterical laughter when they asked a hard question and I'm glad I didn't respond to any MMI question with a 'well damn, if I knew that we wouldn't be here right!'

:P

Was feeling pretty good about my two lottery tickets; numbers are good, interviews felt great. I sort of waver between, I've got this, and, there's no way. Today someone was telling me about their cousin who was in the same boat as us two years ago. He even went so far as to say he felt pretty positive he was in, that the interviewers loved him, etc and then ....nada. Outright rejection. He was blown away, devastated, pretty much everything you'd expect.

Feeling pretty deflated again. The wait is really tough. :(

You're doomed.

Yep. Applying to college now.

Of course, it would have been better to shake hands, but if the rest of your interview went well I doubt failing to shake hands could overshadow how you came off as a candidate for the majority of your interview.

I hope you're right. The dazed and confused look when they said it was over should clue them in on the unintentional nature of my rudeness.

maybe instead of obsessing over the tiny details which will only make us all more anxious, lets instead talk about the great things that we didn't do during the interview.

for example, i'm pretty happy i didn't vomit on myself, another interviewer or any examiner.

i am also pretty proud that I didn't burst into hysterical laughter when they asked a hard question and I'm glad I didn't respond to any MMI question with a 'well damn, if I knew that we wouldn't be here right!'

I'm glad I didn't pass wind. It's tough to eat properly when you're living out of hotels.

I didn't either, but they did not get up to shake hands with me when I stood up.

Exactly! In my mind, they were just as unfriendly :P

Was feeling pretty good about my two lottery tickets; numbers are good, interviews felt great. I sort of waver between, I've got this, and, there's no way. Today someone was telling me about their cousin who was in the same boat as us two years ago. He even went so far as to say he felt pretty positive he was in, that the interviewers loved him, etc and then ....nada. Outright rejection. He was blown away, devastated, pretty much everything you'd expect.

This is precisely why I won't assume I did well or poorly. It is very hard to predict what they want in some cases, especially with panel interviews. No matter how good you feel about the interview, you just might not be the type of person they are looking for.

I have no idea how I did! Some days I think I rocked it and then other days I think of something stupid I said. I have applied for a masters program as a back up plan so I started planning for that to keep my mind off of med school. The way I'm looking at it is if I don't get my hopes up then they can't be crushed right? and yes I know I'm loosing my mind.. I am starting to think like that girl in this years western mmi video who blows her interview when she starts talking about how her life is going to end if she doesn't get into med school and her part ends with her getting kicked out of the electronics store because she sneaks in and watches the televisions... if you haven't seen it watch it! Her part is about 18 minutes in. Whenever I start freakin out I watch that part and it makes me laugh :)

*oh wait this sounds exactly like me...

*assumes fetal position.

I'm happy that I didn't trip and fall flat on my face running from station to station (some of the MMI stations in my group were awkwardly far apart). This was an accomplishment in and of itself because my one heel had slid into an awkward position the first time I had to run to the next room.... and then every time I had to run after that my shoe was falling off! :o I had no idea if I should have entered the room and said "pardon me while I fix my shoe. These shoes were made for walking. And that's just what they'll do. But one of these days these shoes are going to fall onto the floor" lolz;)

good stories.

i was thrown off at the start of my MMI, "hey, hey, my, MMI..."

a little Neil for ya, anyway, i was starting at number 8, and all the rooms were in one hall except 10 which was around the corner. luckily there was a guy that guided you in and out of that one...so i am at 8 and i am trying to orient myself to where to where 9 was, on the right, but there is no body there! so i think, i know 10 is around the corner and i am 8...."uh, excuse me, where is number 9? "number nine, number 9".... number 9 was missing, don't know if they ever showed up.

as much as i feel i did well overall, ya, i have been researching masters programs....d@mn you world wide web!

I'm up to plan E now. I was considering making a flow chart to make it easier :) 31 more days :S

My plan B was to do a master program, but I haven't applied anywhere and I don't really want to. So then my plan B was to do another undergrad, but I haven't applied yet. Now I think my plan B is to try to teach in Korea for a year.

So plan B: Go teach English. Plan C: Do another undergrad. Plan D: Do some sort of fun certificate program. Plan D: Masters (but in what???).

BAH! I have done nothing (but research) for any of these plans!

Archived