Premed 101 Forums

Post-interview jitters?

This thread is for anyone with post interview jitters or for anyone who can help answer our questions to alleviate them. :-) I am experiencing quite a bit... It seems like so many applicants make the cut for interview and are nitpicked out at the end even for preinterview scores like gpa and mcat. Do schools differ on this? Anyone have a comment to that topic? Thanks in advance.

Aaaaa a whole six weeks til I get five emails on one day (want to hide under the covers).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beef, Henderson, TaigaGal, futuredoc and others: I really, really hope you have a winning lottery ticket as well!

It's funny, I was at a party with a UBC Med student the other day, and he said that May 15th was exactly like winning the lottery! I think that's an apt description.

Beef, thanks for the vote of confidence! It boosted me up.

I guess I am stressing because there is really no way (and no reasonable amount of time as a mature student) I could improve on my stats if I had to apply again. This is perhaps my last shot at med school. I really hope one of these does come through. I am going to start majorly focussing on all the positive things I did in the interviews to make myself think in the positive direction! It will be wasted time fretting in any case, if I get in or not! I think I did a lot of good things in the interviews anyway!

Best of luck to us all!

:D

I'm wavering between being really happy with my number of 'lottery tickets' and panicking that I am still not going to get in. Currently, I am playing with excel spreadsheets and crunching very hypothetical numbers in an attempt to soothe my nerves.

42 days and some hours...

re: how people feel about MMI stations.............i am wondering if there are people who actually freeze up during a station, or know nothing about one of the questions asked? i suppose there are but i never see any posts from people like that. i myself did not know much at all about 2 MMI stations and kind of winged it, but are there others who also went through something similar?

I think we've all felt like we winged a station or two. I've never heard of anyone literally freezing up and not saying anything for the full 8 minutes, but then again, I guess anything's possible. Few people would have the guts to admit it publicly though :rolleyes:

throughout my med school application process, from answering essay questions to mmi prep, my 2 year old has been learning new words. today as we were waiting to order in the drive through line up at Tim Horton's he said "double"...as in "double double". now he is in his crib saying it over and over again. and if i get into med school (with my one lotto ticket) he is going to hear me say it a lot more! :rolleyes:

Oh man, this thread is perfect for me.

Two lottery tickets BUT they were both panel interviews that I don't feel good about.

And, I finished interviews about a month ago, so that'll be 10 weeks of waiting by May 15th. March saw me swing through the whole range of emotions, I think my friends and family are on the verge of disowning me.

I think we've all felt like we winged a station or two. I've never heard of anyone literally freezing up and not saying anything for the full 8 minutes, but then again, I guess anything's possible. Few people would have the guts to admit it publicly though :rolleyes:

Last year in the first station of my MMI I totally froze up. I was so nervous and my mouth was so dry I couldn't talk at first. Probably 3 minutes went by with only saying about 6 - 8 words. Thankfully, at that point the interviewer asked me to talk about myself for a couple minutes. I could barely do that, then I brushed over the topic of the station - very poorly - for the last 90 - 120 seconds or so. It was a disaster. (However, I still know that I ended up scoring pretty good on my MMI overall)

I am right there with you guys! I have completely lost motivation to work on my thesis as well, which is terrible! I think the worst part of this whole experience is all the questions and expectations from everyone around me, I really wish I could have done this without telling anyone about it! Hopefully we can all support each other via this forum through this crazy time, and we will all have some good news to post come the 15th of May! Good luck all!

I'm wavering between being really happy with my number of 'lottery tickets' and panicking that I am still not going to get in. Currently, I am playing with excel spreadsheets and crunching very hypothetical numbers in an attempt to soothe my nerves.

42 days and some hours...

Hahaha thought i was the crazy one trying crazy predictive methods by guessing hypothetical scenarios. I have done this ridiculous number crunching as well in an attempt to soothe the anxiety.

I think the worst part of this whole experience is all the questions and expectations from everyone around me, I really wish I could have done this without telling anyone about it!

I completely agree! If it's a rejection on May 15th (*knocks on wood*) the worst part is having to go through that same feeling of dread and disappointment everytime someone asks you about it. Oh well... we've tried our best and that's all we can do at this point.

Totally reminded me of Hunger Games "May be the odds be ever in your favor"

If I could LIKE this post I totally would!

re: how people feel about MMI stations.............i am wondering if there are people who actually freeze up during a station, or know nothing about one of the questions asked? i suppose there are but i never see any posts from people like that. i myself did not know much at all about 2 MMI stations and kind of winged it, but are there others who also went through something similar?

I heard a funny story about a guy screwing up his stations at Mac this year. Apparently went in before the 2 mins was up and at another point entered another person's interview room. I wonder if he'll get in.

Archived