Premed 101 Forums

Scholarships for the class of 2016

I also found it odd that we had to apply for the Schulich scholarship before we knew about admissions. I explained in the Admission Bursary application how I hadn't given too much thought to finances yet because that would be like raising hopes for admission and would make the defeat more crushing.

Good luck to all you deserving people applying for the Schulich Scholarship, man that would be a sweet reward for all the premed hardships we endured!

I also found it odd that we had to apply for the Schulich scholarship before we knew about admissions. I explained in the Admission Bursary application how I hadn't given too much thought to finances yet because that would be like raising hopes for admission and would make the defeat more crushing.

Good luck to all you deserving people applying for the Schulich Scholarship, man that would be a sweet reward for all the premed hardships we endured!

It is because the scholarship is suppose to be a reason to come to the school. If you don't know you would get it how can it be useful to you in deciding which acceptance to take? :)

It is because the scholarship is suppose to be a reason to come to the school. If you don't know you would get it how can it be useful to you in deciding which acceptance to take? :)

Very true sir. But I'm sure after the interview weekend several applicants would choose Western even without the financial incentive. In any case, at least it forces you to start considering finances rather than remain in an oblivious bubble.

I was just taking a look at the OSAP Estimate that I used to fill in the expected OSAP section of the bursary form, and I realized that I mistakenly selected the '4th year', Medicine - 4 year program (34 week length) rather than the '1st Year Medicine-4 Year program (40 week length) for the plan of study.

In doing this, it looks as though I underestimated my OSAP by over $2000. (I'm guessing this is because if the difference in program length) :S

Does anyone know if I should contact the finance office and try to make a change to the application, or will it all sort itself out later when I fill out the actual application?

Very true sir. But I'm sure after the interview weekend several applicants would choose Western even without the financial incentive. In any case, at least it forces you to start considering finances rather than remain in an oblivious bubble.

Ha! We hope that would be true - Western really is an amazing school :)

Finances are important of course but one think I love about Canada is that if you can get into medical school regardless of your background you can afford it. That is a pretty awesome thing!

just to make sure, you can strictly apply for the bursary, and not the scholarship?

and also, filling this out has no bearing on my chances of getting in?

I am not sure whether I am on people's ignore list or something, but can anyone answer my questions? If you are unsure what I mean, let me know and I will clarify.

Archived