Premed 101 Forums

Should future doctors be bilingual?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just thought about this and wondered if maybe I should learn French before I apply to medical school? That will be some time away so I have at least 2 more summers before applying. :)

Depends on where you want to practice. You will need French if you practice in Quebec. As for Francophones in the ROC, most of them can speak English, but being able to speak French will definitively help.

As in should it be a requirement? God no. We already have a federal government that has gone overboard with the bilingual thing. Remember, huge swaths of the country lack any sizable French population at all.

In some locations, learning mandarin or whatever would be far more valuable as a second language. If you wanna practice in Quebec or Northern NB French will be an asset.

That being said, if you want to learn a second language, it's not gonna hurt you, no matter why language you choose.

I wouldn't learn a language just because you think you might encounter a patient or two who speak it. Unless you are absolutely fluent, chances are, your ESL patients will speak better English than you will speak their language. Also, conversational vocabulary =/= medical vocabulary. I'm a native Russian speaker and just this week I had a patient who was Russian. She really wanted to discuss her child with me in Russian, so I said yes, and it was quite a struggle for me. I kept stuttering and raking my brain for terms like "gastroesophageal reflux" or "colic" in Russian. It's my native language, but not the language in which I studied medicine! If you plan to use a foreign language with your patients, you have to make sure you take specific courses in medical Spanish/French/whatever.

Don't you learn French as a second language in the rest of Canada? I can't understand how some of my canadian classmates can not put 5 words of French in a conversation...

lol I find that quite hilarious that people can live in a french-speaking province and not know any french. Out of curiosity, do people speak french quite often in Quebec?

lol I find that quite hilarious that people can live in a french-speaking province and not know any french. Out of curiosity, do people speak french quite often in Quebec?

Everything is in French here, but English is oftenly used. I heard that even UdeM profs publish in English most of the time, eventhough UdeM prides itself as being the best francophone university in North America.

Don't you learn French as a second language in the rest of Canada? I can't understand how some of my canadian classmates can not put 5 words of French in a conversation...

Canada is supposed to be bilingual, but that's just a big lie, especially with the lack of respect Anglophones show toward Francophones.

It's because in most of the country, there really is no need, or even an opportunity, to use French so the schools provide merely a token amount of French to students (unless they are French Immersion). Then add on the fact that students probably never need to use French outside french class means they quickly forget the little knowledge they have once grade school is over.

until grade 9. but no one really knows any french in grade 9 and memorizes crap to barely get by. after that, everyone forgets everything.

I just thought about this and wondered if maybe I should learn French before I apply to medical school? That will be some time away so I have at least 2 more summers before applying. :)

to answer your question of if docs should be bilingual, yes they should, but they dont have to.

and tp answer your question of if you should learn french, yes b/c there are 2 french med schools that alot of us wont be applying as 99% of us dont know french fluent enough to boogie at the french school

It goes both ways - as an anglophone trying to learn French (it's my major) there has been a lot of disrespect when I travel to Quebec - or at least within a 1.5 hour radius outside of Montreal. But it goes both ways. It just depends on the people you meet.

It's also because Quebec is frustrated, before Bill 101, everything was in English here, even now, Quebecers fear for their language. But you don'tsee Quebecers saying, learning English is like learning Chinese.

Plus, a lot of Anglo Quebecers don't want to learn French.

I learned French in high school, took the AP exam, went to Quebec after high school for the French Language bursary program, and even did two more years of intense French lit and grammar in college.

What did that get me? Nothing. Spanish is more useful than French out here on the left coast. And of course Mandarin and Cantonese are undeniably the most important second and third languages in my private practice. French isn't even on the radar.

I think it's funny that all the parents want to enroll their kids in French immersion out here. I'd enroll my kid in Mandarin immersion with Spanish as a third language before sending my kid to do French immersion.

French may be an official language, and I am semi-fluent in it (but have lost a lot of it since I haven't really spoken it in 10 years), but it is utterly useless unless you're in a federal job or live in Quebec, NB or Ottawa. (No disrespect to the Quebeccers here, as I loved learning French, but I really have not used any French at all in the past 10 years)

to answer your question of if docs should be bilingual, yes they shouldl

What's your logic for this? Outside of Quebec, parts of NB and parts of Eastern Ontario, French is not even on the map for languages. There is no reason to say a doc should be bilingual. Aaaaand as Moo said, in lots of other parts of the country, other languages, not French, would be far more useful if you are talking about bilingualism. I can't even think of a practical reason, just political ones.

Archived