Premed 101 Forums

2 best years avg...not anymore?

Have any one heard of the proposed change that might occur in this July about the best 2 years avg requirement? It will actually see your performance in all of the years you have completed so far. I did hear this from someone before and now Sherill also told me that there is a chance. If there is no more 2 best years it's going to be difficult :(

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have any one heard of the proposed change that might occur in this July about the best 2 years avg requirement? It will actually see your performance in all of the years you have completed so far. I did hear this from someone before and now Sherill also told me that there is a chance. If there is no more 2 best years it's going to be difficult :(

Nope I have not heard of it but if it is true, then there is likely a chance that number of eligible applicants would decrease rapidly as ~ 18% of applicants apply in their second year!

I know that there will be changes regarding both IP and OOP pool requirements. I heard that they might focus on best 2 years but they won't completely ignore other years...not sure. So applicants who apply in their second year might have privilage if they ace both years. But for upper years might be not so advantageous :( Sherill didn't confirm anything though she said we have to wait till July for the new requirements. Hope they do not include any EC requirements like others schools :confused:

I know that there will be changes regarding both IP and OOP pool requirements. I heard that they might focus on best 2 years but they won't completely ignore other years...not sure. So applicants who apply in their second year might have privilage if they ace both years. But for upper years might be not so advantageous :( Sherill didn't confirm anything though she said we have to wait till July for the new requirements. Hope they do not include any EC requirements like others schools :confused:

:( Oh so I guess we will have to wait until July to see what changes they make...Let me cross my fingers, and hope to get accepted this year!

Where did you hear that there might be changes to the 2 year policy? That would be rather unfortunate as I had Sask pegged as one of my top options :(

The same thing goes for me. I even changed province counting on this 2 best yrs policy :( I heard from my roommate first and then Sherill- the admission coordinator of College of Medicine also gave me hint about it. She said there will be changes in both pools- IP and OOP. This is what she said in the email---

"As for your U of T academic record, the way the requirements currently are, we would consider only your best two full years. However, the proposed changes might create a different way of calculating the academic average and then your U of T academic record may come into play."

I felt really low after getting her reply:( . I had poor grades in my 1st year at U of T and was planning to apply to med in fall 2015 after getting the residency of this province and raising my grades. By then I would have completed almost 3 yrs of schooling in U of S. So looks like they will review our transcript starting from 1st year. Well it might not be as bad as I am thinking but it won't be as easy as before. I really don't want this to happen though:(

GUYS...think about why medicine might IMPLEMENT this decision???

Any reasons???

-My belief marks have shot up considerably in the past few years and to "control" it they could implement counting all your years? (But it still doesn't make sense: given that a 4th year student could be at a dis-advantage over a 3rd year student) (more years more difficult to maintain a consistent average in increasing difficulty of the courses)

So, there is no way College of Medicine would implement this decision...

For once, I think someones trolling [besides me] (they are not going to consider all your years averages)

also analyzing your email... the key word is "different" can we assume they will retain the two year average system... along with the new system they are implementing???

hahaha...honestly I don't think they would make MCAT a requirement, though I guess I have to write it :D . However, surprisingly my roommate told me previously that they might keep the 2 best years policy but won't completely ignore your other performances like now. But that kind of confusing though, isn't it? How are they going to consider old grades though :confused: ughh why they have to do this :mad:

It is also possible they will set up a calculation similar to that of U of Ottawa, where your last years GPA is more important than the your second to last, and so on and so on. For example:

Year 4 GPA x 3

Year 3 GPA x 2

Year 2 GPA x 1

Total GPA/6 = Functional GPA

That would account for everything in Sherrill's email but still heavily weight the last years of one's undergrad.

My two cents, but, who knows...

It is also possible they will set up a calculation similar to that of U of Ottawa, where your last years GPA is more important than the your second to last, and so on and so on. For example:

Year 4 GPA x 3

Year 3 GPA x 2

Year 2 GPA x 1

Total GPA/6 = Functional GPA

That would account for everything in Sherrill's email but still heavily weight the last years of one's undergrad.

My two cents, but, who knows...

this could be the case..but still 2nd yr students will have advantage over 3rd and 4th yr students if they can apply after 2 years of university. Applying after 2nd year is way easier than applying after 4th year. UOttawa has the policy for applying after 3rd year which is still feasible. To make it fair to everyone if they change the 2 best years policy then they should also change the eligibility requuirements and require 3 years of university like other schools . Otherwise it isn't fair :( Don't know what are theyplanning to do:confused:

this could be the case..but still 2nd yr students will have advantage over 3rd and 4th yr students if they can apply after 2 years of university. Applying after 2nd year is way easier than applying after 4th year. UOttawa has the policy for applying after 3rd year which is still feasible. To make it fair to everyone if they change the 2 best years policy then they should also change the eligibility requuirements and require 3 years of university like other schools . Otherwise it isn't fair :( Don't know what are theyplanning to do:confused:

Lolz it is a competition. I would actually prefer this rule. It wouldnt apply this year and next year you will have less 2nd years (currently 1st years) competiting.

The same thing goes for me. I even changed province counting on this 2 best yrs policy :( I heard from my roommate first and then Sherill- the admission coordinator of College of Medicine also gave me hint about it. She said there will be changes in both pools- IP and OOP. This is what she said in the email---

"As for your U of T academic record, the way the requirements currently are, we would consider only your best two full years. However, the proposed changes might create a different way of calculating the academic average and then your U of T academic record may come into play."

I felt really low after getting her reply:( . I had poor grades in my 1st year at U of T and was planning to apply to med in fall 2015 after getting the residency of this province and raising my grades. By then I would have completed almost 3 yrs of schooling in U of S. So looks like they will review our transcript starting from 1st year. Well it might not be as bad as I am thinking but it won't be as easy as before. I really don't want this to happen though:(

Hey labonya01, do you mind telling me whether you took full course load at UofT or not? I guess we can probably deduce this new changes in admission criteria' from this e-mail...And forget about waiting until July, I can't even wait for May to come! :P

also analyzing your email... the key word is "different" can we assume they will retain the two year average system... along with the new system they are implementing???

Even if they completely change the requirement, I think they would still retain the best two-year average system just like what they did with new prerequisite requirement. Recall that College of Medicine allowed applicants to apply under MCAT/prerequisite system for two additional years after they introduced the new admission criteria in 2008 (I think?), and I had a friend (in class of 2014) who applied in 2009 under MCAT/prerequisite system even though she could have applied under prerequisite system only.

Hey aishley, No I didn't have the full course load. I had 60% course load at in U of T. So I was wondering that too whether they will include years without full course load. I can't wait till July either :confused:

what I was thinking that they might follow the same path as Queen's. They also have the 2 best years avg and the other way is to calculated avg based on years completed so far. They calculate the avg in those two ways and consider whichever is higher. I would really prefer for that. That would be pretty much same as now :D

oh no this is horrible news ;(

7 years ago when I started university I always just told myself, its fine I can just crush the 2 best years and get in..... ahhhhh!

Hopefully they bring back the MCAT requirement to really thin out the applicant pool so if I don't get in this year I still might have a shot!

This is not good.

I'm really nervous!

I would hope that any changes made in July would not be made effective for the coming September application cycle.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whether they typically have implemented changes without much advanced notice to the applicants? Many applicants have been preparing for the last few years under the impression they'd have the 2-year average, and this might be a significant blow to some.

Guys, I got info from a reliable source, here is (a brief summary) of the changes made:

1) References are no longer required

2) Preference is given to students whom are involved in a science (related major) [phpY, Micro/Immu, Biochem...] (apparently they begin looking at these after averages jumped for dent and med... and was mostly due to people undertaking easier degrees)

3) They are bringing an essay (not sure how much its worth) [and not sure what the point is of the essay, all I heard was it is to show:

-"Reason for doing Medicine?" and other relevant factors (maybe EC... not sure)

The person (who is in the committee) said, these were some of the changes they were considering (not sure if they implemented them or not... person did not give me complete detail for confidentiality :( ) As well (MAJOR THING) they are revising the marking system (but again the person did not shed any info on it...)

Archived