Premed 101 Forums

2 best years avg...not anymore?

Same goes for university exams - they also depend on luck. You're expected to know everything, but you're only tested on a small portion of it. Sometimes, a concept taught in class isn't even tested on the exam, but you're still expected to know it because it might be on the exam.

Agree with you on that one, but some aspects of MCAT is politically based. Have you ever wonder as to why test takers are not allowed to view their 'raw scores', and how about those experimental passages/questions that are not scored....how will it impact the overall score? I guess its just me who is irritated by MCAT.

On the other side, getting an 26N on MCAT is not harder, but one tends to reach a threshold at score of 30, after which getting a higher score tend to be more difficult

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The person didn't give me details... lol... it was a family friend (who came over for supper) and just talked with my parents... and I just informally asked him about things... not much details known about how the marking system might change... but all I know - change is coming.

As well, the person asked me what degree I was doing... apparently, college of medicine will factor in the degree background students come from... (basically, they will give preference to people from a biochem, phys-pharm, immuno... rather than someone in geo, sociology, music, kin... etc)... asked the person why they plan on doing this... the response was "due to increasing averages over the past few years... most of the >90% was due to people taking 'easier degrees'... now I'm not sure if dent will change their perception as well or not...

Honestly, it somewhat makes sense... like why the F##k would a music major/compsci major switch over to medicine... there is hardly any correlation present (and I think medicine realized this and adjusted accordingly)

Man, oh man! I'm so happy that I drew 'Microbiology and Immunology' from a hat 2 years ago among all the other possible majors. It felt tough at the time, but luck moves in strange ways.

Even the MMI is based on luck, you may or may not be aware of a particular topic... so luck plays a huge part :(

I'm thinking the new reforms will include a 100% draw in which 100 names are drawn outta big top hat. Because that's as lucky as an admissions process can get. :cool: No problem, bring it on luck. :cool:

Guest CR7>MESSIah

These memes are dope!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...169 199_n.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-XLrkyEkayY...laPaladino.jpg

http://ct.fra.bz/ol/fz/sw/i45/5/3/23...Wha-537135.jpg

http://us14.memecdn.com/messi-vs-ronaldo_c_248602.jpg

And a bonus!

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq...7mhao1_500.jpg

I'm sorry I like ronaldo you guys. My doctor diagnosed me with retarditis today. Hopefully that explains it. The treatment involves acknowledging MESSIah is better which includes checking out memes lol.

Guest CR7>MESSIah

WOW,

So is anyone going to bid for the identity?! God, 007_David you think you're so funny. What is "007" anyways...u tryin 2 be jamez bond or somting?@

Sory for mi engrish every1. It gtes progresviley worz sru out ze day.

But serusily, david stop beig a tough guy.

Oh and econ isn't hard, just gtta nail the grpahs. :cool:

WOW' date='

So is anyone going to bid for the identity?! God, 007_David you think you're so funny. What is "007" anyways...u tryin 2 be jamez bond or somting?@

Sory for mi engrish every1. It gtes progresviley worz sru out ze day.

But serusily, david stop beig a tough guy.

Oh and econ isn't hard, just gtta nail the grpahs. :cool:[/quote']

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/internet-memes-we-got-a-bamboo-over-here.jpg

And yeah 'pokaroo', word on the street is that there will be new changes implemented/introduced this July regarding the admissions system/process.

Also, if anyone wants to know what it'd feel like to be CR7>MESSIah for a day or two please send me a private message. We can start the bidding at 2 bucks since the password was so pitifully easy to obtain.

mmm no they can do whatever they please. the change to 65/35 was made for the proceeding cycle, same with mcat removal, etc.

Those were not major changes. If they remove best 2 year average, they will be putting hundreds of applicants at a disadvantage. 65/35 just put more weight on the interview which none of the applicants have done. 2 year average is something applicants cannot improve or prepare for.

• 2 weeks later...

Possible changes: Four year degree requirement (to be completed by the end of application cycle) and increase of required MCAT score

Admission office also said it is unlikely that upcoming application cycle will be affected but we gotta wait till july :confused:

Didn't U of Calgary take out their best 2 years policy last year and was effective this year? These changes are drastically changing students planning, what about all the students that moved in province and then found out u of c changed their policy? These changes should allow for a few years for things to take affect, similar with sask with best 2 years :(

Didn't U of Calgary take out their best 2 years policy last year and was effective this year? These changes are drastically changing students planning, what about all the students that moved in province and then found out u of c changed their policy? These changes should allow for a few years for things to take affect, similar with sask with best 2 years :(

Yeah these things do rapidly mess up peoples plans. Overall schools do have a tendency to just change things though without a lot of warning - that is way banking on one or two schools is risky. I remember with Ottawa dropped the grad program option a few years ago - I had two friends doing a masters at Ottawa specifically to qualify to for that - that didn't work out so well :(

What about people who fast-track with their degree? It would've been four years but they did it in 3 1/2?

Coz I'm thinking of fast-tracking.

They require 4 year degree. They don't care if it takes you 3 years to complete 4 year degree. 4 year degree is a 4 year degree LOL

Didn't hear anything about removing best 2 year average. I think sask is doing what uwo does. They look at best 2 years but require a 4 year degree. I don't think it has to be honours degree though.

They require 4 year degree. They don't care if it takes you 3 years to complete 4 year degree. 4 year degree is a 4 year degree LOL

ok cool, just wondered coz u know how right now. summer courses dont count and they only look at courses taken from september to april. in order to fast-track you'd need to take some summer classes.

thanks for the answer!

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to let people know that it seems that new changes are starting to show up on the admission web site. Nothing in relation to specific admission requirments, but some date changes are appearing:

"The deadline to apply for fall 2013 entry is October 15, 2012 - 11:59 PM CST. Applicants will be informed early February regarding status of their applications and interview offers."

So basically no longer the 31

• 2 weeks later...

Just heard from the med office that the requirements will stay the same for the upcoming cycle. However, they will be moving to a 4-year degree requirement for the year after that. Applicants will need to be in their final year or have completed a 4-year degree in order to apply.

Archived