Premed 101 Forums

2 best years avg...not anymore?

The admissions commitee should just give equal weight to any major, but then require everyone to write the MCAT. That way, everyone is writing the same standardized test, which still tests on the sciences. Then, the committee can decide who's (academically) prepared for medical school, based on the MCAT scores and the academic GPA. I think that's more fair.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The admissions commitee should just give equal weight to any major, but then require everyone to write the MCAT. That way, everyone is writing the same standardized test, which still tests on the sciences. Then, the committee can decide who's (academically) prepared for medical school, based on the MCAT scores and the academic GPA. I think that's more fair.

the problem with the mcat is that it isn't a good test. because it is standardized, upper middle class white males will do better on it (as for ALL standardized tests.) it's also not a good predictor of who will be a good doctor and who won't. however I agree with it only because it shows effort.

what the U of S really needs is a DEGREE REQUIREMENT.

the problem with the mcat is that it isn't a good test. because it is standardized, upper middle class white males will do better on it (as for ALL standardized tests.)
And, I don't think university grades fare much better in this regard, yet grades also bring in the problem of people being evaluated on completely different standards, detracting from the possibility of comparing applicants fairly
it's also not a good predictor of who will be a good doctor and who won't.
According to who's definition of a good doctor? Yours? How have you even determined this? And what do you think is a better predictor and what reason do you have for thinking so?
however I agree with it only because it shows effort.

what the U of S really needs is a DEGREE REQUIREMENT.

Agreed

As well (MAJOR THING) they are revising the marking system (but again the person did not shed any info on it...)

WHat does this marking system mean? You mean the current weighting on grades/interview will change?

The person didn't give me details... lol... it was a family friend (who came over for supper) and just talked with my parents... and I just informally asked him about things... not much details known about how the marking system might change... but all I know - change is coming.

As well, the person asked me what degree I was doing... apparently, college of medicine will factor in the degree background students come from... (basically, they will give preference to people from a biochem, phys-pharm, immuno... rather than someone in geo, sociology, music, kin... etc)... asked the person why they plan on doing this... the response was "due to increasing averages over the past few years... most of the >90% was due to people taking 'easier degrees'... now I'm not sure if dent will change their perception as well or not...

Honestly, it somewhat makes sense... like why the F##k would a music major/compsci major switch over to medicine... there is hardly any correlation present (and I think medicine realized this and adjusted accordingly)

As well, the person asked me what degree I was doing... apparently, college of medicine will factor in the degree background students come from... (basically, they will give preference to people from a biochem, phys-pharm, immuno... rather than someone in geo, sociology, music, kin... etc)... asked the person why they plan on doing this... the response was "due to increasing averages over the past few years... most of the >90% was due to people taking 'easier degrees'... now I'm not sure if dent will change their perception as well or not...

Do you think a degree in Biology, Chemistry, or Physics will be favored? Or does it have to be a BMSC degree?

Haha everyone thinks they know what makes the best doctor. Usask's system is/will be, what they are selecting for. The variability across med schools clearly shows there isnt a single "correct" way of doing it. They could just have a random lottery and still end up with a competitive batch.

Regarding degree preferences; there is certainly a lot information missing that would be needed to develop a better plan (from ther student's perspective). How much preference? Which degrees? Starting when? etc

Meh

Yeah thats true... don't know how they will compare degrees??? But I'm glad they do, at least makes the playing field on level (not going to be a 99% music student vs 87% Biochem student anymore)

We'll just have to wait till July and see when the detailed changes come out...

Bio, chem, phys... they seem relevant (not really sure if they would be taken into preference or not...) But honestly I would believe, the 4 main ones that would be MOST applicable would be (Phpy/Pharm, Immuno and Cell biol, Anatomy, Biochem)

Knowing a few friends in medicine, they tell me most of what you cover in medicine will be coming from each of these fields... so its common sense to assume, the college would give preference to students emanating from these fields... bu again don't take my word for it, I'm just assuming...

Oh well, I guess I won't change degrees to biol... just to be on the safe side of things... :(

I still think the MCAT is the best way to go, for these reasons:

-Students working towards a degree in the sciences (or with science degrees already) will find the MCAT easier, while those with non-science backgrounds will have to work harder if they want to get a high score.

-Everyone takes the same test, so it's more fair.

On another note, do you think the College of Medicine will start looking at two different averages, like they do in Pharmacy?

The average for the prerequisites alone, and then the overall average for all classes taken?

That way, there will be two different averages, where each is given a different weight.

Honestly, it somewhat makes sense... like why the F##k would a music major/compsci major switch over to medicine... there is hardly any correlation present (and I think medicine realized this and adjusted accordingly)

Because that's where the money is. It's very hard to make a decent living with a career in music, unless you're exceptionally talented or very lucky.

Many students go to university to pursue something that they are truly interested in, but then switch to something completely unrelated because they realize the difficulty of finding a good job in their field of interest.

I still think the MCAT is the best way to go, for these reasons:

-Students working towards a degree in the sciences (or with science degrees already) will find the MCAT easier, while those with non-science backgrounds will have to work harder if they want to get a high score.

-Everyone takes the same test, so it's more fair.

I also think they will bring in the MCAT requirement again for the same reason. Even though I'm a science major and it would benefit me, I don't think they will give preference to any particular degree because med schools like 'diversity'. But this might be too much of a change to announce it in July...

I also think they will bring in the MCAT requirement again for the same reason. Even though I'm a science major and it would benefit me, I don't think they will give preference to any particular degree because med schools like 'diversity'. But this might be too much of a change to announce it in July...

I agree. Diversity is still important. It's just a matter of selecting students who will be prepared for the medical school curriculum, but still have interests/skills in other areas.

I think students should be free to major in whatever they want, without penalty. If admissions really want students who are academically prepared for medical school, they should make the MCAT mandatory for every applicant.

That way, premeds can major in music, kinesiology, or whatever else they want. But if they lack the knowledge and discipline to do well on the MCAT, they won't get in. And based on what I've heard, the MCAT is fairly hard. When I skimmed through the preparatory books, I see materials in biochemistry, among others. You still have to know the Citric Acid Cycle and various metabolic pathways if you want to do well.

So in the end, students who take BMSC courses will still have more advantage. If students in music, kinesiology, arts, etc want to get into med school, they'll have to put in much more blood and sweat over the MCAT in order to nail it. So there is no need to give preference to students pursuing degrees in BMSC.

So in the end, the MCAT is fair game.

I'm being sexually assaulted by the beauty of the above comment... GENIUS! Never really thought of that... that would be fair game!!! But then the 35% to 65% would change and I'm thinking they'll weigh interviews less...

But then again... would the U of S system really regress??? They removed the MCAT for 'some' reason... do we honestly believe they'll bring it back again...

Yeah, I might re-take the MCAT... but will wait until July to see the news... FINGERS CROSSED FOR NO MCAT... but degree preference!!!

And based on what I've heard, the MCAT is fairly hard.
No, not as far as required knowledge base is concerned, and usask's required minimums were quite easy to attain as it was
You still have to know the Citric Acid Cycle and various metabolic pathways if you want to do well.
You should probably know what it is but you definitely don't have to know it, it wouldn't even help
So in the end, students who take BMSC courses will still have more advantage. If students in music, kinesiology, arts, etc want to get into med school, they'll have to put in much more blood and sweat over the MCAT in order to nail it. So there is no need to give preference to students pursuing degrees in BMSC.
Yes

I'm being sexually assaulted by the beauty of the above comment... GENIUS! Never really thought of that... that would be fair game!!! But then the 35% to 65% would change and I'm thinking they'll weigh interviews less...

But then again... would the U of S system really regress??? They removed the MCAT for 'some' reason... do we honestly believe they'll bring it back again...

Yeah, I might re-take the MCAT... but will wait until July to see the news... FINGERS CROSSED FOR NO MCAT... but degree preference!!!

Not sure if serious haha. This topic has been discussed numerous times before and im sure the adcoms are aware of it. However, like Boss mentioned, the test is not as reliant on technical knowledge unless you are aiming for a really high score. I would still take an easier degree. Another reason the MCAT isnt a good test imo is because, medicine is about consistency not intelligence. Then again, Manitoba still chooses to weigh it heavily.

P.S- Dont know why you consider everyone in music to be a magically prodigy who will get 99%. I assure you that the work ethic required to get 99% in an easy degree will definitely get you more than 87% in BMSC... trust me i tried. Additionally, if you think the degree preference will be great enough to make a 99% on level playing field with an 87%, you are grossly mistaken.

Not sure if serious haha. This topic has been discussed numerous times before and im sure the adcoms are aware of it. However, like Boss mentioned, the test is not as reliant on technical knowledge unless you are aiming for a really high score. I would still take an easier degree. Another reason the MCAT isnt a good test imo is because, medicine is about consistency not intelligence. Then again, Manitoba still chooses to weigh it heavily.

P.S- Dont know why you consider everyone in music to be a magically prodigy who will get 99%. I assure you that the work ethic required to get 99% in an easy degree will definitely get you more than 87% in BMSC... trust me i tried. Additionally, if you think the degree preference will be great enough to make a 99% on level playing field with an 87%, you are grossly mistaken.

1+

OP mentioned that he/she did not take full course load in University of Toronto, and that marks from those years may be take into account for admission purposes once the new requirement criteria takes place in July. Could this one has to do with not just counting years with full courses-load , but instead all years???

I took MCAT, and I have to say at least I did not find anything relevant to Medicine in it. In fact, it so based on luck, and I see it more as mere opportunity of AAMC to earn money [waiting for fingers to be put at me].

I took MCAT, and I have to say at least I did not find anything relevant to Medicine in it. In fact, it so based on luck, and I see it more as mere opportunity of AAMC to earn money [waiting for fingers to be put at me].

No, it's actually quite statistically robust; generally people scores won't fluctuate much without good reason, so to say it's based on luck is mostly false.

No, it's actually quite statistically robust; generally people scores won't fluctuate much without good reason, so to say it's based on luck is mostly false.

I agree. The scores are usually consistent if a person takes the MCAT multiple times. But I have to say, the MCAT does not test on pure knowledge alone, but also your test-taking skills!

What I meant was what you are going to be tested on is mostly based on luck, not the marks itself. When I took the MCAT, there was only one passage on Physics, and I had not taken Physics, and mostly focused on Physics!

Same goes for university exams - they also depend on luck. You're expected to know everything, but you're only tested on a small portion of it. Sometimes, a concept taught in class isn't even tested on the exam, but you're still expected to know it because it might be on the exam.

Archived