Premed 101 Forums

TERRRIBLE video...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say sorry but this was by the far one of the WORST interview videos that I have seen in a long timee.. sorry Mac, for being all stuck up in being "innovative" this move sucked!

You guys can decide for yourself - but looking at how impressive Queens & Western were.. Mac really can't even start to compete

Compete with what? A video? WTF is wrong with you?

Compete with what? A video? WTF is wrong with you?

Well to play devil's advocate it is possible that the quality of the video has an effect on one's perception of the school. Ie. at western where the video was hilarious one may have had more fun during the interview day and associate these feelings with their perception of the school, whereas when comparing it to mac the video was pretty subpar so then people may have had less of a good time compared to the time they had at another school and it just may subconsciously skew one's thoughts on a school...maybe i dunno hahah i just wrote a bunch of BS.

As an aside I still think Mac's video from 3 years is the best med interview video ever:

Well to play devil's advocate it is possible that the quality of the video has an effect on one's perception of the school. Ie. at western where the video was hilarious one may have had more fun during the interview day and associate these feelings with their perception of the school, whereas when comparing it to mac the video was pretty subpar so then people may have had less of a good time compared to the time they had at another school and it just may subconsciously skew one's thoughts on a school...maybe i dunno hahah i just wrote a bunch of BS.

As an aside I still think Mac's video from 3 years is the best med interview video ever:

lol that is amazing

LOL. I would think people make more informed decisions: informed by the length of the program, teaching styles, living, fit, etc. Maybe its just me, but I surely wouldn't be influenced by a 10 minute video made by some delerious, possibly drunk, med students.

And most interviewees aren't even paying attention.

LOL. I would think people make more informed decisions: informed by the length of the program, teaching styles, living, fit, etc. Maybe its just me, but I surely wouldn't be influenced by a 10 minute video made by some delerious, possibly drunk, med students.

And most interviewees aren't even paying attention.

Lol im in no way saying that people are solely influenced by a 10 min video..but an overall more fun, better interview day experience could very likely, albeit perhaps slightly, influence one's perception of the school..obviously choosing a school requires various factors to be considered

I have to say sorry but this was by the far one of the WORST interview videos that I have seen in a long timee.. sorry Mac, for being all stuck up in being "innovative" this move sucked!

You guys can decide for yourself - but looking at how impressive Queens & Western were.. Mac really can't even start to compete

You felt so strongly about this video that you only decided to create an account to share this, rather than for a more meaningful purpose. I feel sad for you.

every school occasional has an off year in the video department (that being said I haven't watched macs this year so I have no idea how good/bad it is )

I think the overall interview day can tell you a lot about the school (guess that includes the video) - just gives you a sense of how well the students work together. I won't pin my decision on the video though :)

Lol im in no way saying that people are solely influenced by a 10 min video..but an overall more fun, better interview day experience could very likely, albeit perhaps slightly, influence one's perception of the school..obviously choosing a school requires various factors to be considered

I'm not going to lie, watching queen's and western's videos made me really want to attend that school! seeing that sense of community is something else. i wouldn't underestimate the power of a good video

I'm not going to lie, watching queen's and western's videos made me really want to attend that school! seeing that sense of community is something else. i wouldn't underestimate the power of a good video

You're absolutely correct.

However, am I the only one that also got that feeling from Mac? I actually really liked their video - it was funny, definitely showed some of the personality of the students, and to be honest - it had a great soundtrack.

The Queens and Western videos were also really funny but I honestly felt as if I could relate better to the Mac one. Maybe that's just me.

If it's such a big problem for the OP, you're welcome to remove yourself from the wait list and give someone else a spot.

Mac's one wasn't bad at all - it's just that Queen's took it really far, and Western just blew the project out of the water. Heck, in 2011, UBC didn't even have a video to show to their applicants.

I agree with others about the importance of the video, but it really is a side-project - a group of students use time out of their busy schedules to show the interviewees whatever they want to show about their school.

I think the response to Mac's video has a lot to do with the nature of its humour. It caters to a particular audience, and not everyone can relate to it or understand it. Especially the part at the end, about what you needed to get into medical school - that had a lot of internet jokes that totally flew over my head.

Holy shit this was embarrassing to watch. Shut it down after 5 seconds. No wonder Mac grads have such poor match rates, their incompetence as demonstrated by the quality of this video is staggering.

troll alert on this thread.

I personally enjoyed mac's video and thought it was well made.. lol.

Personally I think the quality of video matters. Prior to attending the interview at WU, Mac had priority over WU for me. But seeing the epicness of the video and the sense of community amongst Schulich students really gave me a change of heart.

Too bad I choked HARD on the interview. Oh well.

The Sense Of Humor Of This Video Is Complex, It Requires Some Thinking, It Is A Video That Invites Discussion. A Combination Of Elegance, Sarcasm, Introspection. Woody Allen style?. Maybe a description of the video would make it more accessible to everyone :confused: . This video will not be forgotten!!!

Personally I think the quality of video matters. Prior to attending the interview at WU, Mac had priority over WU for me. But seeing the epicness of the video and the sense of community amongst Schulich students really gave me a change of heart.

I don't have an opinion to share about the Mac video...but I agree with what Sfire said. I've heard this from a lot of applicants, that Western had an amazing video and all the med students were awesome, which ended up changing quite a few opinions. A lot of people are deciding to put it as their first choice now (sucks for us who only had an interview there :P )

I think the point many are trying to make is that the atmosphere we feel when we go to interview can significantly alter our decision to go to that school. Of course other things like location, tuition, and program type also play a factor. But if all other things are equal, people look at the students in the program and how they enjoy it to make an ultimate decision.

(Then again I didn't interview at Mac, so all you students could have been just as amazing and persuasive :) )

This really should be a global warning on this website, but leading up to the big decision day, I highly recommend that everyone be weary of people with a handful of posts or even lots of posts for that matter having bad stuff to say about a particular school.

I can't tell you the number of times I've found someone create with a seemingly false account or a second account in addition to their original one they're using on this site to trash a medical school and the original user's posts show that was the only school they interviewed at.

We will ban multiple accounts we find, but this is just a general warning to everyone, not that this thread has anything wrong with it, but it certainly reminded me of a lot of others I've found created with malicious intent.

I don't have an opinion to share about the Mac video...but I agree with what Sfire said. I've heard this from a lot of applicants, that Western had an amazing video and all the med students were awesome, which ended up changing quite a few opinions. A lot of people are deciding to put it as their first choice now (sucks for us who only had an interview there :P )

I think the point many are trying to make is that the atmosphere we feel when we go to interview can significantly alter our decision to go to that school. Of course other things like location, tuition, and program type also play a factor. But if all other things are equal, people look at the students in the program and how they enjoy it to make an ultimate decision.

(Then again I didn't interview at Mac, so all you students could have been just as amazing and persuasive :) )

When I was there, I found the student presenters (or, well, one of them at least) to be extremely condescending, and even rude. I feel they did a good job selling the school when I was interviewing there, and that it would be an amazing school to attend - but this opinion was certainly not formed as a result of the students I met.

Archived