Premed 101 Forums

How many of you have a mac?

Do you have a mac?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have a mac?

• Yes
    • No

Macs are status symbol computers... except that unlike typical status symbols (cars, big houses), they actually perform worse than their budget counterparts. Any self respecting computer enthusiast will attest to this.

for once I agree with atomsmasher. even at the library 80% of the computers are macs. ridiculous

not if u run logic, pro-tools, adobe design suite, get ur mac like replaced twice over the course of the warranty, basically nothing touches mac for arts focus and getting my computer fixed, likely replaced, in a day… intangibles yo… plus they're simple for comp retards like me.

for once I agree with atomsmasher. even at the library 80% of the computers are macs. ridiculous

In my opinion it's mostly people who don't know much about computers falling for Mac's marketing. I'm not sure whether AtomsmasherXI's post got deleted or is from a different discussion but it's mostly true.

Macs generally do less for more money. This is not an attack on muse87 at all but there are equivalent programs without the Mac brand for less money that do the same thing as Logic and Pro Tools. You can even do everything those programs can do with free programs although the free stuff tends to be less user-friendly. The "Macs are better for art" thing isn't really true anymore; it's all about the software, and when it comes to the open source free stuff, Mac is at a huge disadvantage (they used to come with better stuff prepackaged compared to Windows maybe 12 years ago but not anymore.)

I personally don't like the idea about Macs being easier to fix. I'm sure they have very good, prompt customer support, but once your warranty is up you're pretty screwed and a single component failing, even just the keyboard or the on/off button, will force you to replace the entire machine or pay a large amount for repair.

everything in my house is wireless with airport, i even have a couple guitars rigged out of amps into airport and onto my comp, thats like 300 bucks savings right there, it's not an attack back either, for me, it's just easier to use, i have a locate my the clouds a breeze, never lose my iphone.. i got all the high end programs for free, if u look hard enough u can find them, plus nice diagrams for SPSS, mac's just simple, n i get like 3 computers in 3 years, n never wait more than a day for a repair… lol, pc's rock too. too each their own, i just dont need hcore processing power, lol. plus, those replacement's are free, and like i said, i can sell my 3 yr old mac for 700 bucks.

In my opinion it's mostly people who don't know much about computers falling for Mac's marketing. I'm not sure whether AtomsmasherXI's post got deleted or is from a different discussion but it's mostly true.

Macs generally do less for more money. This is not an attack on muse87 at all but there are equivalent programs without the Mac brand for less money that do the same thing as Logic and Pro Tools. You can even do everything those programs can do with free programs although the free stuff tends to be less user-friendly. The "Macs are better for art" thing isn't really true anymore; it's all about the software, and when it comes to the open source free stuff, Mac is at a huge disadvantage (they used to come with better stuff prepackaged compared to Windows maybe 12 years ago but not anymore.)

I personally don't like the idea about Macs being easier to fix. I'm sure they have very good, prompt customer support, but once your warranty is up you're pretty screwed and a single component failing, even just the keyboard or the on/off button, will force you to replace the entire machine or pay a large amount for repair.

not if u run logic, pro-tools, adobe design suite, get ur mac like replaced twice over the course of the warranty, basically nothing touches mac for arts focus and getting my computer fixed, likely replaced, in a day… intangibles yo… plus they're simple for comp retards like me.

Nothing Adobe makes is limited to Mac OS...

Anyway, Apple also makes a lot of ****ty, buggy, slow-as-**** software (iTunes, iPhoto) and as of Snow Leopard Macs run into weird battery issues as they grow older.

And SPSS? :rolleyes:

Anyone doing serious statistics uses R and - regardless - there isn't a single package unique to Mac OS.

Apple's hardware is okay, but ridiculous things like trying to phase out optical drives or limiting USB ports or shipping "high-end" laptops with integrated video are unacceptable and stupid. Anyway, the Mac angle for "arts" or "graphics" was relevant c. 1997 and hasn't been since then.

(Posted from my MacBook Pro)

A mbp or air costs around $250 a year and is my most used item by far. Macs have to be the most cost efficient status symbol in the world.

There is a lot of great free programs for osx. The only thing that I need windows for is utilities for rooting/customizing my phone and touchpad.

How is a mac any harder to fix yourself?

Having attempted to run Ableton Live on both a MacBook and a Sony Vaio with comparable specs, it ran much smoother on Mac OSX especially when MIDI controllers are involved. Considering that I'm making a measly living by doing live electro at clubs, I'd stay with my MacBook just from a semi-professional standpoint due to its ease of use.

Nothing makes me harder than a good ripoff. $1900 + $400 warranty + $300 tax for a 15" laptop? Awww f%ck yeah I love it - just screwing me so hard.

0000000000000000.png

^^ but damn that "logic studio" just makes it all worth it.

Best part of the whole thing though, you can easily install OSX on any computer.

How do you get your mac replaced??

How do you get your mac replaced??

You go to the apple store and give them another $3000.

It's just that easy.

What the man you are quoting was referring to however, was that he made use of his $400 applecare warranty, went to an apple store and they replaced it.

Archived