Premed 101 Forums

Suggestions for a prospective medical student.

MAde my day and it's only 9;34 and I already know this will be the set thing about my day lol

Wow, it seems I underestimated peoples naivety or everyone's desire to help put this has gone on long enough. You guys are supposed to be some of the brightest in Canada but unfortunately your good nature keeps getting taken for a ride and this forum is getting waterlogged with garbage threads. Here is a quick guide to not wasting your time writing good responses for bad people.

1) Did OP make a thread on their first post? If yes did they have a) a signature B) an avatar c) sticky the post with a smile d) rate the post with four stars. If >2 = troll

2) Is the OP an annoying high school student? Do they want a competitive and glamorous specialty? Do they want a lifestyle specialty? If >2 = troll

3) Does the OP have what seems to be a general level of knowledge but accompanied with what can only be concluded are intentionally wrong facts? Ex: You need quebec status to go to McGill but obviously knows McGill is one of the best schools cause they want to go there? If yes then add 1 pt to every other question

4) Does OP respond back immediately as if they are sitting at the computer enjoying the responses they have incited? If yes add 1 pt to every other question.

5) Does the OP question the advice of those who respond? Argue about facts or refuse to check them? Pick up on philosophical or syntactical discrepancies and run with them? If >2 = troll

6) Instead of reading a single thread did the OP post in the general forum a question(s) that could easily be answered by reading any thread anywhere on the forum? Ex: what is the best undergrad. If yes add 1 pt to (1) and recalculate.

7) Did the OP say anything disparaging about a specific school (like UBC in this case) or anything else that is controversial on this board? 1pt to other questions, instant troll if mentioned prostitution.

8) Does the OP incite jealousy or resentment because they allegedly come from a) money B) a family of physicians, and do they come off like an c) overachieving robot with no real life experience d) a gunner e) contestant from "Canadas biggest know-it-all". If >2 = troll.

Please people, don't feed the wildlife.

Wow, it seems I underestimated peoples naivety or everyone's desire to help put this has gone on long enough. You guys are supposed to be some of the brightest in Canada but unfortunately your good nature keeps getting taken for a ride and this forum is getting waterlogged with garbage threads. Here is a quick guide to not wasting your time writing good responses for bad people.

Please people, don't feed the wildlife.

I LOL'd. SO true. Is your troll-spotting methodology stickied?! :)

I really think you should broaden your horizons in terms of your medical school choices but I also think you are jumping the gun. You have not even started university yet and although UBC may be your dream, it might not happen. You need to pick an undergrad degree you will enjoy and that you can maintain a high GPA in. If you want to go to medical school in Canada, it doesn't really matter what undergrad you take (in general, there may be a few exceptions). Once you start university and get a handle on things (maintaining a high GPA - you say you have great grades, but so do A LOT of people coming out of IB, that doesn't really predict your university performance). Once you have a handle on your GPA, then get involved in volunteer experiences (that you enjoy), join clubs, take up some hobbies and hopefully get some research experience. As everyone says, GPA is king so you should make sure that is under control before you take on too much. Ultimately, do things you enjoy because on an application you will be able to say more about it and if you are lucky enough to get an interview, even more.

But, as everyone has been directing you - use the search functions and look at the sticky threads to get a better idea. If everyone who came looking for some answers or an opinion opened a new thread, this site would crash more than it already does.

KMMD and Robin Hood have given you excellent advice!

Another newbie graduating high school from western Canada joined our forum in January. He has no connections to Quebec, although he was born in Quebec. So, from what he learned about our Cegep (college) system, he is now enrolled @ Cegep for August, with the hope that he will be accepted into med school, e.g., McGill, after 2 years of Cegep.

What you can do is come to Montreal for a year. Take a gap year. Do not become a fulltime student. Do volunteering, get a grounding in French, perhaps taking intensive continuing education French courses that will not follow you in terms of grades. Apply to an English speaking Cegep for the following year. With excellent grades and good ECs and volunteering, you could find yourself accepted into McGill's one year program leading digap year rectly to med. And the gap year will enhance your maturity.

Having said all the above, with the gap year, 2 years Cegep and one year undergrad year at McGill (provided you are accepted), this process will take 4 years, so the only benefit, which is not to be sneezed at, is that you shall have obtained Quebec IP status, which will give you a great shot foe acceptance at McGill. If you are not accepted into med from Cegep, you will need to do just 3 years undergrad and apply to McGill med school (and others) as IP during your 3rd and final year of undergrad in Montreal either at McGill or Concordia.

I find your post highly condescending and offensive. "Good posts for bad people"? Is that how it is? This was my first post and I had trouble navigating this forum to find what I needed so I resorted to making this post. I apologize if I have violated any rules or tempered with your tolerance of amaturial posts. Is this how you treat new members? Others have helped, and perhaps you are the most naive. I feel welcomed.

I don't think you should become a doctor then.

I find your post highly condescending and offensive. "Good posts for bad people"? Is that how it is? This was my first post and I had trouble navigating this forum to find what I needed so I resorted to making this post. I apologize if I have violated any rules or tempered with your tolerance of amaturial posts. Is this how you treat new members? Others have helped, and perhaps you are the most naive. I feel welcomed.

Ya she's naive like a fox : D

The point isn't that you're being called a troll- it's more about the fact that its etiquette to visit stickies in any forum when you first join as they usually almost exclusively address the vast majority of typical questions asked by new members. If all that fails, everyone here will be more than willing to assist you. But when people who've been here for years see the same questions over and over again (all because the original poster is too lazy/incompetent to search and do some work on their own)........it gets tedious.

No ill will meant. :)

Searchfunction.jpg

Well, my friends an expert organic chemist, biochemist, pure math, computational mathematician that uses algorithms to make small nano tech peptides hard to make with pcr n trad methods, which take organic chemists months (complex synthesis, carboxylics could form an esther polymer, so math is ur friend for protective agents) in like 2 days… this guy's going to cure parkinsons, cancer, n if i get my way find a way to stim some phosphates that aren't working well enough for me, he just doesn't get that lots of private companies will scratch his back if he does theirs, so he workers for Harper's peanuts in NINT despite high 6 figure offers to start from oil companies… god, i'm trying to talk some business sense into him, this guys a genius but has to realize that lily will make ur insane bioeng dreams come true, if put out anti-psychs selective enough to minimize side effects or put out the ketamine analog (selective g coupled glutamate full antagonist) just in time for all the ssri patents to expire, so they can pump that out for depression n alpha5 inverse agonists in a combined deliv system with benzo's for hoffmann to take back the market @ ten times the price, plus… sex drug pt-141 ( protein similar to melatonin) is almost out, only prob is it's sub-cut injection, i'm sure he could develop an amazing oral delivery system, then he could do all the cancer research he wants with real equipment.

going back to the transfer, he's designed a way to insert n target the Q coenyme in mitochondria… this is what's killing out atp synthesis and causing massive dna n gen oxidation… early death… wow, he showed me algorithm & i was blown away.

i guess the point is maybe you want to do something else, he did all his degrees in diff places, you have to grow up eventually, plus mtl rocks, maybe ull learn french, who knows. the irony is i was telling the dude how much fm guys who he's trailblazing make, & he was like wtf, now he might do med because its easy n nsercs have been harperized… plus with his background, he could point to residency of his choice.

funny how one man's treasure is another man's w/e with a fat pay check, to pay for time to volunteer to do life-changing work on the side for free.

i'm abroad provinces & more or less impoverished, you can tutor me biology, or teach me how you got accepted to mcgill n ubc, i barely got into the local school n not a chance at sciences, that was for the ib kids n the ones the teachers that must have had high gpa's said were smart… n i got my hs diploma on work experience credits, like rite on the mark. i like biology too, just not smart enough to get into the elite halls of the science faculty.

what do you think my chances are at harvard or stanford psychiatry, wut shud i do to guarantee my path there?

thanks for helping, it's nice when high achievers like u help a guy with potential out?

Hello all!

I am currently a BC high school student studying in the IB program. I have great marks, and have a keen interest in Biology. I am currently doing research in Planarian Bio-chemical memory transfers.

I am having some trouble planning the coarse of my future career. I know I'm aiming to become a neurosurgeon, but I rather lost as to through what doors I should approach this. I am lucky though, because I have many doors to choose from, so to speak. Up till recently I was considering going to the McGill Life Science program and then move on from there, but knowing that McGill medical schools require a Quebec resident status, I have had to reconsider. A viable option would be to do an undergrad in UBC Science and a medical degree at the Medical School. Of course, this would be the least costly as I have family support and a residence close to the school.

Is there a great gap between say UBC and McGill in all university aspects? Why would I, like many of my peers, wish to pressure myself and go away to study at a distant university that offers quite the same benefits as UBC, which is improving day by day.

Further: How difficult is it to get into UBC medical? Should I put all my effort starting from now into volunteering in hospitals and going abroad and teaching impoverished kids Biology? What can I do, that would help boost my chances as I now that UBC now doesn't just need a good MCAT and GPA mark.

I would appreciate advise in any aspect and form.

Much appreciated,

Nicholas

Well, my friends an expert organic chemist, biochemist, pure math, computational mathematician that uses algorithms to make small nano tech peptides hard to make with pcr n trad methods, which take organic chemists months (complex synthesis, carboxylics could form an esther polymer, so math is ur friend for protective agents) in like 2 days… this guy's going to cure parkinsons, cancer, n if i get my way find a way to stim some phosphates that aren't working well enough for me, he just doesn't get that lots of private companies will scratch his back if he does theirs, so he workers for Harper's peanuts in NINT despite high 6 figure offers to start from oil companies… god, i'm trying to talk some business sense into him, this guys a genius but has to realize that lily will make ur insane bioeng dreams come true, if put out anti-psychs selective enough to minimize side effects or put out the ketamine analog (selective g coupled glutamate full antagonist) just in time for all the ssri patents to expire, so they can pump that out for depression n alpha5 inverse agonists in a combined deliv system with benzo's for hoffmann to take back the market @ ten times the price, plus… sex drug pt-141 ( protein similar to melatonin) is almost out, only prob is it's sub-cut injection, i'm sure he could develop an amazing oral delivery system, then he could do all the cancer research he wants with real equipment.

going back to the transfer, he's designed a way to insert n target the Q coenyme in mitochondria… this is what's killing out atp synthesis and causing massive dna n gen oxidation… early death… wow, he showed me algorithm & i was blown away.

Mind = Blown

i guess the point is maybe you want to do something else, he did all his degrees in diff places, you have to grow up eventually, plus mtl rocks, maybe ull learn french, who knows. the irony is i was telling the dude how much fm guys who he's trailblazing make, & he was like wtf, now he might do med because its easy n nsercs have been harperized… plus with his background, he could point to residency of his choice.

funny how one man's treasure is another man's w/e with a fat pay check, to pay for time to volunteer to do life-changing work on the side for free.

i'm abroad provinces & more or less impoverished, you can tutor me biology, or teach me how you got accepted to mcgill n ubc, i barely got into the local school n not a chance at sciences, that was for the ib kids n the ones the teachers that must have had high gpa's said were smart… n i got my hs diploma on work experience credits, like rite on the mark. i like biology too, just not smart enough to get into the elite halls of the science faculty.

what do you think my chances are at harvard or stanford psychiatry, wut shud i do to guarantee my path there?

thanks for helping, it's nice when high achievers like u help a guy with potential out?

This, my friends, is the Counter-Troll. Behold his glory; bow down to his magnificence, for it may be the only time in your life that you witness such a species.

Further: How difficult is it to get into UBC medical? Should I put all my effort starting from now into volunteering in hospitals and going abroad and teaching impoverished kids Biology?

I'm sure those impoverished kids will be eternally grateful for the Biology concepts you explain to them hahaha

You have a long way to go. Private message me any questions you have and I would be delighted to help out. You can also visit my website (I have all my reports there) after you pm me and get the code.

You may wish to believe that I am approaching this in a rather naive manner. People used to tell me back in the day that I should aim for the highest. I did that, and it turned out pretty well. I have been accepted to John Hopkins Science, but due to family reasons I will have to stay home. This was my attempt at communicating with some people who have maybe, just maybe, had to make the same decisions.

it's called Johns Hopkins. You sound quite arrogant, you r attempting to communicate with people who have had to make the same decision? So meaning you want to talk to people who had turned down top us undergrad schools?

nvm troll

Archived