Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to May 15

Guest Braces4810

Hello all, I'm a long time lurker and now a forum member. Now seems to be a good time to introduce myself.

I'm am (was?) a fourth year university student who finished exams a few days ago. Currently I'm just trying to enjoy the freedom of no more studying, so not too hard to keep distracted! I'm going to run into problems around May 13 and 14 though...

On the medical school front, I naturally applied to them all but only NOSM would see me. :(

Just as a quick identifier: I was the asian guy with orthodontic braces in Thunder Bay. I met a kind young woman who also had braces and was from the Yukon. I think I have a vague idea who it is though...

Cordially,

Braces4810

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello all, I'm a long time lurker and now a forum member. Now seems to be a good time to introduce myself.

I'm am (was?) a fourth year university student who finished exams a few days ago. Currently I'm just trying to enjoy the freedom of no more studying, so not too hard to keep distracted! I'm going to run into problems around May 13 and 14 though...

On the medical school front, I naturally applied to them all but only NOSM would see me. :(

Just as a quick identifier: I was the asian guy with orthodontic braces in Thunder Bay. I met a kind young woman who also had braces and was from the Yukon. I think I have a vague idea who it is though...

Cordially,

Braces4810

WELCOME Braces!

I have been waiting for you to sign up. The girl from Yukon with the braces is Taiga Girl and the girl next to her was Cboulia from this forum. And the guy picking on you and pressuring you to sign up was me ... happy to have you on board.

Where are you from and what did you just graduate from?

Good luck. Not long now!

Beef

I'm going to run into problems around May 13 and 14 though...

Good news is that most other applicants will feel the same way, and pm101 gets busier around then, making it a good time waster/way to commiserate with other hopefuls.

Its lots of fun watching from the sidelines for me, a great way to pass free time in Attawapiskat instead of watching Endocrinology lectures... To those of you that end up on the west campus (west is best :P) I look forward to meeting you in the new school year.

Guest Braces4810
WELCOME Braces!

I have been waiting for you to sign up. The girl from Yukon with the braces is Taiga Girl and the girl next to her was Cboulia from this forum. And the guy picking on you and pressuring you to sign up was me ... happy to have you on board.

Where are you from and what did you just graduate from?

Good luck. Not long now!

Beef

Oh, you're Real Beef! I was 99% sure Taiga Girl was the girl with braces, but good to confirm.

I'm graduating in June actually, so I guess I'm still technically a student... I've just completed a science degree from the University of Toronto at the St. George campus.

Best of luck to you too, and thanks for the warm welcome!

Guest Braces4810
Good news is that most other applicants will feel the same way, and pm101 gets busier around then, making it a good time waster/way to commiserate with other hopefuls.

Its lots of fun watching from the sidelines for me, a great way to pass free time in Attawapiskat instead of watching Endocrinology lectures... To those of you that end up on the west campus (west is best :P) I look forward to meeting you in the new school year.

I can already image the sleepless nights to come...

braces guy! how's it goin? nice to meet you again. funny how we were sitting next to each other waiting for our interview. so funny how the room was so quiet at first and then you couldn't shut people up....until the first bell rang...

i'm from yellowknife, NWT ( but whenever i tell someone yellowknife they think Yukon....)

speaking of braces...isn't flossing a b**ch?!

Well, as it will be public shortly anyways, I guess I might as well say what I have been up to. In my spare time I have been preparing to testify at the Provincial Government Standing Committee hearings concerning the corruption at Ornge. I may be testifying this Wednesday, but it may be shortly after. I believe I will be the first paramedic to testify.

I left Ornge in the fall of 2009, and returned to air ambulance, although not to Ornge, within a couple days of CEO Mazza being removed from control of the system. In the 2 ½ years in between I got my BSc, was caretaker for my grandmother allowing her to stay in her home a little longer, and in any spare time worked to bring the problems at Ornge to light. If I receive acceptance at medical school it will be the icing on the cake to cap off the last couple years that have been both amazing and incredibly painful at the same time.

Well, as it will be public shortly anyways, I guess I might as well say what I have been up to. In my spare time I have been preparing to testify at the Provincial Government Standing Committee hearings concerning the corruption at Ornge. I may be testifying this Wednesday, but it may be shortly after. I believe I will be the first paramedic to testify.

I left Ornge in the fall of 2009, and returned to air ambulance, although not to Ornge, within a couple days of CEO Mazza being removed from control of the system. In the 2 ½ years in between I got my BSc, was caretaker for my grandmother allowing her to stay in her home a little longer, and in any spare time worked to bring the problems at Ornge to light. If I receive acceptance at medical school it will be the icing on the cake to cap off the last couple years that have been both amazing and incredibly painful at the same time.

Wow ... good luck man on the testimony. It will certainly take your mind of off med for a while. Thanks for doing your part to lessen the disease within our systems.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is not going to be easy. I have to represent both myself and my own experiences, as well as trying to speak for the many front-line workers I have kept in close contact with. Almost all of whom feel that it is still far too dangerous to speak out - even confidentially - - as the management structure remains largely intact and whistle-blower protection remains weak. They feel that what has been done so far has been to try to minimize political fall-out, and have little confidence that serious efforts are being made to improve patient care, safety, relations with allied health care providers, or providing a work environment which is positive and open.

And to respond specifically to RB's comment about the disease, I agree, throughout my career I have had no tolerance for corruption and the misuse of funds. I hope that many more HCWs will start to see that it is in all of our interests to raise health care to a level where such things are unlikely to occur because those who wish to take what is not theirs know that others will not remain silent - first we need to be given the means to do so (ie strong whistle-blower protection).

Originally posted by Wayward son

Thanks for the encouragement. It is not going to be easy. I have to represent both myself and my own experiences, as well as trying to speak for the many front-line workers I have kept in close contact with........ They feel that what has been done so far has been to try to minimize political fall-out, and have little confidence that serious efforts are being made to improve patient care, safety, relations with allied health care providers, or providing a work environment which is positive and open.

That is intense Wayward Son. I can only imagine how difficult it is to prepare for this hearing, especially given the sensitive nature of representing other front line workers who do not want to speak out due to the lack of proper policies to protect whistle-blowers. Nonetheless, I am really glad to hear there are people out there like you who are making the effort to stand up against the corruption and misuse of public funds by ORNGE. I will certainly be keeping my fingers crossed for you next Wednesday and will be looking forward to hearing more about the hearing.

good luck WS, the truth needs to be told. i myself am in a similar situation in my workplace...we do not have 'whistleblower' protection in the Gov. of the NT, although the Union has been fighting for it. as such most people are reluctant to say anything that could be seen as not supporting their employer.

on the countdown note, my May 15 plans have changed so it looks like i will be checking my email at 7am when i get to work ( 9am NOSM time ) !!!

Thanks TG, and best wishes dealing with your current situation. Being from the NT, I don't know if you would be familiar with the Ornge scandal. If you, or anyone else is interested, the Toronto Star has the best coverage and has written 80 stories and counting (which I think must be some kind of record…) since first breaking the scandal in December. We all knew it was big (I told a journalist back in 2009, that I thought it could come close to e-health. Less in terms of money, more in terms of shear brazenness, breadth, and consequences to patients), but I don’t think any of us could have ever imagined just how big a beast it was we were jabbing with a stick.

Very exciting! Our lives change one way or another in 10 days, and in the interim there is not a thing we can do to affect our chances.

except commit some kind of provincial or federal offense... although I suppose that wouldn't change the initial offer, only the response once you send them your police records check... so resist the urge everyone, or at least cover your tracks

good on ya!

You definitely fit into the 'Northern' demographic with sayings like that. I never heard such a thing prior to moving here. You should be admitted right away :D

Back home we call the forest a "forest" or the "woods" ... here its the "bush". Back home a "camp" is a place that you put up a tent and perhaps a bonfire, here it is a freaking fully furnished home with a flat screen TV. Back home we call that a "cottage".

except commit some kind of provincial or federal offense... although I suppose that wouldn't change the initial offer, only the response once you send them your police records check... so resist the urge everyone, or at least cover your tracks

Good points. Thankfully I am too busy to get in much trouble at the moment. But, you never know, if I get accepted the party might get pretty crazy.

I'll be flying back to thunder bay from attawapiskat on the 18th, getting there 9pm-ish... if people are already in town, and get in/get waitlisted/dont get in, maybe we can have a get together... I can talk to some other students who might be arriving around then and maybe we can make it a bit larger... provided there is interest/people in town already, I understand many/most are not

I'll be flying back to thunder bay from attawapiskat on the 18th, getting there 9pm-ish... if people are already in town, and get in/get waitlisted/dont get in, maybe we can have a get together... I can talk to some other students who might be arriving around then and maybe we can make it a bit larger... provided there is interest/people in town already, I understand many/most are not

Sadly I wont be in Thunder Bay then. I have been in and out of TB the last few months at various times. We'll have to wait during the orientation if things go as planned :D

Having said that I would love to be a part of a Premed101 NOSM bash! Where you get to see in person all the ppl you have communicated with and shared anxieties and hopes/dreams with over the past 8 months. Would be a great 'cherry on top' to the whole process. Hoping that all of the premed101 NOSM applicants get in so that the logistics of this would be easy :)

Guest Braces4810
braces guy! how's it goin? nice to meet you again. funny how we were sitting next to each other waiting for our interview. so funny how the room was so quiet at first and then you couldn't shut people up....until the first bell rang...

i'm from yellowknife, NWT ( but whenever i tell someone yellowknife they think Yukon....)

speaking of braces...isn't flossing a b**ch?!

Good to hear from you! I'm home now, so Let the worrying begin!

P.S flossing is such a pain... Only a few more months to go!

Archived