Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to May 15

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am heading out of town for 5 days starting on Tuesday which should keep me distracted with all the sights and sounds of a new city ... that should keep me distracted this week anyway.

Also I have entered myself into two karate tournaments .... nothing like the prospect of getting punched in the head by other blackbelts to take my mind off of more administrative items (med school acceptance) as there is something about real world physical harm that priortizes it above other things on your mind ... namely I am now concered with getting enough training in between now and my two tournaments so I dont get my arse kicked ...

I am working full time at the hospital in respirology while completing two 3-month science courses in a month! Not to mention the volunteering I still enjoy... I have never been so busy... but when I do take sanity breaks I start to look up apartment rental prices in the cities where I have applied- just to stay positive! :-) I also did the 10km Sun Run and I try to get to hot yoga. I am too busy though. I wish I had a homework machine so I could go do something fun... all in the name of completing pre-reqs though! In the end it will be worth it, even if we don't know which year it will be worth it. :o

I just spent the last two days compulsively cleaning my house. I am trying to keep myself busy until I start my summer job next week. I am soo anxious to know if I'm accepted or not. I hate not knowing what I'm going to be doing in the fall because I want to start planning for it! 23 more days!

i work full time as a nurse and have a 2 year old boy, so pretty busy but have been distracting myself with researching Masters programs and looking at housing options in T Bay and Sudbury, you know, just in case....

although there is still a chill in the air today i think spring has finally arrived in Yellowknife! the lake will still be frozen until June though...long sunny days perfect for deck parties!

although there is still a chill in the air today i think spring has finally arrived in Yellowknife! the lake will still be frozen until June though...long sunny days perfect for deck parties!

I can't wait to get back to Yellowknife this summer. My sister's getting married in July so I've decided to stay the whole month. Hopefully I will be excited about starting at a new school (NOSM) in the fall rather than returning to my current school...

i work full time as a nurse and have a 2 year old boy, so pretty busy but have been distracting myself with researching Masters programs and looking at housing options in T Bay and Sudbury, you know, just in case....

That's too funny taiga_gal. I've also been looking at housing options in Thunder Bay and Sudbury. A little wishful thinking :) Otherwise, I've just been keeping myself busy with the various activities I would be doing in my life will be if I'm not accepted like work, exercise etc... NOSM just seems so much more appealing ;)

Funny enough I am in Thunder Bay for the last few days at a Diabetes Conference at the Valhalla hotel and Dr. Mcready, Nephrologist, Associate dean, faculty affairs, NOSM did a talk today. He was losing his voice. He is definitely involved in the admission processs as he was there at the interviews, standing there in a group as all of us interviewees were leaving the basement.

Before his talk he was sitting right next to me at a table next to mine. We were all wearing name tags to identify us, I SO SO badly wanted to say "Excuse me Dr. McCready, have you seen this name ..." raising my name tag, "... in the admissions acceptances list for this year's NOSM class?". Since I have a very unique eastern European name the funny thing is he probably would know whether he had seen it or not. He may not remember for sure where I ended up but he would probably recognize it just because it is such a weird name.

I figured that this behaviour would not be acceptable so I decided against it ... his talk was quite good and I was surprised at how many jokes he told or funny anecdotes he told which made me think for a split second that maybe he could have handled my funny request ... funny because there would be no way in hell he would say anything :)

today i pulled up my email from NOSM inviting me to interview...just wanted to see "Congratulations!" again. hoping to see the same on May 15. but just re-reading the interview email made me feel good, i feel lucky to have made it that far.

does anyone know if we will get an email from NOSM or OMSAS on May 15?

p.s. thanks for your long email on other thread Beef

today i pulled up my email from NOSM inviting me to interview...just wanted to see "Congratulations!" again. hoping to see the same on May 15. but just re-reading the interview email made me feel good, i feel lucky to have made it that far.

does anyone know if we will get an email from NOSM or OMSAS on May 15?

p.s. thanks for your long email on other thread Beef

NOSM. Last year it was sent out by interviews@nosm.ca and I assume it will be the same this year. Generally some time between 9 am and 11 am. I am pretty sure acceptances went out about an hour before waitlist emails that day, but that may have just been the way it seemed. Remember to check your spam filter as it could end up there.

Update on my distractions ...

Came back at midnight from Sault Ste Marie ... its 1:48 am or so and I am still wired. Competed in an open martial arts tournament hosted by one of the Korean Martial Arts clubs up there (I can never remember or pronounce it). Any way I am happy to report I received 1st in the 18-35 yr old heavy weight (over 166 lbs) black belt division for point sparring. Albeit there were only 3 people in the division but hey thats two more people than fighting yourself so it is something:D Quite frequently I get disqualified for excessive contact and my goal was to not get disqualified ... I did hit both of my opponents making one bleed from his eyeb brow but luckily neither of my hits were called. It is point sparring, supposed to be non-contact though they will let us get away with light-mild contact in the black belt division. I also got second in kata (forms) for the same category in hard styles (Shotokan, Goju-ryu/kai, etc) as opposed to soft style (korean martial art). Again only 3 competitors but I am still happy that I competed and let me tell you it was very successful in reducing my obession with NOSM admission. I still get very excited about tournaments just like when I was a kid, I am less nervous now though there is some of that ... more an excitement, passion for competition. I enjoy the adrenaline upcoming sparring gives ... having a clinical desk job which is pretty castrated - lacking excitement and the rush (probably why I am interested in EM++). I only get really nervous when I havent prepped much for competition and I must say I did NOT prep much.

Now onto the next distractor .... one upcoming professional development in Subdury late next week and a conference where I will present the week after that ... should be just enough to hold me through it.

I just got back from Minneapolis. Lots of fun at Horse Expo. I avoided buying a $200 pair of really nice boots when someone else scooped them up in the 5 minutes it took to walk back to the car to get my credit card.

Tomorrow I move, so that'll be another day of distraction. Still working on something to do Tuesday...

14 days left.

Not long now!! It is going to be a hectic week and weekend this week for me so I think this one will fly. Next thing I know there will only be 7 days left :)

Today will be a long boring day ... the clinic left my entire day open for the doctor to send patients down to see me. That never works because the MD is furiously working and never remembers to send them down my way. I prefer having pre-booked pts and not relying on drop ins. Oh well I am getting all kinds of admin work in if nothing else. Though thoughts of med school innervates many free thoughts and wishing I was already an MD so I could be kept busy as well as I hate when there is nothing to do or no one booked .... ugh .... long afternoon ahead.

such a long process.

well kids if u do not hear from me till late on may 15 it is because i promised myself i wouldn't check my email till 5pm...i have an important rendevous on that day and have to be 100% focused...but of course i will be wondering all day what is in my inbox....aaaarrgghhh!

taiga, I can say for sure I wouldn't have the strength to not check. I'm trying to promise myself to limit my checking to once every half hour, rather than continuously clicking the refresh button. I was supposed to be working on the 15th but that shift got switched. I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing: I won't have work to distract me, but if I get bad news that day I'm not sure if I'll want to be at work (or in public :D )

Im going to be at a meeting/workshop thing which will be at a hotel, so there must be a business office with computers/internet. Or better yet hopefully they have wireless in the conference rooms so I can do the constant refresh thing. I know for a fact that if they do not have wireless I will be excusing myself at 10 am, 11 am and 11:30 am and then at our lunch break to check email in the business office. They will think I have a weak bladder or some other ailment.

Archived