Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to May 15

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Temagami.:rolleyes:

Wow, you are up there a bit. Hopefully there is enough to distract you during the wait including high speed internet for some video gaming during your down time from school :D I have one more major research presentation to do then I will be delving back into the video gaming scene hard!

Guest Braces4810
Wow, you are up there a bit. Hopefully there is enough to distract you during the wait including high speed internet for some video gaming during your down time from school :D I have one more major research presentation to do then I will be delving back into the video gaming scene hard!

My Internet is a notch above dial-up :(

YouTube doesn't even work! Fortunately (unfortunately?), FPS make me nauseous, so I get by with other games.

Temagami.:rolleyes:

haha oh wow, I'm from Haileybury (the new Temiskaming Shores), just a stone throw away (in the Northern Ontario sense).

/edit/ and my gamertag on xbox is 'x Shmahh' ... I'm not sure what my psn account is because I only use ps3 for single player games

........ 8..........

... luckily the next four days should go fast due to doing things out of the ordinary.

Heading to Sudbury to get my broken finger checked out tommorow ... going to the 'Hand Clinic', I would like my tendon in my finger reattached after suffering an avulsion fracture a couple of months ago. Need extra stability in the joint for karate.

Heading to Thunder Bay one final time for the Northern Research Health Conference. Will be doing an oral presentation on Friday. With travel and all this will kill three days alone. Need to iron my power suit for the occassion :) After that then I only need 4 days to amuse myself.

My next eight days will be spent finishing a paper I am working on for a class I took this semester called 'Organisms as Instruments' in the Science & Technology Studies program at York. I am writing about the history of primate field studies, practices of representing social stress in model organisms, and critical analysis of stress discourse. I've written about the history of stress research (in rodents) but never about primate studies, so this project is proving interesting but difficult. I am hoping to have it done by the 14th because no matter what I find out Tuesday, I have a strong feeling I won't want to be working on this paper by that point.

Eight more days!

I'll be flying back to thunder bay from attawapiskat on the 18th, getting there 9pm-ish... if people are already in town, and get in/get waitlisted/dont get in, maybe we can have a get together... I can talk to some other students who might be arriving around then and maybe we can make it a bit larger... provided there is interest/people in town already, I understand many/most are not

I am definitely game for any kind of gathering if I am either accepted or high on the waiting list (top 15 or 18).

For those that were wondering, my appearance at the Standing Committee regarding Ornge has been delayed until the 30th of May, which is just as well, as there were some logistical problems on both ends, and being in Thunder Bay meant it was more practical to delay things. Of course that means I am back to waiting for the 15th without a major distraction to take my mind off the wait.

This wait is killing me too. I keep going through these ups and downs: I will get really excited about the possibility, start thinking about how great it will be, etc... then, I will remind myself of the fact that even if I nailed the interview and everything else (which is impossible to really know) then I could still not get in because, lets be honest, there's going to be a lot of awesome and totally qualified people who are not going to get in this year... such is the reality of medschool admission. It's been a real rollercoaster, huh?

When I think about whether I will apply again if I don't get in this year, I think, sure why not? But to be honest, I feel like I've really given it my best (good recommendation letters, good interview, etc...) -- if there was some obvious issue I could address it (although if there was we wouldn't have gotten an interview), but it will be subtle (if we find out at all). It's an expensive and time consuming process; I want to feel like I am moving forward with my life, not remaining stagnant (I'm no spring chicken anymore). Don't get me wrong, I have other things going on (I'll be starting the second year of my phd in the fall), it's just I'd like to commit to something longterm, y'know?

Anyway, I am just airing my anxieties to a friendly audience, thanks :)

i hear ya, fellow yellowknifer...

last nite did some (more) reflecting on the realities of being an MD as i attended and helped at a code blue in our hospital. the ER physician was totally in control with so many interventions taking place in a crazy chaotic environment. i wondered if i could ever do what she was doing....i think given time and skill development i could but that is a long ways off. gotta take that first step though, as all of us pre-meders have...maybe it will take me another attempt at admission, maybe not, but i am grateful to have this opportunity. i am alive and healthy ready to take on challenges whatever direction i go in. i feel pretty fortunate to have this opportunity, especially when i witness events like last nite.

This wait is killing me too. I keep going through these ups and downs: I will get really excited about the possibility, start thinking about how great it will be, etc... then, I will remind myself of the fact that even if I nailed the interview and everything else (which is impossible to really know) then I could still not get in because, lets be honest, there's going to be a lot of awesome and totally qualified people who are not going to get in this year... such is the reality of medschool admission. It's been a real rollercoaster, huh?

I definitely agree with u! At this point I am convinced I'm not getting in this year. I just can't take the wait anymore! I've been going to the gym for 3 hours every night this week trying to get my mind off of this lol

Taiga gal- I love your attitude towards med school! Very inspirational :)

... gotta take that first step though, as all of us pre-meders have...maybe it will take me another attempt at admission, maybe not, but i am grateful to have this opportunity. i am alive and healthy ready to take on challenges whatever direction i go in. i feel pretty fortunate to have this opportunity, especially when i witness events like last nite.

Yup, you're absolutely right - just gotta take this stuff in stride, it's not the end of the world either way. And I can spend more time really thinking if this is the path I want to pursue ... maybe neither medschool nor academia is the place for me (although I am pretty damn sure it's the former, haha). Anyway, thanks for listening to me gripe.

5 days. Holy crap.

Its amazing how slow it has gone by but time has a way of eventually getting to the D-day ... so here we are in the low single digits. I am looking forward to a decision either way I mean I just want to get on with whatever options I am given ... med school or improving home theater/kitchen reno ... just let me know:D

Also I must quickly say that I appreciated the regular NOSM sub-forum members who contributed to make this wait a bit more bearable even if it was just a short post or a rant.

A couple times a day I log into Premed see all the countdown threads and then have Europe's "The Final Countdown" playing through my head for at least an hour.

Haha, I do the same (but no Europe). I don't know what I'm looking for on all these countdown threads, but it's nice to see how many other people are experiencing the same anxieties, hopes, and optimism. The last few months seemed to have flown by (I still remember my extreme delight, and surprise, at getting an invitation to the interview), but now it feels like time is at a standstill... 5 more days, can you believe it?

Haha, I do the same (but no Europe). I don't know what I'm looking for on all these countdown threads, but it's nice to see how many other people are experiencing the same anxieties, hopes, and optimism. The last few months seemed to have flown by (I still remember my extreme delight, and surprise, at getting an invitation to the interview), but now it feels like time is at a standstill... 5 more days, can you believe it?

the almost year from application to acceptance goes pretty fast all in all... but the first year seems to go even faster... there is no way I feel like I should be finishing the first year already...

Yeah there is a glitch that has lost the last 2-3 days worth of posts. Very strange. I went to look at an older post of mine and wondered why the moderators would have deleted it only until I noticed that there were no new posts for a few days

.... a glitch in the Matrix .... take the red pill and you will wake up and think this was all a dream, take the blue pill and I will show you how deep this rabbit hole goes....

Archived