Premed 101 Forums

In the event of non-admission...

I am just curious to hear from those who've applied before... In the event of non-admission (rather than rejection, since getting an interview definitely suggests we're desirable candidates), is there any kind of detailed feedback? In other words, are we told *why* we were not accepted, so we can focus on improving certain areas, or are we left without specific understanding? Thanks all! I really appreciate this community's solidarity during these anxious times -- everyone I met at the interview site and on this forum have been nothing short of amazingly keen and helpful, and I know those of us lucky enough to be admitted will no doubt become some truly superb physicians :)

After my last application to NOSM I was able to make an appt with a NOSM staff person who reviewed my application and gave me specific information ... told me I had a low context score ... this was after rejection (i.e. no interview).

I recall Wayard Son stating that they gave him feedback last year that his GPA was held back a bit and he upped it this year, amongst other variables, so it seems that if you ask for post-non-admission advice they do give it to you.

My review was not a NOSM application file review, where they rooted up my OMSAS file or anything that official ... he more or less just looked at my resume/CV, unofficial transcripts I brought in to the appointment.

I have never before got an interview, prior to this year, so I can not say whether at some point they keep your assessment score and can tell you specific information like "Your Essays scored below average" or "Your interview was weak". Perhaps previous applicants who interviewd and sought feedback can chime in whether they can look into this type of specific information ....??

when i was placed on the reserve waitlist 2 years ago, I emailed nosm to get some feedback. I was emailed back a very generic response suggesting improvements most of us already know. Any feedback would have been helpful. This forum is by far the most helpful.

I have never before got an interview, prior to this year, so I can not say whether at some point they keep your assessment score and can tell you specific information like "Your Essays scored below average" or "Your interview was weak". Perhaps previous applicants who interviewd and sought feedback can chime in whether they can look into this type of specific information ....??

My understanding is that most medical schools refuse to give specific information on the application process. General info based on CV etc such as what Beef got is fair game if you seek it out, but is generally only to the level that you could largely work out yourself... if you are hoping to see your scores, and how many points you were short etc... dont get your hopes up. Unfortunately, the 'mystery' of the interview process is largely a necessary evil to prevent unfair advantages and gaming of the system.

The only advice I ever got, although this was from an Ottawa rejection, I was accepted first attempt to NOSM, was that my academics were sufficient but my autobiographical sketch held me back (rejected pre interview).

Archived