Premed 101 Forums

Family med residency locations

Guest windymountain2003

Guest windymountain2003

I am hoping to do family medicine. I am wondering which Canadian programs are based from smaller communities and do not require you to live in a big city. I recently visited McMaster, and although I loved the faculty and teaching style, I just couldn't see myself living in such a big city and dealing with the traffic each day. Commuting is one of my main concerns- I feel like spending two hours in a car each day means 2 hours per day of wasted life;) I am wondering if anyone knows of any programs that require minimial commuting time between teaching sites etc.

Thanks,

WM

Guest desiguy8179

there are a lot of rural programs in FM,thunderbay and sudbury among those in Ont.i dont think commuting is such a big deal in hamilton.its not that congested.In rural programs,one needs to have a car as hospitals may be located far off,ironically toronto downtown hospitals are closeby if you want to avoid car and live in vicinity.

Guest DrSahsi

I did my residency in Hamilton. When I lived in the city, my maximum commuter time for in-city rotations was 25 minutes -- trying to get to St. Joes or the Henderson from Ancaster in the middle of rush hour traffic. I could usually get most places in about 10-15 if I planned right.

This of course all completely went to sh-t when I moved out of the city, but that's the price I was willing to pay at that time. If you pick a more central Hamilton location (many live near St. Joes downtown) your "commuter time" plummets.

[-RSS]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Littlest Zooropa

The absolute best family medicine residency program in all of Canada is in :DSydney, NS:D on the island of Cape Breton (Dalhousie university family med). Because there are no other residents (asides from 7 family med residents) the family med residents can do ANYTHING they want.

When I was a first year:

I was FIRST assist on an emergency aorto-bifemoral bypass graft (!!!) :rollin (and everything else, too!)

C-sections

Ketamine'd kids in the ER for suturing

ER trauma

CCU disasters

etc. etc. etc.

Anything you want to learn, they'll teach you!

Sydney is not a big city, but the people are SO FRIENDLY (even the SURGEONS are great)! It never gets cold (max. min. temp was seventeen degrees below C last year!) It snows A LOT and it rains A LOT, but you are surrounded by the ocean and the highlands of the island are the most beautiful place on earth.

There is a big apartment complex where the residents live (George street) within walking distance of the hospital, and when I was house-hunting here was a house for sale ACROSS THE STREET from the hospital. Housing is VERY VERY cheap and there is no such thing as a traffic jam (unless you're trying to get through the Tim Horton's drive-thru).

Check it out!

• 1 month later...
Guest physiology

Hello,

UBC has tremendous diversity when it comes to family medicine. Here are the options:

Greater Vancouver Site (formerly Vancouver City Site), CaRMS Code 857520

Vancouver- St. Paul's, CaRMS Code 857620

Vancouver - Aboriginal Program, CaRMS Code 857720

Okanagan-RuralCaRMS Code 857820

Victoria CaRMS Code 857920

Chilliwack CaRMS Code 858120

Northern (Prince George), CaRMS Code 858220

Northern-Rural (Prince George), CaRMS Code 858320

Every family medicine training program at UBC has a mandatory rural component, provided that the training isn't rural-based to begin with.

UBC has adopted a more geographical approach with training, with the belief that physicians trained in those areas, stay there.

St. Paul's hospital is located in downtown Vancouver, but the program focusses on inner city issues and therefore provides a more biopsychosocial view (harm reduction, marginalized populations, etc) on health care.

Chilliwack is a medium sized city in the Fraser Valley, just east of Vancouver.

The only thing is that I believe all UBC family medicine residents all have to spend some time in Vancouver, so traffic can obviously be bad when you're living in Van.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Littlest Zooropa

Hi Rubberoduck,

In response to your question, absolutely not. In your third/fourth year of medicine, you prepare applications to all the residency programs you would like to attend. The residency programs make their decisions based on the quality of the applicants; only two of the seven at Cape Breton in my year were actually from the maritimes.

Cheers,

LZ

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rubberoduck

thanks zooropa

what qualifications would be stressed in semi-underserved areas like NS? I assume that they would be quite different from hospitals in big cities like Toronto. Am I wrong?

re: family med at UBC..

anyone know anything about some new residency spots opening in Nanaimo? I hear there will be 3, with one based in Nanaimo, but working primarily in Tofino!

Guest marbledust
I hear there will be 3, with one based in Nanaimo, but working primarily in Tofino!

I applied to Victoria family med--which would be awesome. But Nanaimo/Tofino would be even sweeter. :)

My problem is I want to live on the Island, but don't want to leave Calgary. I know an English prof that commutes back and forth, but I don't think you can do that while being a resident :P

Hey,

I dunno, they haven't updated their website in over a year. I am wondering how many residency spots they are adding this year. I didn't know they had a Nanaimo site. I too would love to be on the island but I really wanna be back home in Vancouver. GVS is going to be my number one choice. I talked to Dr. Donlevy, the site director for GVS, via email, she's pretty nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest piazzolla

I'd be interested in the answer to gotrumpet's question, too. Does anyone know how many non-UBC and non-BCer residents there are, of the 12 or 13 Greater Vancouver spots for family med? Thanks.

Archived