Premed 101 Forums

Research-intensive residencies?

Pretty much every residency program has an expectation that everyone does some amount of research, and is willing to support additional time you want to put into that (ex. 4 weeks of research instead of electives, etc). Some programs such as Community Medicine, Medical Microbiology, Medical Biochemistry have research built in more formally and usually allow a Master's degree to be done concurrently with residency.

Some schools also offer "clinical investigator" or MD-PhD streams of residency where the focus on research is even more overt.

Thank you both! I didn't realize this program existed. It almost sounds like applying to a MD-PhD program all over again, but residency!

I already have a PhD and if given the choice, I'm not sure whether a 3 vs. 4 year MD program would serve me better in terms of a potential career as a clinical invesitgator. I'd be slightly worried about the time gap of most likely having no publications. 1 year doesn't seem like it'd be a big difference, but a lot can happen in just 1 year (research and non-research).

Archived