Premed 101 Forums

Personal Statement and jeopardizing interview opportunity

Guest Paregorics2

Guest Paregorics2

A couple of grammatical errors (obvious cut and paste mistake) and mention of significant other - can these jeopardize chance for interview in a surgical specialty?

Guest cheech10

Doubtful. I've heard from selection committees that the personal statements are so similar to each other that they hardly factor them in at all (ie. they may be worth 20% but everyone gets 14-16 so it doesn't matter). I doubt minor errors would make a difference.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I guess the importance of personal statements differs per program as I've heard the opposite from you re: the importance of them to certain surgical programs. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Paregorics2

Thanks for that answer. I have also heard they have quite a weighting - especially in the smaller surgical programs. I guess one cant kick themselves for making such mistakes.

As per significant other, wont small surgical programs see this as a potential weakness i.e. resident may take time off to tend to raising family. Or can it be a sign of stability and committment, especially if sig other is also a healthcare professional of sort.

point of contention.

Guest marbledust
As per significant other, wont small surgical programs see this as a potential weakness i.e. resident may take time off to tend to raising family. Or can it be a sign of stability and committment, especially if sig other is also a healthcare professional of sort.

I might be wrong, but I can't really see this as an issue for the program. Unless they want to raise questions about your portability--ie are you willing and able to relocate if your partner can't. Otherwise, I am not sure that they would really care if you are involved in a relationship or not.

I would think that the spelling mistakes might be more of a concern for them.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I've always been of the opinion that while personal statements won't really make your application, they can definitely break it, especially if you demonstrate no insight into the program or city you are applying to.

Not sure about the significant other question- you can definitely spin that into an increased likelihood that you will rank said location highly, which is something that PDs like to see. If you have a spouse that is more or less tied down (ie: in some residency program x at location y), you can definitely use that to your advantage.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived