Premed 101 Forums

D'Youville College OT/PT

Hi, have any of you ever considered going to D'Youville College in Buffalo to study your master's in OT or PT? They don't charge international fees, are accredited, and have flexible requirements to get into the program. If yes, then why do you think it would be a good idea to go there? If not, then why do you think its not such a good option?

I actually had a friend who applied and was accepted for this program.

I would suggest taking the doctoral PT program instead of their masters program though. The DPT is what is compared to our programs and for the most part we our regarded around the world as better physios. A masters may nto give you enough. (my opinion only)

Chiropracting seems to be a higher valued program then PT at that school in terms of quality.

The area may not be the most enticing to want to live in, but I think living on the Canadian side would be doable.

On the US PT rankings, its extremelyyyyyyy low (not sure how much stake to put into that) but it has to count for something.

I actually had a friend who applied and was accepted for this program.

I would suggest taking the doctoral PT program instead of their masters program though. The DPT is what is compared to our programs and for the most part we our regarded around the world as better physios. A masters may nto give you enough. (my opinion only)

Chiropracting seems to be a higher valued program then PT at that school in terms of quality.

The area may not be the most enticing to want to live in, but I think living on the Canadian side would be doable.

On the US PT rankings, its extremelyyyyyyy low (not sure how much stake to put into that) but it has to count for something.

I'm asking because I got in there, but I'm anxiously waiting for Friday to find out what happens with the Ontario universities. I was thinking that if I don't get in here, I could go there and come back and do my licensing exam. Do you think that having come from D'Youville would influence my chances of getting a job here?

I was actually thinking about attending D'youville college- but for OT. I was thinking about it because I wanted to work in the US after receiving my degree as A LOT of OT new grads in ontario are saying they are having a very difficult time finding work.

It's good to know they do not charge international fees, but I am a bit worried about the type of reputation this school has within the US and canada... Has your friend graduated from the DPT program yet wings101? If so, does he/she have plans on working in canada or US?

I am having a very difficult time with this becuase I do not want to spend money at a school where I feel my degree wont be recognized later on in either country. However, I have heard of plenty of canadians attending University of Buffalo for OT and PT...and them graduating with multiple job offers.

Anyone who knows more about these programs and job prospects post- graduation, please share!!!

my friend is in the middle of the program... most likely coming back... to get a visa to stay in the US is becomign harder and harder, but as long as you pass the board exam afterwards, then should not be a problem... whenever I looked outside of canada they just recommend contacting the canadian physiotherapy assoc to make sure it is accredited back home!

gl on whatever you choose

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, have any of you ever considered going to D'Youville College in Buffalo to study your master's in OT or PT? They don't charge international fees, are accredited, and have flexible requirements to get into the program. If yes, then why do you think it would be a good idea to go there? If not, then why do you think its not such a good option?

I am a Canadian and just finished my first year of the OT program at D'Youville. If you get into a CDN school, I would go there b/c the programs are shorter and tuition is cheeper, but if Canada isn't an option, I would definitely consider D'Youville. Here is some more info if you're interested.

I have had a very positive experience so far. The professors are great and you can go almost anywhere for your fieldwork placements, including highly ranked hospitals like Johns Hopkins/Mayo/Duke. The fact that these sites continue to accept DYC students says something about the quality of education and preparation that you get at the school. I do have some classmates who want to do their fieldwork in Canada and it's tough to get sites in the GTA b/c the Ontario schools get priority. It's possible, but not guaranteed.

If you want to work in Canada after, you can, but I've been told that because of the timing of the CDN exam (I think it's only offered twice a year?), you might have to wait several months after graduating before you can take it. This isn't the case with the U.S. exam which you can write pretty much any time. I'm not sure how different the CDN exam is from the US exam, but DYC grads have definitely been able to pass and work in Canada so it might be harder but it's possible. I plan to stay in the U.S. after because as someone else mentioned, I think there are more job opps in the states.

The program is pretty easy to get into as long as you have the requirements b/c acceptance is rolling, but you do have to maintain a good GPA to stay in the program and since the fall, many students have decelerated b/c of the workload.

This year there were under 10 Canadians in the program, but in previous years I was told it was close to 50/50.

The school is in a sketchy area close to the Peace Bridge but there are some nice areas close by around Elmwood Village and Delaware Park that I would look into instead of residence.

If you have any questions about it, feel free to msg me. Good luck with your decision!

• 4 months later...

Anyone know if those courses listed on the site for pt are 100% required? I'm not worried about my gpa more so about the specific courses. I haven't taken the following courses:

Chemistry for the Health Sciences I

Chemistry for the Health Sciences II

Chemistry for the Health Sciences Laboratory

Introduction to Physics I and II with labs

Principles of Sociology or Social Problems

Developmental Psychology

Medical Terminology

I only took biochemistry 1 and 2 and only biophysics. That's a lot of courses to take just to apply to one university. Anyone know if they make exceptions to those specific courses for canadians?

Archived