Premed 101 Forums

Help me with line of credit question

Hello all,

Pretty sure not many people had such experience, but did anyone here get a professional line of credit with terrible credit history?

I made a terrible mistake with a couple years ago with my credit card and now have a terrible credit. But I have a sibling who is a doctor (finished residency last year) willing to cosign for me. Can I still get the line of credit?

If you are accepted to a Canadian school they will give you one without a co-signor even if you have a ****ty credit history.

Really? If so, cool. My credit is improving, and will be decent in three years' time, but it won't be spectacular by any means.

This worries me too! I have a few late payments to utilities that report to the bureaus + 40k in debt already!! This is comforting... But i cannot believe that they dont care about credit history

They don't care.

Seriously

Your old life just doesn't matter - they know how much you will make as a doctor in the end. It just blows away all of that.

The banks want you as a long term client. Not because of the LOC - they don't make money on LOC. No one is making a lot of money asking for prime on a loan (take the interest rate - inflation and see what they are really earning before expenses. It isn't much at all. LOCs are basically almost loss leaders) They want you as a client for everything else you will bring in the end - investment banking, business accounts, mortgages, RESPs, RRSPs, those special visa cards you will be paying for, etc, etc, etc. You are a long term cash cow.

To get you as a long term client they give you the LOC. It is that simple.

• 1 month later...
They don't care.

Seriously

Your old life just doesn't matter - they know how much you will make as a doctor in the end. It just blows away all of that.

The banks want you as a long term client. Not because of the LOC - they don't make money on LOC. No one is making a lot of money asking for prime on a loan (take the interest rate - inflation and see what they are really earning before expenses. It isn't much at all. LOCs are basically almost loss leaders) They want you as a client for everything else you will bring in the end - investment banking, business accounts, mortgages, RESPs, RRSPs, those special visa cards you will be paying for, etc, etc, etc. You are a long term cash cow.

To get you as a long term client they give you the LOC. It is that simple.

Thanks for this.

Archived